Will Lance make it number 5 this year?

by Stan Conroy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

What do you think? The tour is just over 1/2 way, and he is only 21 seconds ahead.

Tomorrow is the individual time trial. I think that will be the determining factor.

It was a shame to see Joseba Beloki crash the other day. He would have given Lance a run for the yellow. A broken femur is a very serious injury!

Anyone else watching the tour?

Stan

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I am rooting for Lance Armstrong. He overcame testicular cancer when it was doubtful that he would even survive and has gone on to consistently set the standard and be the benchmark for a sport (cycling) that is extremely strenuous AND dangerous.

GO LANCE!

A true example of courage and determination that encourages others.

• LDH
    LDH

I love the Tour. By the way, did you ever see Breaking Away? If not, see it. It's a cult classic!

Although I'm cheering Lance on, I couldn't help but be astounded at Trent Hamilton (???) riding in 4th place with a broken collarbone!!! Yeeks!!!

I'm watching it daily on the Outdoor Life Network. But let me say, the American commentators are dumb asses! Also, I wish there was more coverage of cycling at times other than the Tour. I really enjoy watching it.

Yes, that was a devastating crash! I really felt for Beloki--what a tragedy! Did you see the way Lance went off-road through the field?!?!?

Of course I am hoping and praying for a Lance Armstrong win. As far as I'm concerned, they could rename the whole damn thing the Tour de Lance. He's not too hard on the eyes, either!

Lisa

Watching coverage as we speak, Class

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I hope Lance does it again this time. (What a record)

My daughter had a crush on him and even took her bike to ride the hills of Austin one year. (before he was married)

We have been following his career since he won the world title when he was on the Motorola team. *wondering what a signed cap would be worth now???

That Tour is unbelievable. GO LANCE

j2bf

ps, and I wanted to point out it will be 5 in a row!!! Others have won five but not consecutively!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Over here in Europe there is some chuntering in the press that Armstrong isn;t as strong this year and won't win.

I don't think he's been in Yellow so quick as this Tour, so I don't fully agree. In anycase, the individual time trials are where Armstrong typically inflicts a world of pain on anyone, and they are both i the coming week.

A actually think they organised it with the individual time trials close together this year BECAUSE of Armstrong, so that it would still look quite open in the last week.

Hamilton wins the big balls prize for courage; the European press love that shit too, riders who show 'heart' are always taken into the tifosi's affections.

I think Armstrong will win this year, ride one year and probably win, and retire, happy in the knowledge that he will be the best that there's ever been as regards Tour wins... for at least seven years, as it'll take that long for anyone to even have the possibility of accumilating enough Tour wins to beat it.

If you could have Coppi, Anquetil, Merryx (could never spell that name), Hinault, Lemond, Indurain and Armstrong hit the profession at the same time, you'd have a good answer to 'whose the best'. As it is, the different sport-physiology, diet and training techniques over the years hide any certain conclusion in this regard.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy
    Others have won five but not consecutively!

Actually, that is not true. One rider did win five in a row. It was Miguel Indurain from 1991 to 1995.

Todays ITT proved to be a huge win for Jan Ullrich. He has now moved up to 2nd place, only 34 seconds behind Armstrong. He rode the 47 kms in 58 min 32 seconds. He was the only rider to break the 1 hour barrier.

Another rider to watch is Alexander Vinokourov. He has been riding an outstanding race, both in the mountains and todays ITT. He is now 3rd in the overall standings. As of yesterday, he was second, only 21 seconds behind Lance.

As for Tyler Hamilton, what a resolve that man has. Not only to continue with a double fractured collarbone, but to be so competitive! I broke my collarbone, and I ride, but I cannot fathom riding with a broken collarbone.

Tomorrow they hit the mountains again near the end of the day. Will Lance keep the yellow? I think Ullrich will take it away from Lance and end up this years winner.

Here is my prediction:

1st Jan Ullrich

2nd Lance Armstrong

3rd Alexander Vinokourov

4th Iban Mayo

5th Tyler Hamilton

Stan

• maxwell
    maxwell

Glad to see a few other people on this side of the world following the Tour.

Even though Lance doesn't appear to be as strong this year, I'm still rooting for him to win. He's only a few seconds ahead, but he's been holding off all the attacks along with his teammates.

I just got cable this week for the first time in my life, and they do NOT carry OLN! I think I will be requesting that they add this channel. Maybe they'll have it by next tour. We only have basic cable which includes three dedicated sports channels, ESPN ESPN2 and ComcastSports and I haven't caught any of them make a mention of cycling. One of the stations was showing some good old boys on a boat fishing this morning. I can't believe more people would rather watch that than the Tour. I suppose it is cheaper to just sit out on a lake and watch some people throw a fishing line into the water than to follow those guys pedaling for over 100 miles on bikes. But I've been checking the standings everyday on Yahoo. I know some other websites have better coverage, but that kept me up on the standings.

LDH, yes I happen to have the Breaking Away DVD. I didn't know about it till a few months ago. I was on a newsgroup/discussion group about bikes and someone pointed to a page with a bunch of movies about cycling. So I saw several titles and thought I might be interested in them. So I'm going into Border's one day with my wife and I just happened to see it there re-released on DVD. I thought what a find and bought it. I also have Quicksilver on DVD, originally came out early 80's, about some bicycle messengers in NYC.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel
    Actually, that is not true. One rider did win five in a row. It was Miguel Indurain from 1991 to 1995.

Oh, my bad, I thought Indurain won 4 then lost a year then won another year and retired. Sorry. Poor memory. (Or was it he won 1, lost one then won 4, sorry) Last time I saw Indurain was in Atlanta for the Olympics.

Just my 2 cents, besides the ITT, I thought Armstrong was a powerhouse in the mountains, that's where he usually blows the others away..

My kids used to set the VCR for whatever ungodly time at night they brodcast the Tour on ESPN2 and then watch it first thing the next morning.

My daughter was invited one year to Colorodo Springs, the Olympic Tranning Center, with others around the USA who qualified. She loved the Velodrome track, but of course she was a good little dubbie and didn't take it any further.

• Simon
    Simon

The tour is amazing - easily the most impressive sprting event of the year in terms of what people have to go through to win. Awesome.

Lance is looking good but it's pretty wide open.

• thegentleman
    thegentleman

It's going to be tough for him , I think Ullrich will give him the best challenge and I wouldnt be surprised if Ullrich does take the yellow. Armstrong is inspirational with the cancer and his comeback.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit