I think I'm about to become a victim of an "intervention"

by cruzanheart 45 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I just got a phone call from someone I used to know, oh, about 25 years ago. She and her cousin and I hung out together as single pioneers -- they got married, I got married, we lost touch. Well, turns out she now goes to the same congregation as one of the Witnesses who works at my law firm -- the same one who, months ago when I started telling people I was no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses, told me I could believe what I want but "don't make trouble for the rest of us" -- and evidently the two ladies got to talking and my co-worker gave her my phone number at home. Old Friend called the house and woke up Big Tex, who gave her my work number. She wants to "get together and catch up" and mentioned that Co-Worker told her "the sad news about my dad." Uh-HUH. I'm sure Co-Worker told her ALL about it.

Work concerns on her end made her hang up early, thank goodness, but my Spider Sense was tingling, and I think she's going to try to "encourage" me to go back to meetings.

By the way, anybody remember a C.O. named Jerry Murray? This is his niece from his wife's side of the family. She married a Spanish JW and learned Spanish, went to the Spanish congregations but just recently returned to English, as she put it, "so the children could learn the truth." Evidently they weren't really "getting it" in Spanish. I'm sure they'll just LOVE it in English.

Nina

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Cruzanheart. That poor girl. Does she know what she is in for?

Perhaps this is an excellant time for a "reverse witness"

Be gentle.

• Emma
    Emma
    but my Spider Sense was tingling

Pay attention to the "Spider Sense". Instead of an invervention, I'd call this an ambush! I've experienced it; she may even lie use theocratic strategy to get you to see her. Oh, let's count some time!

I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't be so negative.

Emma

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Why, xjw_b12, I'm so flattered! That's a lovely compliment! Yes, I've got the ammo ready, but I see no reason to give her the home field advantage by calling her back.

And, Emma, you are not being negative. We all know the drill. Let's "encourage" this poor, weak sister and get our time in while we do it!

Nina

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Do you want me to hide in the bushes and ambush them with a super soaker and Mormon literature?

• wednesday
    wednesday

Nana,

be carfeul. as my spider sense is telling me this could be a prelude to a set up. All they need is 2 people who have heard u say u do not consider yourself a JW.

remember we are dealing with people who have been trained to rat on eacch other and would turn in their own mother.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Good point, wednesday. I'll keep that in mind. Elsewhere, I may take you up on that offer! There are a few elders I'd love to see doused.

Nina

• gumby
    gumby
    told me I could believe what I want but "don't make trouble for the rest of us"

Yes,.... don't make any trouble for her or say negative things.

Isn't it intresting how they can condemn all religion, governments, and basically everyone who is not a dub. They preach it and publish it...........but don't say anything negative about them!

Perhaps you could ask her WHY they reason this way...........if you don't mind pissin her off.

Gumby

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I think you could drive gumby's point home by saying the same thing to them if they start discussing JW issues again. Just say:

"Look, you [JWs] can believe what you want, just don't make trouble for me."

From what I've seen happen to others, if JWs get frustrated in their efforts to "help" you, even former friends will have no compunction about trying to hurt your reputation among your co-workers, too. After all, they might rationalize that if you were to face trouble at work, it might even help you rethink your situation in which the world has too much hold on you.

If there is any potential for such damage, I would add a mild threat to the response recommended above such as: "or else I'm not afraid to take legal recourse." That's hardly a way to treat former friends who have your "best interests" at heart, but I'm working with a freshly freed exJW right now who has just lost her job due to harrassment and gossip of JW co-workers. HR lawyer told her she had a case, but it would be expensive and iffy to pursue.

Gamaliel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If it is a setup and they start asking the classic questions (Do you still consider yourself to be a JW?), just remember, you don't have to answer.

Saying yes or no will result in shunning or lying... if you simply don't answer you have not done either.

If they try to take the conversation in a direction that you can see that will result in those kinds of questions, just tell them you are not comfortable talking about it and leave it at that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit