Women's March on Washington

by azor 58 Replies latest jw friends

• azor
    azor
    DOC do you have actual statistics or just your gut feeling. Things have improved. However if you only get your information from T.V. than you will only see the bad. As the news media puts it "if it bleeds it leads".
  • Simon
    Simon
    I don't think women marching in Washington is doubling down on crazy.

I didn't say the march was, but that is what the left is tending to do.

Apparently though, some (Madonna) think Trumps comments legitimize terrorism. But that isn't doubling down on crazy?

Do you actually believe that this is rational or appealing to normal voters?

People like to accuse Trump of populism, but we see bucket loads of it from the left, particularly celebrities.

• azor
    azor

Are there people that say and think crazy things? Like violence at this point is justified. There are and I don't agree with them.

You keep generalizing "people on the left". I don't think it's a majority of people that think and do crazy things on either side. So what some celebrities are saying some crazy things. Trump is one of them as well. It's the primary reason he won was due to his name recognition as a celebrity.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I don't dispute that women supposedly have the same rights as men, but if society in general doesn't actually believe it, then we'll keep seeing the subtle discrimination that pervades our societies.

I believe that there is an endemic patriarchal, religious, misogynist culture that exists in the United States that Trump's election brought to light.

I think the protests are an attempt to bring attention to this, to make sure it doesn't morph into actual legislative actions to remove some of the rights that women fought for in the past. In that respect, maybe this could be considered a preemptive protest by women, to make sure the conservatives realize woman have a voice, and won't stand by if they see an erosion of what they worked so hard to achieve.

Despite what he says, Trump has no respect for women in general, and I don't want his attitude to become accepted as "normal".

• Simon
    Simon
    Are there people that say and think crazy things? Like violence at this point is justified. There are and I don't agree with them. You keep generalizing "people on the left". I don't think it's a majority of people that think and do crazy things on either side

The vast majority of the violence is being perpetrated by the left. They like to point the finger and give themselves grand ideals but often they out fascist the fascists. The extreme right was small and inconsequential before this election but have been elevated beyond the influence they should have.

Right now I see the left as certainly the most obnoxious and annoying, if not the most outright dangerous.

Trump's election was in part a rejection of the identity politics that they thrive on. I think it's dangerous, not just because we got Trump, but ultimately it's more harmful to the minority groups that they proclaim to support.

• just fine
    just fine

There are a lot of women, myself included who roll our eyes at the protests and marches. I am so sick of everyone protesting everything. But lacking the intellect or drive to make real change. They just want to be the center of attention and feel better by commiserating in perceived misery.

I am a woman, I have a successful career in a male dominated environment. I have not been held back by "evil white men". Donald Trump is not going to impact my career. His language may be offensive to some, but they are not words I haven't heard before, and will hear them again. Donald also obviously takes Ivanka very seriously and she is a champion for women's rights.

• Simon
    Simon

Wish I had more than one "like" to hand out for that 'just fine'.

So many people now seem to just want to complain and blame others for their own inability to succeed and it often turns out they haven't even really tried.

No wonder so many now want to focus on equality of outcome - that everything is unfair unless they are given what someone else has worked hard to achieve.

• azor
    azor

Just fine. Really ivanka is a champion for women's rights. Did you vote for the guy to?

• azor
    azor

Simon if you truly see the left as the most dangerous than stop empowering the most destructive element among them. The same thing has happened to the alt right over the last year. We don't acknowledge the real suffering that's going on and demonize our own and push them toward the only ones that have open arms for them. It is a small but loud element on the left and right that are causing these issues. As we disenfranchise the mass in the middle we push them to the extremes.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I wish I could have gone to the March here in San Francisco, but I was sick this week and it just wasn't happening, my husband would have gone with me. But my daughter in law went to the March in DC, my Sister in law and her daughter went to the March in Austin Texas. I am so proud of all of them.

I think it was just a way to say that we disagree with the views espoused by Donald Trump. He is a vile, disgusting person. He has said a lot of of very hateful things about women, we have a right to say that we don't like him and everything he stands for. It was a peaceful protest, what could be more patriotic and American than that?

Trump has said there are no real protesters to his election, they are either paid protesters or violent extremists. I am sure he will just say the numbers are just being exaggerated by the media, just like he said they lied about how few attended his inauguration, be we saw what we saw: hundreds of thousands of people telling Trump to stuff it.

My favorite poster:

NOW YOU PISSED OFF GRAMMA!

This gramma is passed off too.

Lisa 🌹

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit