I think I'm about to become a victim of an "intervention"

by cruzanheart 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

nina and Big tex---I wish I lived next door to you!

Ravyn

• Valis
    Valis

hey phone wife....please forward all JW calls to me...eheheheh

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Well, I was feeling like a first class wimp this afternoon, so after discussion with Big Tex I wrote the following e-mail to the Office Manager (who is out of the office until Monday):

This thing with my phone number has really bothered me all day. I promised myself after *****'s first phone call to me last winter (autumn? can't remember when) that if ANY Jehovah's Witness contacted me due to her getting my phone number from the firm list (because I did NOT give her my home phone number at any time) that I would come to you and complain, because I don't want to be harassed just because I left their religion. The person who called me today flat out told me that ***** gave her my phone number and she obviously wants to "encourage" me to get back to meetings.

I don't want to be harassed. I don't want my husband awakened in the morning any more than is necessary. I certainly don't want my phone number -- from a confidential, in-house firm phone list that is the property of [my law firm] -- thrown around congregations in the Dallas area for anyone to call me and hassle me about my status in their religion. I want Jehovah's Witnesses to leave me alone and, so far, the ones in my area have done a beautiful job of that. I thought ***** and [the other JW who works in my office] were similarly respecting my position, as I respect theirs. ***** asked me in her last phone call to "not make trouble for the rest of us." I asked the same of her and that's all I want now.

Thanks.

I hate the fact that the Witnesses can still, when it has to do with ME, make me clam up and feel bad. I am still trying to accept the fact that I don't deserve that kind of treatment. I don't have to put up with it. I can get angry when it's about me, and not just when it's about someone else. (What was that old Saturday Night Live routine? "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, gosh darn it, people like me!")

Nina

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    (What was that old Saturday Night Live routine? "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, gosh darn it, people like me!")

LOL! I LOVED Stuart Smalley!!!

But I understand. For the last year I've practiced what I would say to my parents if they asked for wedding pictures again. ("Why would you want pictures of an event that you deemed too wrong to attend?") But when my mom called out of the blue last week, it blind-sided me. Of course she asked and my response was, "Mom I haven't been able to afford buying my own pictures." I was so pissed at myself!!!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The company's Christmas party: fun for you! I love company parties like that. Lawyers love to show off, so you'll probably have the best spread of food. I always loved the chocolate at my company parties. I LOVE CHOCOLATE. Which is why I am on a diet and chocolate has become a rare treat.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Cruzanheart & Big Tex,

At first impression my reaction was, why even get your law firm involved since you and the ex-jw's know each other anyway. Note; Iam assuming that phone numbers are published in Texas just like here in California (one has to make a special request for an unlisted number).

Then after reading your memo to the HR person I changed my mind. This nefarious affair has backfired on the witnesses. Now everyone in upper management at your firm, has very solid evidence that jw's are in fact not as trustworthy as they would like to have people think.

So your stand has shown them up to be just what they hate to be labeled as, fanatical cult members. Iam afraid when they get wind of what has been bantered around management offices, the realization that THEY have brought 'reproach on Jehovah and his organization'.......ain't it grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny

• rocketman
    rocketman
    "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, gosh darn it, people like me!")

We like ya!!

I hope this all turns out to be nothing troublesome....but keep that "Spider-sense" on hand just in case.

'Spidey Fan from my youth up Class"

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Nina,
    JW's don't contact me very often anymore. I am told they view me as a waste of time. Hahahaha I gotta love that. I have to agree!

The last one that did contact me got treated nice and with respect. When he lied, I just told him I did not believe that was true, and when he made an outrageous statement, like "The end is near!", I just asked him if he had any proof. I didn't give him any information nor did I ask him any questions. I just let him lead and then I flipped everything back to him. If he asked me anything, I'd just ask him why he asked it. That kept me totally in control and it frustrated him to the limit. He got so pissed, he hung up on me and HE called me. Hahahaha I think it's hilarious!

Best wishes with your meeting. I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for being here and posting. GaryB

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Hi Nina:

I would have been pretty ticked off, too, but would have responded like you did at first. Someone from my law firm gave out my personal number from the list, and it resulted in a string of anonymous stalker calls that scared the bejezus outta me. I got my unlisted number changed, put on a consult list, and it stopped. I was a single mom living far out in the country with a small child, so I felt particularly vulnerable. I'm glad that you have Mr. Big Tex there with you! Hugs, and I think you handled it beautifully!

CG

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

This thing with my phone number has really bothered me all day. I promised myself after *****'s first phone call to me last winter (autumn? can't remember when) that if ANY Jehovah's Witness contacted me due to her getting my phone number from the firm list (because I did NOT give her my home phone number at any time) that I would come to you and complain, because I don't want to be harassed just because I left their religion. The person who called me today flat out told me that ***** gave her my phone number and she obviously wants to "encourage" me to get back to meetings.

I don't want to be harassed. I don't want my husband awakened in the morning any more than is necessary. I certainly don't want my phone number -- from a confidential, in-house firm phone list that is the property of [my law firm] -- thrown around congregations in the Dallas area for anyone to call me and hassle me about my status in their religion. I want Jehovah's Witnesses to leave me alone and, so far, the ones in my area have done a beautiful job of that. I thought ***** and [the other JW who works in my office] were similarly respecting my position, as I respect theirs. ***** asked me in her last phone call to "not make trouble for the rest of us." I asked the same of her and that's all I want now.

Sounds to me like this scenario is backfiring for the JW's involved. If anything it is demonstrating to the Office Manager and other employees who find out about it that the JW's are willing to violate privacy and undermine corporate policies to continue to harass former members etc.

Go on and give them a good Reverse-Witness (TM) Cruzan. You ARE worth it. You DO deserve better. DO NOT tolerate this from them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit