Will Lance make it number 5 this year?

by Stan Conroy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

I think Lance will take it again. As for the press saying "he's not as strong", he's as much as admitted this - but remember that saying such things to the press has always been a way of not "showing his hand", so to speak. Helps to psych out the competition, right? The oppressively hot weather has been rough on everyone - in fact, melted road tar was to blame for the crash near the end of Stage 9 (or was it 7?) the other day. For updates, see

http://www.bicycling.com/tdf

• Hamas
    Hamas

I hope so.

I have the utmost respect for Lance Armstrong. In fact I have respect for all the riders of the Tour, but Lance gets my vote.

Has there ever been a sporting occassion greater than the Tour de France ? Sure, we have the World Cup, F1 etc etc but nothing beats the tour.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

I can't imagine a harder sporting event than the Tour de France. Can you imagine climbing mountain roads for 6 hours in 95°F heat. Then do it again the next day. And then the next...

Throw in a double fractured collarbone, and it boggles the mind.

And all this at a race pace, not a casual ride. Even the rider who comes in dead last has by respect.

As for the magnitude of it's popularity, apparently 20 million people come out to see it live. That has to be a record. Then come to this side of the Atlantic and you are hard pressed to find anyone that even knows it's going on.

If only there was a Canadian in the tour. Perhaps I should start training my little boy. In 20 years he could good enough to be invited to the tour! (He's only 18 months old now, but he watches the tour with me.)

Stan

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I keep hoping, niavely no doubt, that Lance is over dramatising his difficulties for strategic effect. Damn, I never get this vested into sporting events, lol.

If I was betting, I'd still bet on Lance, but it would be a scary bet.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

It is amazing how much strategy goes on behind the scenes of bike racing.

One of our "old friends" was a cyclist who was in Mexico & Germany for the Olympic games (before his was a dub) and held a world record for his sport for 7 years and in fact ths year was finally inducted into the sports hall of fame, anyway, the stoies he would tell of psyching his opponet out is too funy. Like going to the bathroom just before his race and standing behind his opponent at the urinal just to make him so nervous he couldn't empty his bladder.

It really is a team effort with the Tour de France and even though Lance may win again, it is still a big win for the US Postal team. Without the whole team, Lance could not do it by himself.

*not placing a bet but enjoying watching the Tour.

j2bf

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

He certainly has more pressure on him this year:

Impending divorce

Stomach flu a week before the Tour started

One crash in the early part of the Tour, but no time lost

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Lance only has a 15 second lead now over Jan Ullrich. In a post-race interview with Lance, he mentioned that he is suffering from dehydration after the ITT. He lost almost 15 pounds during that event. That's 15 pounds in 1 hour!! He has been rehydrating between races both with IV's and orally, and feels tomorrows race in the mountains will go better than today.

Impending divorce

Are you sure about that? They reported on OLN that he has reconciled with his wife. Have you heard otherwise?

Stan

• toddy
    toddy

I love watching the tour,what makes it more exciting is the commentator "David Duffield" on eurosport,he gets so excited.

My own prediction is the result will be decided on the last time trial next saturday either Lance or Jan

It has definately been the best tour for a few years even without Cipillini and Marco Pantani

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Stage 14 is just completing right now, and it looks like Lance will keep the yellow jersey at least one more day. He didn't win the stage, but he was 1min 23 seconds behind the winner Simoni. The bad news for Lance is that Vinokourov finished 41 seconds behind the winner, or 42 seconds ahead of Lance. Ullrich was not even in the top 10. Iban Mayo also gained on Armstrong.

This is going to be close one all the way to Paris.

Stan

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

Update:

The new top 10 after today's stage is:

1. Armstrong

2. Ullrich at 15"

3. Vinokourov at 18"

4. Zubeldia at 4'16"

5. Mayo at 4'37"

6. Basso at 7'01"

7. Hamilton at 7'32"