New poll shows public knows Jehovah's Witnesses and dislike them....almost as much as the Church of Satan

by Balaamsass2 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

""The world's verdict stands:

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE HARMFUL AND TOXIC!

:smile: :smile: :smile:""

Until their policies and practises change, they will be viewed as just that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I’m sure any JW would be pleased with the results of that poll. They would see it as evidence that they were right since Jesus said that his followers would be hated and persecuted. If they were popular something would be wrong.

• jhine
    jhine

JWGoneBad , l read Slim's post differently . To me he was saying that JWs would equate themselves with the early Christians.

Jan

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

jhine I didn’t understand the response.

BluesBrother that’s true, but on the other hand JWs are quick to quote praise for: clean stadiums, paying taxes in full, love among members, diligence at school and work, and so on.

I am a bit surprised by the poll finding. Yet I have experienced it to some extent. Over the past few years I have interacted with a number of Unitarians and I find that many Unitarians really dislike JWs. They are liberal when it comes to almost everything else, but when it comes to JWs (or other Christian fundamentalists to be fair) they really can’t stand them.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

slimboyfat did it occur to you that many Unitarians really dislike the JWs (and other fundamentalists) because JWs (and other fundamentalists) have core values diametrically opposite of Unitarians? Modern day Unitarians highly value freedom of thought (including in regards to religion), but the WT opposes its members from exercising freedom of thought in religious matters and from expressing criticisms of the WT with other JWs. The Unitarians highly value higher education and the pursuit of high level careers whereas the WT highly discourages JWs from obtaining university degrees and high level careers and the WT is sharply critical of the scientific idea of evolution. The Unitarians Universalists are highly tolerant of their members being a Unitarian and of a different religion (such as Muslim) at the same time, but the JW religion condemns all religions other than their own and says that Jehovah and Jesus will destroy all religions and all worshipers other than the JW religion and JWs. The Unitarians are highly tolerant of Unitarians beings atheists whereas the JW religion is extremely intolerant of JWs being atheists.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

slimboyfat notice from the website of the Unitarian Universalists are so radically different from the WT/JW religion. Notice that https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/principles says the following.

"As Rev. Barbara Wells ten Hove explains, “The Principles are not dogma or doctrine, but rather a guide for those of us who choose to join and participate in Unitarian Universalist religious communities.”

1. 1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    2. 2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    3. 3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    4. 4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    5. 5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    6. 6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
    7. 7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
    The seven Principles and six Sources of the Unitarian Universalist Association grew out of the grassroots of our communities, were affirmed democratically, and are part of who we are. "

https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/beliefs says the folklowing.

"We Welcome People with Many Beliefs

In Unitarian Universalism, you can bring your whole self: your full identity, your questioning mind, your expansive heart.

... Explore the links below to learn how Unitarian Universalists weave these traditions and identities into who they are today.

What Unites Us?

We are united in our broad and inclusive outlook, and in our values, as expressed in our seven Principles."

https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/sources says the following.

"Sources of Our Living Tradition

• Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
    • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
    • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;
    • Spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature."

... https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/life-death says the following.

'At the beginning of life, we welcome children with ceremonies of Child Dedication, in which we affirm the goodness and the blessing in every human life. You could say we believe in “original blessing” rather than “original sin.”

... Unitarian Universalist views about life after death are informed by both science and spiritual traditions. Many of us live with the assumption that life does not continue after death, and many of us hold it as an open question, wondering if our minds will have any awareness when we are no longer living. Few of us believe in divine judgment after death. It’s in our religious DNA: the Universalist side of our tradition broke with mainstream Christianity by rejecting the idea of eternal damnation."

https://www.uua.org/beliefs/who-we-are says the following.

"We have radical roots and a history as self-motivated spiritual people: we think for ourselves and recognize that life experience influences our beliefs more than anything.

We need not think alike to love alike. We are people of many beliefs and backgrounds: people with a religious background, people with none, people who believe in a God, people who don’t, and people who let the mystery be.

We are Unitarian Universalist and Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Humanist, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, atheist and agnostic, believers in God, and more.

On the forefront of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer inclusion for more than 40 years, we are people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.

We seek to welcome you: your whole self, with all your truths and your doubts, your worries and your hopes. Join us on this extraordinary adventure of faith."

https://www.uua.org/safe says the following.

"Professional Misconduct Complaints

• Our ministers, credentialed religious educators, and credentialed music leaders are held to high standards for appropriate behavior. Our Office of Ethics and Safety handles Complaints of Professional Misconduct for these professionals who serve our faith. The UUA's system for responding to complaints of professional misconduct is grounded in principles of restorative justice and reconciliation."

The Unitarian Universalists also urge people to be active voters - the opposite of what the Wt/JW urges. Notice that https://www.uua.org/justice says the following.

"Directly or indirectly, the issues so many of us care most deeply about—climate change, LGBTQ rights, immigration, racial justice and more—are part of every election and on every ballot. UUs are called to join forces with all people who want to organize our communities and our nation to #VoteLove and #DefeatHate. Let’s UU the Vote to defend democracy and voting rights." They probably also view the United Nations favorably.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/04/the-most-and-least-educated-u-s-religious-groups/ list (in a chart) the Unitarian Universalists as the religion with its members being the 2nd most college educated in the USA in contrast to the Jehovah's Witnesses being the 3rd least college educated in the USA. The web page says the following. "By far, Hindus and Unitarian Universalists have among the largest share of those with a college degree – 77% and 67% respectively."

In light of the above, do you now see why "... many Unitarians really dislike JWs ..."? They represent much of what the WT/JW religion calls Babylon the Great (but in many respects in what I consider a good way) and the WT/JW religion says that Babylon the Great will be destroyed by God, so naturally many Unitarian Universalists would disprove of the WT religion and dislike many of its JWs. They also appear to handle cases of sexual abuse of children far better than the WT/JW religion does.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"BluesBrother that’s true, but on the other hand JWs are quick to quote praise for: clean stadiums, paying taxes in full, love among members, diligence at school and work, and so on.""

It's often left out by the Borg that other groups can do just the same for their part in leaving stadiums clean.

It's just that the Borg doesn't pay taxes and has love amongst themselves.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    JWGoneBad , l read Slim's post differently . To me he was saying that JWs would equate themselves with the early Christians.

You're correct jhine...that's why my reply is JWs are 10% Christian & 90% cult & lead by 8 eggheads!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes I am familiar with Unitarian principles and practices, Disillusioned JW. I am a Unitarian. What surprises me is that their tolerance doesn’t extend to conservative groups as well. Or at least it extends to some groups but not to others - they give traditional Muslims/Hindus/Sikhs a lot more slack than traditional Christians. Tolerance of intolerance does involve internal tension, but there are thoughtful individuals, among Unitarians too, who attempt to strike a balance.

This video captures the vibe of a certain strand of Unitarian Universalism embracing everything except the Bible:

https://youtu.be/Z78_rAg4Ldg

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Growing up in the Borg our PO/congregation Servant would weekly talk about not bringing reproach on Jehovah's name. We have joined our neighborhood watch "nextdoor" email chain, and I am amazed at how many of the retirees in the neighborhood WARN the neighbors when they believe JWs are in the neighborhood in service. You would think a carload of child molesters were roaming the streets.

Watchtower truly HAS made "Jehovah's name known"...just not in a good way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit