I am tired of thinking like a victim....

by Ravyn 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I may have to cut back on my forum reading. This is getting discouraging. Everyone knows the problem, feels the problem, but very few want to act on the problem. I understand perfectly all the reasons for anonymity and egg-shell walking around JW family and friends still in, but there is a point when you gotta stop and think 'what if we ALL did something at once and no one stood alone in it' wouldn't it make an impact impossible for the rest of the Universe to ignore? Write one letter, make one phone call...ALL ON THE SAME DAY. From all over the world....strength in numbers thing--you know?

Ah well I feel like I am just wasting my breath. I don't have the physical strength to be a leader, yet I have yet to find someone else who can get others motivated enough to break out of the victim mode and make a difference in this life and in this world.

So I will cut back on this forum for a while. I will still be here, but not allowing myself to get so personally involved. But I have to tell everyone, as much as I love you all---I am getting to the '$h!t or get off the pot' level. You want the Borg pulled down brick by brick then friggin grab a brick! But remember, if we all grabbed for a brick at the same time, with the same purpose of mind, it would tumble down like a nuclear bomb hit it.

Ravyn

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ravyn

I agree that we each need to do something

Many people are doing "something" People might not hear about it - or post about it - but things are being done

Historically no revolution that seeks to destroy in one "coup d'etat" really works.

Grassroots - that 'one brick at a time' you mentionned works better in the long run. It may seem painfully slow to some and it is, but there is movement and action. It will gain momentum when the time is right. But the collective of ex-JWs is a rather new development.

When I left 18 years ago there was no internet. There was no way one ex to connect with a world wide fellowship of others who have left. We stayed isolated and uneducated about the workings of this organization that many still believed was the "truth" even though we were on the outside looking in/back.

The internet provides us community and information. We share what we learn. And we grow in our knowledge of the workings of the WTS. Many of us have family who are still trapped. And some of those, would feel painfully lost if the WTS would disappear tomorrow. This is especially true if they have sacrificed their whole lives for a future that will not happen. We need a safety net for them to fall into. We are working on it by being here and forming a community for the lost and disillusioned.

Many books have been written. And there are more in the works.

People are doing research and more scandals are erupting.

The WTS's own literature condemns them.

But it takes time to allow this to filter in, like a dripping tap, eventually it begins to wear away and soon becomes a flood. I think we are past the drip drip stage but not yet in the flood

Hang on because I really think it is coming

And sadly even when that does happen some will choose to stay and rebuild

Que sera, sera

• Jessica Rabbit
    Jessica Rabbit

Ravyn,

My sentiments exactly. I have no tolerance for whiners because I tend to follow right behind them. I have stopped pulling up any threads that look like negative hopeless topics. I get a kick out of some of these people who want to knock God, but don't give anything better to replace him with. I did run completely away from "sprituality" in the beginning. I guess I could blame it on my JW upbringing, but what difference would it make. It's all about making decisions and it is never too late to change something if you aren't happy. I would love to make a difference where the WTS is concerned. I guess I am like you, I don't have the energy to be a leader. I would be willing to join in a team effort if you have any suggestions though.

JR

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

((((((Ravyn)))))

Please don't go away completely, who's going to give me good liver recipes??

But seriously, I know how you feel and sometimes i feel like i really want to do something... but am at a total loss of where to begin.

For me, the simple fact that I am enjoying life and being happy away from the dubs gives me satisfaction, because they think that anyone who walks away from that religon is going to be miserable "wandering about in darkness" as they put it. Well, I've never been happier..

*doodle gets off her soapbox*

I guess what im trying to say is that.... oh heck... i dont know.... just don't dissapear.

Doodle

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

well put Lady Lee

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I understand what you are saying Lady Lee, i really do. But on this forum especially there are many vocal people who do not DO anything but complain on this forum when some of that energy could be directed in a way that would do someone some good other than themselves.

I refuse to think the the way to tear down anything is with a drop of water at atime. Yes it happens. after a few million years! I am not at the mercy of fate here. We live ina technologically advanced world and the opportunities to make something happen faster than a drop of water are virtually(punny huh?) endless!

If I wait around for that drop of water to do its job the Watchtower will crumble on its own with failed prophecies and arcane values. Which may happen. But there are so many people who are frustrated and hurting and angry and they just sit on their butts and let it eat them up inside!

I am sure there are some who are doing something like you said. But if it is not making any more difference than nature taking its course---that drop of water again--then why bother? I either need to DO something or leave it all and go on to something else. This hanging back waiting for my Prince to come is what makes me old, unfulfilled, and bitter. It will happen to us all in the end.

Just how I feel about it.

Ravyn

• heathen
    heathen

Ravyn ------- There are many people on this board who are people of action . The silent lambs march on the watchtower head quarters was one instance at pulling down the bricks .If you don't want to discuss the issue on the forum that is your decision .There are plenty here like myself who continue to try and find the truth about the WT by reading the stories of those who were in . I'm not saying I believe everything I see here either but gives me some insight to the situation .

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I can relate to your comments about those who complain and do nothing. Like you many people don't know what to do. Even when given suggestions some people still don't do anything - out of apathy? fear? seeming lack of ability? Money? perhaps other reasons.

That water is no longer a drop. It is a stream. As soon as one scandal is uncovered another surfaces. And the stream will soon be a river - wide and powerful.

Tkae the Boer vs WTS case. A win!!! That says something. Even though the judge made some pretty big mistakes Vickie still won. This judge seemed to understand the control this org has over its members. This is important. All the media attention, all the information , all the educating people are doing is adding up.

You ask what can I do. Well some have suggested writing letters to the media. Or to the judge in Vickie's case. Put flyers up. Mail them out. Deliver them yourself

I have done all of the following (not to blow my horn but to give examples of things to do)

Leave a lamb at your local kingdom hall. Heck I have even taken silentlamb business cards that I made and gone door to door with them. Write a letter to your politicians about pedophiles knocking on your door. Put silentlamb flyers on cars at JW parking lots. Hand them out at assemblies Drop silentlamb cards around the assembly location, floors, desks, washrooms etc. Talk to people when they mention the JWs - tell what you know. Offer to give lectures. Be a guest speaker for a school, church, community centre. Write a book. Make a web page. Post on any website where you can legitimately bring up the subject. "Witness" to the JWs who come to your door

The possibilities are endless with a bit of ingenuity.

As for the "complainers". We all need a period of time to recover from our hurts and losses. Some need more time than others. Some stay stuck (hopefully not too many).If you find it drags you down then like you say don't read them. Do what is right for you and let us know how it went.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

During the winter, we look at a leafless tree and conclude that it is doing nothing. Just because activity is beneath the surface does not mean there is no activity.

I always felt that people were doing things, and that I just didn't know about them.

Should we all be required to fill in monthly time cards?

Does everyone have to know what everyone else is doing or has done?

What about those who contributed so much years ago but have now fallen into "inactivity"? Should we dishonor them for their recent apparent slothfulness? I think not. We are now standing on the shoulders of those giants of old.

DO WE NEED BORGANIZATION, PEOPLE?

This is what I think: do what you can to the extent that your resources allow. Do what YOU think is appropriate. Not everything has to be a committee project. Other times it is useful to bring others in on the project as it evolves. Don't strain yourself, financially, emotionally or physically. Your individual freedom is already a loss for the WTB&TS, anything else is bonus. Be gentle with yourself and others.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well said Nathan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit