Hot off the press - Maintaining Congregation Meetings During COVID-19 Pandemic

by pixel 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I heard of a local cong , UK, having group meets...... That seems daft to me. I feel more vulnerable with a crowd in a small room. We would not be going.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

well--judging by the BBC news in the UK--it looks like the whole world is facing a major catastrophy--disease and deaths, economic chaos, break down of law and order.

what have you got to say--governing body ?. let the brothers have your words of wisdom.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    4- Selective Use of JW Stream: Making use of JW Stream should be considered only when other alternatives are not possible. JW Stream should not be used as a substitute for congregation meetings week after week.

I suppose too many JW's online at once could break the internet.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

My wife told me that meetings are cancelled. She tried calling in Sunday but the line was full. She was called today and told all meetings are suspended and they are working on alternatives and will be in touch.

Sucks for her that her husband is a deadbeat apostate.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hi, I've not been to this forum in a long time. I came for virus gossip. lol

So I'm hearing something very different than what was posted here. I was told they are saying there was an announcement that anybody at high risk or >65 yrs old should not be attending meetings.

I'm kinda pissed about that. In the 70s and 80s, they had us doing Great Tribulation drills so we could sneak to meetings because it's a command to not forsake gathering. We were to memorize phone numbers and addresses of nearby dubs, change clothes on the way as a disguise, lie to officials, etc.

I hate it when religions soften. It just encourages people to stay in.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"5- Inactive: The elders should reach out to inactive ones and keep them updated as to adjustments in the meeting arrangements. (Luke 15:4-7; sfl chap. 25 pars. 13-15) If needed, elders may grant inactive ones access to JW Stream. The world situation may well move some to return to Jehovah."

Fat chance I will ever return to "Jehovah" (aka....the cult). I would rather die eternally than spend eternity with this bunch.

Funny....our family is "inactive" and none of our family Eldurs have checked on us. The only 2 that have checked in on our well being is the 2 that left "the troof." Love never fails eh?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TOES UP:

I’m considered ‘Inactive’ but they would never look me up.

I’ve been out of the JWs almost twenty years and aside from cards and notes early on and a memorial invitation years ago, nobody from the hall ever came looking for me. I don’t think they look for single women or types who didn’t do favors for all the User$.

If a family was considered a material ‘asset’ who opened up their home, fed the JWs or had a skill that benefited people in the hall, etc. maybe they’ll look you up..Somebody like me they aren’t going to look for and quite frankly I wouldn’t trust them. They’d be looking for something and I’d have no patience for this.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    the people on this forum and other forums who think the JW religion will go totally online and SURVIVE are wrong, in my opinion.

Couldn’t agree more longhairgal ! Folks who say it will become an online religion are totally wrong for two reasons.

1. It’s a well known fact that when people are able to get away from indoctrination via the constant repetitiousness of jw meetings, even if only due to listening in a foreign language, they tend to wake up.

2. Watchtower needs kingdom and assembly halls to build and sell for profit.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Watchtower is dead, long live the King.

A century old preaching machine just stopped cold. I don’t believe they will get it going again ...ever.

The fact that the preaching has stopped at all must be something that can dig into the cognitive dissonance. ‘It is not supposed to happen like this’

• caves
    caves

Rebel8-We were to memorize phone numbers and addresses of nearby dubs, change clothes on the way as a disguise, lie to officials, etc.

I remember when I was little the congregations were told to write jws info on construction paper and pencil so it could be disposed of quickly if , I mean "when" they came after gods people. To help "save the brothers". Looking back, how was it that jeho couldn't just do that part. Its always pushed back on the r&f. They will do everything now but say "its the great tribulation". Then when the members think that way during a crisis, they don't stop that thinking. Then after a crisis is over they (the gb) make the members feel like idiots with there double speak and back stepping.

Yes I cant see how this will not cost them in a major way this time.

However right now,for the moment, I imagine their faith is stronger than ever. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm pretty sure this is how a conversation with them would go in regards me: If I were calling my great aunt that raised me. She's a mean old bitch.

Me: Hi xxx, I just wanted to call and see if you are ok?

Her: We are in the Great Tribulation right now and Armageddon is imminent. You should have came back when you had a chance. Now your going to die and you deserve it.

Me: I just wanted to see if you were ok?

Her: I cant talk to you, you are full of Satan that god will destroy. Click!

Sigh. And because I've gone thru that scenario with her when the 08' recession began the follow up conversation "to be one of our last" was like this:

Me: Hi xxx, just calling to see how you are doing?

Her: I don't understand why you don't just turn back to jehovah? I'm so lonely. No one ever checks on me at the KH when I'm sick. (realizing what she just said) I'm sorry but I cant talk to you until you turn back to jehovah.

Me: I'm going back to the meetings.

Her: Oh Really? (excited)! ( catches herself) Well you probably will die at Armageddon anyway.

Me: How can you say that, you are not jehovah?

Her: You are so spiritually weak right now and its not safe to talk to you.

Me: Okay, well are you doing ok?

Her: I don't wish to talk to you, you abandoned me. (she starts crying)

Me: No I didn't, I used to beg you to come over and see my me and my son. You never came. Yet I still kept calling and visited you.& That was before I got dfd.

Her: (crying) I'm so sorry for the way I treated you. I'm so sorry. (Balling at this point) I didnt know how to act when you were molested. He has really changed. But I still hate him. What if jehovah wont forgive me for hating him.

Me: Its ok xxx, I still love you.

( suddenly and most violently she shifts her tone)

Her: You are just full of Satan. I've got to go!. Click!

WTF

And I just broke down while writing that crap. That scenario I wrote played out over and over again until I had enough. Sorry if this was way out of place... it just came out

I went on an typed it because I was thinking of calling her just because I'm a human and shit. But I needed this reminder so I don't put myself in an unhealthy emotional bind.

So trying to go back to the topic. Damn they sure have some f'up responses to things. So I can only imagine how horrifying this is for them. Especially the ones like my great aunt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit