local, strange jw thinking

by lancelink 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• lancelink
    lancelink

I was reading today that the last Star Wars movie will be playing next week. Doing a little searching, I found that there have been 12 movies in the saga total, ( Box office, Total (12 films): $9.323 billion.).

It got me thinking about when The Empire Strikes back came out, it was the second movie ( 1980). I went to a showing with a group of uber jw's, and after the movie ended, they all were talking about how George Lucas better hurry up and finish the next installment. They wanted to see what happened before Armageddon came. It was totally unreal to me how fanatical the witnesses were about this fact, they were a mix of young people and several older, established in the religion type folks. I was 20 at that time.

It now has been 39 years since that episode,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That was one of the first inklings I had that something was wrong with the thought process of these so called "religious" people .

Does anyone else have a situation where you realized that your local group of jw's had some unreal thinking ?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Strange and JW in same phrase. Need I say more?

We do want to hang on to parts of the world.

Wasnt star wars violent, contrary to the JW view of the universe?

• stillin
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?
    Those were my exact words back in the day!
  • Ding
    Ding

The next time a JW tells you how close Armageddon is, show him or her this compendium.

1915 "The present great war in Europe is the beginning of the Armageddon of the Scriptures (Rev 19:16-20). It will eventuate in the complete overthrow of all the systems of error which have so long oppressed the people of God and deluded the world. We believe the present war cannot last much longer until revolutions shall break out" (C.T. Russell, Pastor Russell's Sermons, p. 676, Sometime during World War I)

1938 ...mark the words of Jesus, which definitely seem to discourage the bearing of children immediately before or during Armageddon .. It would therefore appear that there is no reasonable or scriptural injunction to bring children into the world immediately before Armageddon, where we now are." {WT Nov 1 1938 324}

1941 "Receiving the gift, [Rutherford's book, Children] the marching children clasped it to them, not a toy or plaything for idle pleasure, but the Lord's provided instrument for most effective work in the remaining months before Armageddon." (Watchtower Sept. 15, 1941, p. 288)

1942 "Now, with Armageddon immediately before us, it is a matter of life or destruction. Those who would be of the Lord’s other sheep that shall compose the great multitude of Armageddon survivors and live joyfully on earth forever must find the answer to a very personal question, and very important." (Watchtower, April 1, 1942, p. 139)

1946 "the disaster of Armageddon, greater than that which befell Sodom and Gomorrah, is at the door." (Let God Be True, 1946, p. 194)

1955 "in the light of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy it is becoming clear that the war of Armageddon is nearing its breaking-out point." (You May Survive Armageddon into God’s New World, 1955, p 331)

1968 "The immediate future is certain to be filled with climatic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these last days will undergo fulfillment resulting in the liberation of surviving mankind into Christ's glorious 1000 year reign!" (Watchtower, 1/5/1968)

1968 "True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end' to the world, even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that He was using and guiding them. .. But what about today? Today we have the evidence required, all of it. And it is overwhelming! All the many, many parts of the great sign of the last days are here, together with verifying Bible chronology." {Awake Oct 8 1968 23}

1969 "If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. {Awake May 22 1969 15}}

1969 "in view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous....Many young brothers and sisters were offered scholarship or employment that promised fine pay. However, they turned them down and put spiritual interests first." (Kingdom Ministry, June 1969, p. 3)

1974 "Yes, the end of this system is so very near! Is that not reason to increase our activity?...Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end." (Kingdom Ministry, May 1974, p. 3)

1980 "If the wicked system of this world survived until the turn of the century, which is highly improbable in view of world trends and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, there would still be survivors of the World War I generation. However, the fact that their number is dwindling is one more indication that 'the conclusion of the system of things' is moving fast toward its end." {WT Oct 15 1980 31}

1984 Some of that "generation (of 1914)" could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that "the end" is much closer than that! (The Watchtower, March 1, 1984 pp. 18-19)

• Alive!
    Alive!

I heard many strange, strange things amongst JWs....along with good, caring things...a mixed bag.

Something that always stood out to me, was an old semi-lighthearted practice amongst some JWs of bagging favourite pieces of real estate, for post-Armageddon occupation...whilst on the ministry.

i experienced this in two different countries, opposite sides of the globe.

It seemed so ‘wrong’ on so many levels, even if done in jest.

An elder explained that the brothers and sisters used to place their songbooks in the letter boxes of the houses that they ‘wanted’ after the destruction of the occupants.

I guess it was a joke....but for a Christian?

Really? How unhealthy to have that even lightheartedly on one’s mind.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Something that always stood out to me, was an old semi-lighthearted practice amongst some JWs of bagging favourite pieces of real estate, for post-Armageddon occupation...whilst on the ministry.

Hey Alive, I agree! Not where I am from! I was really shocked when I heard people did this. Firstly, we where taught ALL pre~Armageddon buildings would be destroyed anyway ( yes! That includes you Watchtowers new WARWICK complex !!!) and secondly, it would have been deemed cruel, covetous, materialistic and VERY unChristian.

• carla
    carla

Ding,

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Armageddon will happen in our overlapping lifetimes.

Or..maybe not.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Ding

I love that 1968 quote. They cant even read their own comments?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit