Does anyone think that Dubbers buy up old publications to destroy?

by rockemsockem 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

I see that there is a lot of people bidding on and buying the more controversial publications. It could be all due to people who have left the cult and want to read it as published the crazy things or prove it to a family member. But I wonder if anyone has ever heard of individuals buying up to remove something from the public.

• sir82
    sir82

Seems doubtful.

There are collectors for just about anything that is old and/or hard to acquire. Old JW books, especially those printed prior to 1940, fit that description.

Plus, to well over 99.9% of the world's population, JWs and their current teachings, former teachings, anything, merit no attention or consideration whatsoever. So it seems highly unlikely it would be necessary to "remove something from the public" when no one gives a fig.

• blondie
    blondie

I purchased a lot of older WT publications when I first left, those I did not have in my library. I already had an extensive library, even taking duplicates of older publications from the KH library. They were much cheaper then. Demand from ex-jws has driven up the price.

I don't expect that most jws would part with any of their money to buy up WT publications. Most older publications are online somewhere as well. And there is always Atlantis, he can find almost anything WTS online.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It’s possible Watchtower itself does, it’s so raving nutty I wouldn’t be surprised.

I used to be rather cynical of the more extreme EXJW conspiracy theories floating around, and just assumed Watchtower leaders were deluded and a little bit narcissistically inclined. And most are.

But they have, and do, lie atrociously to their members and the authorities. So it wouldn’t surprise me if the behind- the- scenes money men - accountants, lawyers, business managers - get their minions to buy up damning issues, it really wouldn’t. Nothing would surprise me about these brainwashed and egotistical people.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

If my memory serves me right, there was a former member that claimed he knew the WTS was purchasing old literature in order to avoid embarrassment when publishing words/quotes had changed. Like the way they did with the 1914 date about not saying that date signaled the end but rather the end of the Gentile times which is completely different.

I also, for the life of me, and believe me I've researched extensively, but I cannot lay my hands on the WTS Trinity brochure. If anyone has an extra one they can send me I'll happily accept it.

Thanks!!

• skin
    skin

I used to have an extensive personal library, in fact, right up till the mid 2000's, most JWs I knew gloated about their personal JW library. Not anymore, I've kept some of the older good ones, sold the rest (and was told I had to donate that $ back to WT, unlikely, you don't get paid twice for the same product). Had to hide the ones I've kept from "know it all" JWs. They say "Those publications are out of date so you should destroy them", oh but we love our rich spiritual heritage they will tell you in their next sentence.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Rutherford's rainbow collection has some eBay interest. Those and Studiy in the Scriptures are the only ones I haven't tossed!

Those books are a mighty 'witness' against the wt organization! So full of delusional bullsh*t!

just saying!

• Biahi
    Biahi

Would LOVE to get my hands on the 1969 Awake that says not to go to college, because the system will be gone. Want to show it to my mom.

• blondie
    blondie

Biahi, does she have a copy? Or does someone else that she trusts are willing to lend a copy of theirs to her?

It is a hard thing to find. I have a copy for my own library, but not ready to give it up. It has quotes that I need also to show believing jws and non-jws.

I have checked my sources online, but nada.

• Biahi
    Biahi

She doesn’t, I checked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit