Harry Potter Promoting Occultism??

by Satanus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus

Jesus, Shelia, calm down. You're totally misunderstanding St. Satan.

Dedalus

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

A couple of points on this:

One day last week, I was listening to Curtis and Kuby (who host a NYC talk show on WABC-AM) fill in for vacationing Sean Hannity on his national program. They had people calling in to express their opinions of Harry Potter. I found it interesting that, at least during the time that I was listening, the people who called in who said they were Christians (with one exception), for the most part had no objection to the books, but thought they were harmless children’s literature. However, the one man who called in and said he was a practicing Wiccan said that, although he enjoyed the stories for their own sake, he didn’t care for the way that witches were portrayed. He thought that the books might give people a severely distorted idea of what Wicca is and what witches really do. An interesting viewpoint for a Wiccan to have, I thought, if the books are really ‘teaching children witchcraft’ as some would claim.

Additionally, I am currently reading the third novel myself. In the chapters I read last night, Harry faces a critter called a boggart, which manifests itself as whatever its victim fears most. In order to defeat it, one must visualize the feared thing in a way that makes it look foolish, and cast a spell that makes it really look that way. The subsequent laughter destroys the creature’s power. And the magic word used to cast the spell? Riddikulus! With magic words like that, does anybody really think that real witchcraft is what is being taught in these books? (Of course, I suppose that you Wiccans out there could get me to rethink this point, if “riddikulus” is an actual magic word…)

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    (Of course, I suppose that you Wiccans out there could get me to rethink this point, if “riddikulus” is an actual magic word…)

All words are magic words

What makes the "magic" is energy and intent. Sort of the way some Christians think the harder you pray the louder God hears you and the better chance you have of having your prayer answered (they way you want it).

Magic doesn't work by reading a spell book and inserting tab A into slot B, which is how magic works in the Potter books and most other fairy tales. Most Wiccans and others who do magic (not all witches are Wiccans, most Wiccans say they work magic and are witches) have to make up a "spell" (I've even stopped thinking of it that way) by using things that have meaning to them...want to do a spell to bring abundance into your life? First you have to use items that symbolize abundance to you...using a store-bought spell that uses items that signals abundance to somebody else does not necessarily work on your own subconscious. Which is how magic works.

Harry Potter was raised by people who abused and belittled him, until he was 'rescued' by those who were his parents' friends and brought to Hogwarts where he was appreciated. If "giving kids the idea" that you don't have to put up with abuse bothers some people, that tells me more about the people than it does about the books.

Edited to add: And if there's something wrong with teaching kids to be empathetic to creatures like snakes who are kept in glass cages and tormented by nasty people like Harry's cousin, then I prefer the "something wrong" seating section, thanks.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Dedulas: Your point is, the caps were for emphasis not for yelling. I didn't misunderstand St.made statments regarding Tolkien that were rubbish I countered with fact. and....????

oops this was SheilaM not Thunder

• Satanus
    Satanus

When i was a dub, some of them were into tolken. In my christian days, they were into tolken and made the statement about it being compatable w christianity. So, sheila, are you saying potter is compatable w christianity and tolken isn't?

SS

• topanga
    topanga

watchtower doesn't want the competition. Harry Potter books are in demand wt will get parents to reject it so they have more money to spend on jw books. the same old book over and over with a new cover and different pictures. ha huh

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    So, sheila, are you saying potter is compatable w christianity and tolken isn't?

No, but I am wondering if you ever read it at all. Heck, the two examples I stated before are much more than anything in Harry Potter. I love how you love to twist what I say. Your comment was totally funny about Tolkien is all. Thunder almot pissed himself when he read it. Tolkien has far more majic, evil and mind reading than anything in any of the Potter books. In fact most books of this genre look to Tolkien because he is "The King" with his works. If you want I could do a character by character, majic by majic breakdown but really only if you have really read the books ALL of the books. As I said I started reading Tolkien as a child and have re-read all of the books before the movies director even thought to make them.

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

If Harry Potter promotes occultism, I'm the Virgin Mary. sup mary hows it hangin

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

oh oh oh and tolkien kicks ass always has always will i give him two thumbs up wayyyyyyyyyyyyy up. hell i think i need to re read them its been highschool since i read the last and thats entirely to dang long.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I love how you love to twist what I say.

How did i do that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit