Harry Potter Promoting Occultism??

by Satanus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Does Harry Potter promote occultism?

Depends on what you mean by promote. The book has wizards, witches, potions, magic and other supernatural references. Does it encourage people to become wizards, witches, etc? No. But it makes these fictional characters who use magic and supernatural forces seem normal and ordinary. To fundamentalists and extremists, this is promotion of the occult. To more liberal minded people, it's just a good fairy tale.

I have enjoyed the movies and the books. I don't see it as harmful when you take it for what it is, a fairy tale fantasy. The one thing that did stick out as unusual to me though was the fact they observed Christmas and Easter holidays. So these are Christian wizards? I don't see the connection. Halloween makes sense but not the Christ related holidays. Just shows that it's a story meant to be enjoyed and not dissected I guess.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    Then the snake spoke to him. This shows a high psychic ability in potter, although psychism doesn't come up much, anymore. Still, the fact remains that he is supposed to be strongly psychic.

IYou were harping on the psychic abilities remember and the magic.

Tolken is totally compatable w christianity, and the battle between good and evil. Even dubs read it long before the movies came out.

Then you said this

WTF do you think Gandalf does lounge acts LOL What do you think the elfqueen does SHE COMMUNICATES VIA TELEPATHY TO FRODO GEESH re-read the friggin book or watch the movies. Oh I could go on and on GEESSH

Then I said this in response to your above comment that was totally out of the ballpark on logic.

So, sheila, are you saying potter is compatable w christianity and tolken isn't?

This is your last question. So yes, I believe you are twisting my words or in a more true sense you are making statments being found lacking in relevancy and then tweaking them enough that then my comments sound off. You said that Tolkien Was TOTALLY compatible with Christianity I showed you two examples that differ. I can prove that Harry Potter is but a thin example of what Tolkien is but I can also prove just as the main point of Tolkien was not the promotion of the occult or psychic power Whoooo It was the fight against good and evil as is Harry Potter. Potter fights evil in just abuse of his 'foster" family. Their fear of what he is (a wizard) and their preference for their son and lack of love but it is a very abusive situation. Then he meets Hagrid a half-giant and one should fear half-giants right but no he shows from the first minute his love for Harry. So just as Tolkien fought good and Evil so does Rowling.

Therefore I have answered you on the topic of your thread have I not. If you can stomach Tolkien and find the magic within fine. Then you should have no problem with Harry Potter, right. Because If Tolkien is Tolken is totally compatable w christianity then therefore Harry Potter is too.

• Francois
    Francois

The snake spoke to Eve, too.

God spoke from a burning bush.

Lots daughters got their father drunk and had their way with him.

There's more of the occult in the Bible than is dreamed of in Harry Potter.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Re: Harry Potter Promoting Occultism??

I certainly hope so!

Ravyn

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Asleif---you took the magick word right out of my mouth!

Ravyn--who is a real witch(not wiccan tho) and who thinks Harry Potter portrays it more correctly than 'The Craft' or 'Charmed'!

• Satanus
    Satanus
    I believe you are twisting my words or in a more true since you are making statments being found lacking in relevancy and then tweaking them enough that then my comments sound off.

Ahh, so i wasn't twisting your words after all. But, in an attempt to make this false accusation stick, you redefine 'twisting my words'. If you find that your posts sound 'off' after you post them, try to understand what i'm saying first.

If you can stomach Tolkien and find the magic within fine. Then you should have no problem with Harry Potter, right.

*Sigh* When did i say i had a problem w potter? Do you read selectively, or read into things, or is this another 'observation', along w your 'observation' that

As I said I am sorry you view children as such one demensional beings swayed by everything SIGH

and

you said that this is an undue influence on their spirituality.

Neither of which i said.

SS

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I have to run errands but I will address your ?'s when I get back are you going to back away from your comment

Tolken is totally compatable w christianity, and the battle between good and evil. Even dubs read it long before the movies came out.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah sure, i'll back away from that. It's been many yrs since i read tolken, the first two books, i believe. But many christians agree w it.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    If you can stomach Tolkien and find the magic within fine

You didn't address my whole sentence AGAIN. I said the magic within your point is on it promoting the occult RIGHT

Sigh* When did i say i had a problem w potter? Do you read selectively, or read into things, or is this another 'observation', along w your 'observation' that

You premise is that it promotes the occult and I said that if you can stomach Tolkien and the magic within then you should have no issue with Potter.

Or have you changed your mind?

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    learning to have faith in their own abilities, rather than god?

You said this so I would say that you are saying it would have influence their spirituaity. Isn't that the question you are supposing by this sentence. <HEAVY SIGH>

And as far as by comment on you thinking that children are one dimensional, it goes back to comments such as these.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit