The New World Translation

by MrsQ 41 Replies latest jw friends

• scholar
    scholar

Gamaliel

It is good that the matter of Gangas or Schroeder being on the NWT committee has been laid to rest and that all that remains is the fact that the identity of the committee is unknowable.

I can assure you that there is no embarrassment on my oart for accepting 607. I can assure that the lines of evidence for the acceptance of 539 and 586/7 are not identical. I have no problem accepting 539 but 586/7 is plainly stupid. Let me assure that I am happy and secure in the knowledge that 607 is the only date that agrees with biblical and secular evidence. It is impossible to accept the other candidates but if you can then that is your choice.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

I can assure that the lines of evidence for the acceptance of 539 and 586/7 are not identical.

Then please do (assure me of this). What IS the evidence for 539? Is is astronomical? Is it based on ancient tablets? Is it based on some scholarly authority who accepts 539 but does not accept 587/6?

Give me at least one line of evidence for 539 BCE.

Gamaliel

Edited to add: SWITR.JW!

• scholar
    scholar

Gamaliel

The lines of evidence used to establish the validity of 539 are well known and are fully discussed in the Wt publications. I suggest that you read carefully the articles on Chronology in the Aid Book and the Insight Encyclopedia. Further you may read comments concerning 539 in the Jonsson hypothesis as published in GTR, 1998, pp. 80-88 for additional material'

scholar

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

strongly suggest picking up Crisis of Conscience, I'm on Chapter 6, and it expalins alot on how things were done. Spend the few dollars, it is worth it.

But it a nutshell, written/translated by Fred Franz, and issued in the 50's and again in the 60's,

anyone know when the last update/revision was done ????

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I apologize to anyone coming here thinking this is a futher discussion of NWT. It's a continuation of the discussion with scholar on 539/587/607. The only connection to the thread is that the scholarship behind the NWT has been identified with the scholarship behind the promotion of 607. This may have a bearing on the trustworthiness of their scholarship.

scholar,

Let's both of us try to do this with an open mind and without evading the main issues. What I'm trying to get at, scholar, is simply that the JWs would be standing on slightly firmer ground if they could point out that there are scholarly reasons for accepting 539 for reasons that are stronger than those they have used to support 587/6. I'm sure you'd agree with that statement, and probably have looked for such evidence. If you've found any such evidence, this would actually help your case a little bit in the eyes of JWs and exJWs, too. You have implied that such reasons do exist when you said: "I can assure that the lines of evidence for the acceptance of 539 and 586/7 are not identical. I have no problem accepting 539 but 586/7 is plainly stupid."

You did seem to say once that a weakness of secular scholarship was implied with the choice of 587 OR 586, but I think you understand that this is merely an accommodation of the two possible choices for the destruction event based, in no small part, on trying to merge it with Bible evidence which could allow for either of two years. But I agree that this argument could be a start. So I am trying to take it to the next possible level. If there is a scholar who accepts 539 and yet sees a possible range of not just 1 year (12 months) but say 3 years, or even 5 years, it might make an impact. It doesn't get us to 607, but we could look at whether these proposed adjustments tend to get us closer to, or farther from 607.

Naturally, since you clam 30 years' of study in chronology, and sign your name "scholar" and say 586/7 is clearly stupid, we would expect some reasons, any reasons. You said: "Let me assure that I am happy and secure in the knowledge that 607 is the only date that agrees with biblical and secular evidence. It is impossible to accept the other candidates but if you can then that is your choice."

That's quite a statement, if you can't back it up with anything specific. I finished re-reading the Aid book article on Chronology last night. Tonight, I'll re-read Jonsson's GTR reference per your recommendation. So far I've only skimmed the Insight article but will read it before Friday to see what else it offers.

But if you had a specific scholarly authority in mind, please tell me. We've already established that the WTS argument is simply that: 1) 539 is the accepted starting point. 2) 607 is 68 years before 539 and 68 is close enough to work out a 70 year desolation. We've also already established that Jonsson clearly believes that 587/6 is at least as well attested to with secular chronology as 539. So I'm afraid you've lost me as to which lines of evidence for 539 to look at in these sources.

So far your references have shown me exactly what you implied they wouldn't show me: that the lines of evidence for 539 are exactly of the same type as the lines of evidence for 587/6. (Accepting certain astronomical calculations and accepting the regnal lengths of certain kings.) So far there is no type of evidence for or against 587/6 that would not be just as applicable for or against 539. There is no justification for accepting an astronomical or regnal calculation that helps one over the other.

So again I ask you: Can you give me one line of evidence for 539 that is different from a line of evidence for 587/6? If you can't then you are admitting that a "scholar's" 30 years of study in the field of chronology cannot support 607 over 587/6. Until such evidence is found and shared the Watchtower's credibility is being incredibly damaged.

Gamaliel

• scholar
    scholar

Gamaliel

I would have thought that the question as to whether the method for calculating 596/587 and 539 is rather a stupid one because if you have to ask that question then I cnnot but wonder about your state of knowledge about chronology. Firstly, the society has well explained why and how 539 is widely accepted by historians and scholars. The calculation and secular evidence is as I have stated in numerous publications. I would suggest that you get pencel and paper and take good notes and record these in a journal. Now, your next step is to determine how 586/587 is reckoned, its method and the specific evidence used for thes dates. Write this material in your journal and compare your findings. Do the same with 607 and now in your journal pade you will have three parallel columns and then you will see the difference and points of agreement.

For starters, 5, 59639 has direct secular evidence and the biblical narrative to support this date as the fall of Babylon, the fall of Jerusalem also has many scriptures which fod and described the event similar to Babylons. fall. The main difference between the fall of both cities is that there is no direct secular evidence for Jerusalem as there is with Babylon. The fall of Jerusalem can only be calculated with scripture only with a secular fixed date which is not the same with the calculation of Bavylon. In short, it is only the fall of Babylon that that has an independent chronological base. For this reason the fall of Jerusalem is not regardeda as a absolute or pivtal date as with the fall of Babylon in 539. Also, this is the reason why scholars cannot determine whether it is 586 or 587 for Jerusalem' fall. The society under the guidance of holy spirit and holy writ has determined that 607 is the only possible choice and we can all thank Jehovah and his Son for this amazing understabding.

May the Lord be praised.

scholar

• City Fan
    City Fan

O.K. Scholar. Come clean. Admit you are having a laugh!

• City Fan
    City Fan
    For starters, 5, 59639 has direct secular evidence and the biblical narrative to support this date as the fall of Babylon, the fall of Jerusalem also has many scriptures which fod and described the event similar to Babylons. fall. The main difference between the fall of both cities is that there is no direct secular evidence for Jerusalem as there is with Babylon. The fall of Jerusalem can only be calculated with scripture only with a secular fixed date which is not the same with the calculation of Bavylon. In short, it is only the fall of Babylon that that has an independent chronological base. For this reason the fall of Jerusalem is not regardeda as a absolute or pivtal date as with the fall of Babylon in 539. Also, this is the reason why scholars cannot determine whether it is 586 or 587 for Jerusalem' fall. The society under the guidance of holy spirit and holy writ has determined that 607 is the only possible choice and we can all thank Jehovah and his Son for this amazing understabding.

Whatever scholar is drinking - I'll have the same!

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

I would have thought that the question as to whether the method for calculating 596/587 and 539 is rather a stupid one because if you have to ask that question then I cnnot but wonder about your state of knowledge about chronology.

No problem. I wanted to start with a clean slate, to try to figure out how YOU, a scholarly JW would suggest that we arrive at proof or evidence of 539BCE. But I'm glad I finally read through the references. For years while pioneering even I just kind of accepted that JW chronology was right. My first year at Bethel, I realized that something was wrong. At Bethel, because I started reading Russell, I noticed that the 2,520 years were also used for the time of ISRAEL's "desolation" in 721 BCE to reach to 1799, the last days, which began then because of Napolean. A second 2,520 years was used to prove that Armageddon would happen around 1914. (During the time I was reading the old lit, it was clear I had already found about 15 "lies" in the "ka" book we were using for the Book Study, so I didn't need any specifics on chronology to know that it had very little chance of being correct.)

Firstly, the society has well explained why and how 539 is widely accepted by historians and scholars.

I thought the Aid book was too vague, but I now have it from finally from the Insight book.

The calculation and secular evidence is as I have stated in numerous publications. I would suggest that you get pencel and paper and take good notes and record these in a journal. Now, your next step is to determine how 586/587 is reckoned, its method and the specific evidence used for thes dates. Write this material in your journal and compare your findings. Do the same with 607 and now in your journal pade you will have three parallel columns and then you will see the difference and points of agreement.

This was an excellent idea. I'm not being facetious. It's exactly what I needed to do.

For starters, 539 has direct secular evidence and the biblical narrative to support this date as the fall of Babylon,

We must have a different view of "direct secular evidence." Why do you call it "direct"?

the fall of Jerusalem also has many scriptures which fo[retol]d? and described the event similar to Babylons. fall.

The Bible also mentions which year(s) in the reign of Nebuchadnezzar that Jerusalem fell, so if you trust the Bible, we could tie it to the same secular evidence, couldn't we?

The main difference between the fall of both cities is that there is no direct secular evidence for Jerusalem as there is with Babylon. The fall of Jerusalem can only be calculated with scripture only with a secular fixed date which is not the same with the calculation of Bavylon.

Now I'm not sure whether you yourself have ever tried your 3 column notebook experiment. You are right when you say that a secular source actually refers directly to the fall of Babylon, (but it doesn't give a year) I guess you are saying that no similar secular source refers directly to the fall of Jerusalem. But Jer 52:12 says: On the tenth day of the fifth month, in the nineteenth year of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, Nebuzaradan commander of the imperial guard, who served the king of Babylon, came to Jerusalem, so we really just have to see if we can find the 19th year of Nebuchadnezzar, in the same way we find the 1st year? Also we have similar evidences all mentioned in Insight but also on this site: (Lachish letters, Babylonian chronicle, Jehoiakin seal, Eliakim seal, Gedaliah)

http://www.bible-history.com/map_babylonian_captivity/map_of_the_deportation_of_judah_archaeology_and_the_babylonian_captivity.html

Note their translation of the Babylonian Chronicles with respect to the intial invasion of Jerusalem, not the one that destroyed the Temple:

"In the seventh month (of Nebuchadnezzar-599 BC.) in the month Chislev (Nov/Dec) the king of Babylon assembled his army, and after he had invaded the land of Hatti (Syria/Palestine) he laid seige to the city of Judah. On the second day of the month of Adara ( 16th of March) he conquered the city and took the king (Jehoiachin) prisoner. He installed in his place a king (Zedekiah) of his own choice, and after he had received rich tribute, he sent (them) forth to Babylon."

In short, it is only the fall of Babylon that that has an independent chronological base.

I can't agree. The fact that Nebuchadnezzar, above, is tied "secularly" to the attack on "the city of Judah" that took Jehoiachin is just as close chronologically, to the chronological base for Cyrus taking Babylon.

In each case, the actual years are not calculated directly. In Cyrus' case (according to the Insight book) it's "a Babylonian clay tablet [which] contains ... astronomical information...[about lunar eclipses tied to the 7th year of Cambyses]. "SInce the seventh year of Cambyses II began in the spring of 523 BCE, his first year of rule was 529 and his accession year was 530" Then we have to know that Cambyses II was the (son and) immediate successor of Cyrus II. Then, according to the Insight book, we must rely on the fact that no clay tablets have been found that are dated anytime after Cyrus II's 9th year. Then we assume that, if his 9th year was his last, and was 530 then his first year was 538 and his succession year must have been 539. (Scholar, does that methodology sound vaguely similar to the way Nebuchadnezzar's 19th year is determined? What's the difference?)

For this reason the fall of Jerusalem is not regardeda as a absolute or pivtal date as with the fall of Babylon in 539. Also, this is the reason why scholars cannot determine whether it is 586 or 587 for Jerusalem' fall. The society under the guidance of holy spirit and holy writ has determined that 607 is the only possible choice and we can all thank Jehovah and his Son for this amazing understabding.

Now it is very clear that we are relying on exactly the same types of evidence for Cyrus 1st year as we use to rely on Nebuchadnezzar's 19th year. If one is pivotal, and we have as many lines of independent evidence leading to it, then the other is pivotal too. Saying scholars cannot determine if Jerusalem fell in 586 or 587 is silly. Would you say that Jerusalem fell in the 18th year of Nebuchadnezzar or the 19th? If you pick the 19th then your silly argument goes away, because scholars do know Nebuchadnezzar's 19th year using the same lines of evidence they use for Cyrus' 1st year.

It's only if you have no respect for the choices of years the Bible offers for this event that you could still say 607 is more established than 586 or 587. So scholar, what did you think I was going to find? Can you still not answer the question correctly? What types of evidence are used for 539 that are truly different that the types of evidence used for establishing 586?

Gamaliel

• AlanF
    AlanF

Do not confuse morons with facts, Gamaliel. They will only hate you for it.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit