The Watchtower's Real Crisis

by JeffT 74 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty
    For the Borg, this is a good investment.

To call it an investment implies that investing money now will bring greater financial returns in longer term.

Dropping print in favour of digital (they had no choice due to Swaggart law case) has in fact turned a lucrative business into one with zero income.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Point taken, Cofty. Their videos are an investment only in the sense that it helps to mainstream the JW sect and attract new membership. They have to hope that those new members earned university educations before entering the sect and thus will be better contributors than the born-ins.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Hey JeffT,

I beg to differ, I think the GB are knocking out some great ideas at the moment 😝

https://youtu.be/SjHMev8S8DA

https://youtu.be/_YmXWtwCyt8

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Dropping print in favour of digital (they had no choice due to Swaggart law case) has in fact turned a lucrative business into one with zero income.

The problem wasn't the court case, it was the Watchtower's reaction to it. They could have kept doing what they were doing and paid the taxes (if I remember right it involved state sales tax). I believe they didn't go there because it would have made the sales numbers public information, and as always, they didn't want anybody to know what they were doing.

Had they chosen the other course, I think they could still have a reasonable income from print sales.

• cofty
    cofty

That's interesting JeffT. I have wondered whether they had other options.

I suppose it would have also set the tone they have always tried to avoid by using the word "place" instead of sell.

I wonder whether the sale would count when the publisher paid for their magazines at the literature counter or when they sold it at the door. It might have raised all sorts of complications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit