Recording Judicial Committee meetings........and having fun!

by nicolaou 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

I had a small one in my shirt pocket. They never asked and never noticed. Guess i gnerally had stuff in that pocket, so it blended in. Movement did register as noise. The jacket idea is better. After a while, i asked to use the bathroom, and flipped the tape.

SS

• Gadget
    Gadget

Everyone whose made a recording of a jc - Have you got the transcripts? I'd love to have a read of some of them. Simon, is there a way that somebody could post them without having to reveal themselves? Some might not want the juicy details of what they got DF'd for being made public unless it could not be linked to them.

Gadget

• jws
    jws

I recorded the meeting I had when I was getting kicked out of high school for writing an article in an underground newspaper. They didn't ask me not to, but nevertheless, I didn't share that I was recording, in case they objected. I kept it in my jacket pocket. I know what others are saying about movement noises. And everyone else was sort of muffled.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get double-coverage. As was said, MP3 recorders are getting very small. Even digital ones that aren't MP3. And they have a much longer recording span than tapes. I picked up an Olympus digital recorder for about $60 USD that stores 3 hours, weighs 2 ounces, and is 3.75" long, 1.5" wide, and 0.75" thick. Like a tape-recorder, it has no digital communications. I'd have to "play" and "record" on the PC to transfer it. But other digital models record right to memory sticks and others have USB connections to transfer the recording, or both. But those tend to be bulkier. The advantage of those is that you can share it digitally much faster and it's in its the original recording. Even a play/record into the PC can distort the sound.

But there's still the problem of hiding it and picking up good quality sound. The taking off the jacket idea is good - wish I'd thought of it. Or hide it in your bookbag. The problem I've heard in these recordings is they're either so well hidden and muffled, you can barely make out anything, or you only hear one person well. Ideally, you'd want the recorder right in the middle of the top of the table.

Maybe you can hollow out pages in a dayplanner or a book that you can keep on the table. Get a dayplanner with a thick set of calendar pages, hollow out a section and stick your digital recorder in. At the meeting, open it to today's date with your appointment written on it so they can see it's just a calendar, but a few pages deeper is the recorder. But keep it simple so they don't admire it and take a closer look.

In addition to recording, you also can buy wireless recorders that are inconspicuous. I've seen one in a store called the "Spy Supply" that has a wireless transmitter built into a pen. Leave the other end in your car hooked up to a recorder. The great part about that is you could leave a couple of pens right out in the open and pick up the sound pretty well. The bad part about wireless is it's subject to the environment. Building structure and other interference can affect the signal. I've seen the ones with tunable frequencies drift. You could come back to your car and find out the last 3/4 of the meeting is all static. But if it does work, having the mic out in the open could get you your best quality. I think that setup is kind of expensive though. Maybe $300.

But don't use a typical cassette recorder. They make whirring noises, their recording capacity is limited to about an hour at most, and you always dread that big "CLICK" if it hits the end and stops.

• cat1759
    cat1759

I know this is a serious thread but I had to laugh. Elsewhere you blew my mind.

God I missed out on all the fun of being dsf. I just faded away like a bad dream.

I guess I was not important enough to have an judicial committee decision.

It seems like I missed the party again.

Cathy

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

cat1759I: "know this is a serious thread but I had to laugh."

lol....me to, but it was when Gadget said:

Some might not want the juicy details of what they got DF'd for being made public .......

And some of us want to hear all the juicy details......

Lisa

• Gadget
    Gadget
    lol....me to, but it was when Gadget said:

Some might not want the juicy details of what they got DF'd for being made public .......

And some of us want to hear all the juicy details......

Some of us may be willing to share the details openly, but only if it can't be traced back to them!!!

Gadget

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    And I also like the idea of a judicial hearing 'buddy' to lend some moral support to those who have to face them alone, especially when it's a woman in a room full of men...

Makes me wonder whether there has ever been a case in which a woman who had been in front of a JC ever accused the three men of attempted rape. Especially when no one else was in the KH at the same time?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if there had been cases where the elders actually tried...

But, think of how fast the "no observers" policy might change if that happened a few times, especially if it resulted in expensive lawsuits against the WTS, who, after all, instituted the "no observers" policy in the first place.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    Insist that you want this hearing to go ahead. You are not cancelling it you only insist on having it recorded for everyone's protection. They will refuse. Tell them that if they refuse to hear you out and choose to take action against you after you have made yourself available for the Judicial hearing and complied with all the Society's publicly available policies that you will sue them individually and collectively. Not the Watchtower Society, them!

At that point, whip out two copies of a short document that states that you are perfectly willing to continue with the judicial hearing but that the elders conducting the hearing have refused to continue. Have signature lines for the elders and for you. Try to make them sign both copies, keep one and let them have the other one. Tell them it's for your own legal protection.

When Big Tex was having his elder problems, the elders in his dad's congregation agreed to a meeting. It was attended by Big Tex's sorry excuse for a father, the P.O. from his dad's congregation (the second elder was too chicken to show up because we had an accusation for him), and my father, who was there for BT's moral support (and as an independent witness). Instead of a tape recorder, which I think would have been forbidden, I took down the whole thing in shorthand, which seriously freaked out the P.O. and BT's dad. They kept darting scared glances at me and my flying pencil. It was really great! And, yes, I really was taking it all down and have a transcript of most of it -- I'm good but not fast enough to catch every word, but they didn't know that!

Nina

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

If you want to go in 'hot' you could turn up to your JC with a solicitor (lawyer). Don't get your mate from the pub to put on a suit and fake it, just go to your local practice and explain what's going on. A junior legal should only set you back £50-100 for an hour which will be more than enough time.

You need only introduce him to the Elders at the Kingdom Hall and have him hand over his card to have sent a message straight to the pit of their stomachs - you mean business!

Nic'

• Gadget
    Gadget

I'm in the market for some recording equipment for something that could be coming off soon...... Anyone know the best place to get hold of some in the UK? I couldn't really justify paying out a lot of money for just one use, but then again I want to make sure that it is a quality recording so I can use it afterwards. Anyone know any cheaper models that work particularly well, or where I can hire any higher quality stuff? I promise to post the transcripts....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit