brown paper on the mirrors at assembly

by freein89 47 Replies latest jw friends

• freein89
    freein89

This happened in the mid 80's at a circuit assembly in Wisconsin. The "brothers" decided they had the solution to the long lines for the ladies room. They went in there and covered the mirrors with brown paper. Yup, we stood in line for 45 minutes with 2 or 3 squirming kids doing the pee pee dance, then we finally got into the hot, smelly crowded ladies room and went straight to the mirrors to primp and preen for a couple hours.

But seriously, they covered the mirrors, the all knowing brothers just knew the vanity of simple minded women who need a "head" to govern them was the cause of the long lines. I will never forget my outrage, but even worse I will never forget my outrage at the "sister" who had the nerve to remove this loving provision of the "brothers" who were trying to curb our vanity.

The sister pushed her way through and tore down the paper and I was angry at her nerve to disrespect the brothers, in reality I was probably mad because I didn't have the nerve. What a sheep I was.

• Matty
    Matty

This happened at Twickenham convention in London as well. It outraged my family too! I remember a brother saying that many of the sisters were "too vain" and "spent too long in the toilets". For the same reason you will find that mirrors are generally not within toilets at circuit assembly halls, they place the mirrors outside of the toilets so that any "preening" is done in full view of the other conventioneers!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    we finally got into the hot, smelly crowded ladies room

Ah, memories. I used to wonder why the restrooms at stadiums, arenas, etc. were so much hotter during conventions than they were during sporting events and then a brother told me that the Society turns the AC off in the restrooms to "persuade" people to not linger and go back and listen to the very important manuscript being read from the platform.

Of course Administration was always cold enough to store frozen food, but they are the greatest of the equals aren't they?

• Swan
    Swan

This is one of the most sexist things I have ever heard of. It doesn't surprise me that it was done by JW males.

Tammy

• freein89
    freein89

Meeemories, light the corner of my life, misty water colored memories and sexist? You got that right sugar!

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    This is one of the most sexist things I have ever heard of. It doesn't surprise me that it was done by JW males.

LMAO

• Matty
    Matty
    ...the Society turns the AC off in the restrooms to "persuade" people to not linger and go back and listen...

I remember when the speakers were removed from my congregations kingdom hall toilets to prevent people from lingering in them. Also, speakers are not installed in the concourse outside conventions to stop people wandering around too much during the sessions. It's control-freakery at it's extreme!

• blondie
    blondie

These are the facts that the JW males overlook:

1. Who takes the children and the older sisters (more of) to the restroom?

This doesn't matter if the children are male or female. The fathers very rarely take even the boys to the restroom. Why? They have to take notes because they have to give a talk at the service meeting or the fathers are off being important with privileged positions.

Many sisters do not have any husbands or they are not JWs so not in attendance. Imagine having 3 children, one in diapers having to take all 3 to the restroom because you can't leave them alone in their seats.

2. Women can't just whip it out and whip it back in. We have to contend with skirts, pulling down underwear, sometimes even nylons, then use toilet paper (I hear men don't bother with that stuff much), pull everything back up, and wash their hands (men don't bother much with that stuff) all this and manage a baby in arms and 2 children that need assistance as well.

Men just have to go in whip it out, pee, flick it, and whip it back in. No lipstick to freshen, no hair to comb because they are bald, have a short do, have it gelled in place, etc. And all without having a child in tow or an elderly brother to assist (I apologize to the few fathers who do this now but it is a recent development).

Blondie

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Amen, sister! The last convention for which I have a vivid memory was the one where I was potty-training #1 and breast-feeding #2, while sitting with my elderly parents. I couldn't even tell you what anything was about at that convention. I think I attended parts of a couple more after that, but the fizz had gone out of the whole experience and it finally became just too much trouble.

Nina (Apostafests are more fun)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Men just have to go in whip it out, pee, flick it, and whip it back in. No lipstick to freshen, no hair to comb because they are bald, have a short do, have it gelled in place, etc. And all without having a child in tow or an elderly brother to assist (I apologize to the few fathers who do this now but it is a recent development).

I remember when I was little I asked my mom why the lines were so long for women and she basically told me the same thing. So I asked her why women don't just dress simple... I got a blank stare back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit