The New World Translation

by MrsQ 41 Replies latest jw friends

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

I apologise for getting off subject but I can not resist commenting on this thread.

Translations of translations! Why?

What is the motive for creating new translations of a very old sacred text?

The only motive for all these changes that I can see is to change the meanings, or to extract the meanings we would choose. Since none of us really comprehend the origional texts anymore in the sense they were written, then it all comes down to second hand information, or basically gossip! If one is to truly channel Gods Holy Spirit, then why not just start over with a new inspired text, rather then a New World Translation view of a very old text? Why all the claim to be alligned with the "true and pure" vision of the ancient past? Maybe back then it wasn't any more then a vision of what someone channeled then. I think the real message from the Bible, other then just history, is that we should all be able to connect with Holy Spirit and write a current new message to ourselves as a culture, rather then try to continue and validate and argue over the old ones.

The Society would have us believe that it is the annointed with Jesus in heaven who are responsible for translating the NWT and that thier seal of approval is upon this book. However intresting to note that most of the annointed celebrated Christmas and believed in the cross. It is only the great crowd, somehow stuck on the earth forever, not as Revelation shows them in heaven, that seem to need these new translations to correct the errors of Christendom (and most of the old dead annointed as well). The NWT is a bible for earthly followers. Maybe someday they will even correct the rest of the errors. You know the ones showing Jesus had more then one nail in his hands, and that the Great crowd is in heaven...all those errors! The ones that refer to "ALL" Christians drinking Jesus blood and eating his flesh. Or maybe they can write in a few more classes of people and do a little more seperating work....all for Jehovah God ofcorse. I know being a slave for Christ can't be an easy task, and comming out with food at the proper time is hard when all you have to work with is a 2000 year old text that no one can really understand.

I think there may be a reason for all this Bible gossip. It's easier to get totally caught up in a quest to vindicate the meaning of some obscure scripture from ancient times then it is to deal with real life as it is today! To make valuable meaningful application of principles, rather then to use sacred words for the purpose of comdimnation and judgment! It's easier to find some Biblical reason for our actions of selfishness and our need for power over others and our elitist visions, rather then just admit that we are selfish and like power and all want to feel special. The admission makes us question ourselves, the Biblical quotes only distract us from what thier use is accomplishing.

So I say lets just totally start over and write a new Bible. Lets see "In the begining there was George Bush, no the first Bush not the one who is now, but the one who was!" "And Bush had a son" ............"And the son was also George and the son was George Bush!" And 2000 years from now people can argue over the meaning!....LOL!

• simwitness
    simwitness

I am glad to see that scholar has chosen to continue his illfated 607 discussion here, but I want to comment on this first...

Scholar said:

You ask about the NWT which is without the slightestdoubt the finest translation ever made. The translation was produced by anointed brothers under the guidance of holy spirit. The translation however was not inspired by God and is not infallible but its accuracy is astonishing in pushing the boudaries of biblical scholarship.

So, The translation was produced by "annointed brothers" under the "guidance of the Holy Spirit" but IS NOT inspired of god or infallible.

Then I ask you scholar, what good does that claim do? Basically you have built up, and destroyed, your own argument for why it's "accuracy is astonishing"... jees... you just said it wasn't infallible! IMHO, if the "Guidance of the Holy Spirt" leave us with a fallible, and "non God inspired" translation, what good did it do? More or less, you just stated that a group of men did their best to create a "new" translation of the scriptures... Wow, I must state just how impressive that really is.

How is that any better,. or worse, than other "translations"?

Now, on to your most basic, and consistent argument for accepting the 607 date:

The society under the guidance of holy spirit and holy writ has determined that 607 is the only possible choice and we can all thank Jehovah and his Son for this amazing understabding.

Is this the same "fallible" holy spirit, and not "God Inspired" that helped with the translation? Keep in mind that the "holy writ" that you speak of was translated by "fallible men" without Godly inspriation.

So, when the Society finally fesses up and rethinks it dates and says it really was 586/7 for jerusalam's fall. What will you do then? Will you look back on this and think "wow, all those others were right after all"?

(Of course, if this ever happens, they will have to adjust when they were proclaimed the "Faithful and Discreet Slave", but since moving it by 20 years puts it at 1935. But since that was when heaven was "sealed" it actually fits quite nicely. (another "non god inspired" but guided by the "holy spirit" proclamation).

One last thing, Scholar... Please post your "3 column" line of evidence thing for proof of 607. As many times as you have told others to do it, I have never seen you post yours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit