Recording Judicial Committee meetings........and having fun!

by nicolaou 29 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Of course, we all know that this is a no no. The 'Flock' book (Elders Manual) makes this quite clear and upon arriving at your Judicial hearing one of the first questions you will be asked is whether you have any recording/transmitting equipment with you.

However, most JW's will have never seen - or even heard of - the 'Flock' book. Do a search on the WT CD on recording meetings and you will see that it all pertains to the recording of meetings at the Kingdom Hall and conventions and that any brother wishing to make such recordings is free to do so so long as the recording equipment is not attached to the Society's equipment. The one question of propriety that is raised has to do with recording prayers. Again, this is permitted (since prayers are recorded in the Bible) but brothers are encouraged to seek the permission of the one making the prayer first.

Back to the Judicial hearings.

Take your recorder with you - don't hide it. You will be asked to leave it in the car/foyer/restroom, anywhere but the actual place of the meeting. The elders will insist that the meeting cannot proceed if you are going to attempt to record it. Ask them why!

They will of course answer that they are only following the Society's guidelines. Ask them which Watchtower or 'Our Kingdom Ministry' carries these guidelines. If they are honest they'll tell you that the instructions are found in their manual 'Pay Attention to Yourselves and to all the Flock'.

Ask them for a copy of the book for as long as the judicial proceedings against you may last - say you'll be glad to return it afterwards. Perhaps they'll laugh, perhaps they'll sneer - either way you won't get that book.

Ask them if they truly expect you to submit to a private hearing with no witnesses, observers or recordings. A hearing conducted by a set of guidelines, rules and policies to which you are denied access.

Insist that you want this hearing to go ahead. You are not cancelling it you only insist on having it recorded for everyone's protection. They will refuse. Tell them that if they refuse to hear you out and choose to take action against you after you have made yourself available for the Judicial hearing and complied with all the Society's publicly available policies that you will sue them individually and collectively. Not the Watchtower Society, them!

If you don't want to play by their rules - don't. However, you can be quite effective by using their own primitive rules against them.

Nic'

• Simon
    Simon

I took two recorders to mine in case they insisted on finding one.

Of course, when they asked whether I was recording it I said "no". Yes, I lied. They lie. It was "spiritual warfare" (they weren't entitled to the truth)

The cost of small electronic recording devices is very low now so you could also take a bug in with you and leave the recorder in the car.

Maybe we should consider some 'loan equipment' that people could use when facing a JC?

It really is disgusting that they allow themselves witnesses but wont allow you to have anyone present or to have any representation or record of the proceedings while they sit there scribbling away.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Shame on you! Don't you know recording devices chase Jehover's Spirit(TM) right out of the room? How can Jehover's Spirit(TM anoint(TM) them if you are chasing away Jehover's Spirit (TM)?

• termite 35
    termite 35

Nic; Those suggestions are great;especially the threat to sue the elders themselves.

They may not realise that the WTBS will' allow' them to be sued individually-with little or no support... they may feel they have the protection of the organisation; but as in the child abuse cases- they can and may be sued seperately and held accountable for their actions...

Simon; the idea of having equipment to loan out is a really good one...i'd donate to an 'equipment fund'.

And I also like the idea of a judicial hearing 'buddy' to lend some moral support to those who have to face them alone, especially when it's a woman in a room full of men...

• Amazing
    Amazing

I recall that there is some case law in New York state where members of a Jewish concregation sued, and won, because rules and policies not published and available to the average memebr were used against them to remove them from membership. While case law is not a guaranteee in other jurisdictions that a person will win, but it can provide insight into the good arguments used, and can often be cited by counsel when making oral arguments. - Jim W.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Nic,

That is some very good information.

I suggest also bring a recorder and keep it in plain sight (shirt pocket or what ever is convenient). This is one way to stop judicial proceedings, by being willing to attend, and always coming with a recording device. Wrongdoers hate the light(plain veiw) and love the darkness(secrecy and lies), so their works don't become exposed. If they are really rendering godly justice they should have nothing to hide. Their works or actions should be a lamp not hidden under a basket.

Even if you don't have a recorder always say you do, that will stop the meeting cold.

The elders are sometimes instructed to ask you:

"Do you still consider yourself one of Jehovah's Witnesses?"

Never answer this in the negative, for once you do they no longer need to DF you, they will just tell the congregation that you no longer consider yourself a JW (same as being DF'd).

Again thanks Nic for some very good advice.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire
    The elders are sometimes instructed to ask you: "Do you still consider yourself one of Jehovah's Witnesses?" Never answer this in the negative, for once you do they no longer need to DF you, they will just tell the congregation that you no longer consider yourself a JW (same as being DF'd).

You have to answer this question with a unqualified Yes. Anything less can be used against you. For those that would consider this lying, You can still consider yourself a JW in a strictly tecnical sense, only don't elaborate on this with the elders, for then you will be playing into their hands..

• Simon
    Simon

I've said before, it would be good if the elders turning up to intimidate a lone woman found them selves facing the "A-Team" (A for Apostates)

"I pity the fool ..."

• Francois
    Francois

MP3 recording equipment is so small and so cheap and so unobtrusive that you coudl go to a meeting actually bristlinge ad never be noticed.

• rem
    rem

They never asked about recording equipment during my JC. I bought a cheap digital recorder the day before. Here's a tip - keep the recorder in your jacket pocket and take off your jacket. I left mine on and every movement I made muffled the sound.

My sister also made a pretty good recording of an inquiry meeting about me... she had hers in her purse. She even changed tapes midway through. She's the coolest.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit