New poll shows public knows Jehovah's Witnesses and dislike them....almost as much as the Church of Satan

by Balaamsass2 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Wow. While not a PEW survey, I found these to be surprising results. " A recent YouGov poll explores Americans' attitudes toward 35 religious groups, organizations, and belief systems. Belief systems that encompass the largest shares of Americans — including Christianity, Catholicism, and Protestantism — are among the ones the most Americans view favorably. Viewed least favorably are Satanism and Scientology.

The poll asked 1,000 respondents whether they viewed a random sample of 17 of the 35 religions or groups very favorably, somewhat favorably, neither favorably nor unfavorably, somewhat unfavorably, or very unfavorably; respondents also could select "not sure" instead of any of these. To produce a net score for each religion or group, we subtracted the share who said they view each one unfavorably from the share who said they view it favorably." https://today.yougov.com/topics/society/articles-reports/2022/12/23/americans-views-religious-groups-yougov-poll?fbclid=IwAR2tG9pKU2YEB9EaAqtRzO7H6b1GVZm7vcYgDxkDA4sUV0-FXY4fXWDjy40

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Worth a screenshot.

A couple of observations.

JWs are polarizing. The gray area of 'not sure' being only 11% shows JWs are well known enough so that most people have a strong opinion one way or another. 23% view JWs Very unfavorable (one of the worst, only beat out by Satanism, Scientology, and Athiesm).

Overall it's pretty damning, though not surprising to me.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

dropooff....I'd be willing to bet my retirement fund that not one in 10 of those who responded could tell you anything meaningful about any religion other than the ones they belonged to. Then they still know almost nothing about their religion's past, policies, and doctrine. People tend to offer opinions even when they don't have one.

In my estimation 70% of Americans are functional Agnostics or Apatheists.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Here what's soo funny about the results of this poll in connection Jehovah’s Witnesses...JWs take it upon themselves to preach their own interpretation of the Bible to the world and in the end...the world's overall view of JWs is that they're harmful and toxic!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Those are some striking results. According to that chart, as many people have an unfavourable view of JWs as have an unfavourable view of fundamentalist Mormons. Isn’t that the group whose leader went to jail for isolating and financially exploiting his followers, and marrying and abusing dozens of women, some of them underage? That seems a pretty harsh verdict and comparison.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The world's verdict stands:

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES ARE HARMFUL AND TOXIC!

:) :) :)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I suppose a JW might respond that the early Christians would have got a low rating by their contemporaries too. Pliny the Younger, for example, was pretty scathing about the impact of Christians on society. As with other successful movements in religious history they are well adapted to interpret both praise and criticism from outsiders as indications they are on the right path.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I think i see the problem here slimboyfat...sounds like you place JWs on the same level as early Christians...I don't!

Early Christians were 100% Christian...Jehovah’s Witnesses are 10% Christian (I'm being generous) and 90% cult lead along & controlled by 8 meatheads!

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

Not strange. Jesus spoke of love and healing. GB speak about 99% population must die in harmagedon. Maeby if they went with Jesus message they would be more liked.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Regarding the attitudes towards atheists and nonreligious people in general, and some of the concerns of those people, I found the following article very informative and interesting.: https://www.atheists.org/2022/12/ny-governor-hochul-secular-recovery-bill/ .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit