Do You Know Of Reasons Why Some Got Removed From Their Privileges?

by minimus 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Tammie
    Tammie

I know of some.

My FIL lost his position of being an elder because his adult daughter (but not all there mentally) stopped going to the meetings and refused to go.

My best friend's dad was removed from being an elder because he refused to turn his back on his kids. One of his daughters got married to a non-JW man. She was put on reproof. Long story short she caught her husband cheating on her. She left him and moved back in with her parents till she could get on her feet.

Another friend was a MS. He made the mistake of marrying the wrong woman (sister). Less than 2 weeks later she walked out. In trying to do what was right, he tried to see if they could work it out. She said no way. I guess she did not want to live in a misserable life. Any way he lost all his privelages. (Passing of the mic, parts on the meetings, things like that.) Yet on the other hand I knew an elder who did get a divorse. His wife tried to save the marrage, but he did not care. He kept his position as an elder with all his privelages. I only learned receintly that his wife passed away about a year ago from cancer. And that SOB never attened her funeral. She was faithful to him till the day she died.

• dobby
    dobby

My husband was deleted as an elder over a bookstudy change.

He had just started conducting a bookstudy and it really was a wonderful, tight knit group. My husband is really good with people and he was making strides in reaching each member of the group, including a brother who was inactive. Actually the three months in the bookstudy were probably the most enjoyable meetings I have ever attended.

The service committee decided to move him to another bookstudy (we think it's because the service overseer wanted our group - the change seemed to coincide with his annual visit). My husband approached the service overseer and explained the situation - he said he thought he would like to keep the book study because of the inactive brother - he was really opening up to him. The service overseer said, o.k. he would talk to the committee but it shouldn't be a problem.

The next Sunday meeting it was announced the my husband would be conducting the new bookstudy. He was pretty mad that his opinion was not considered and pulled the service overseer and p.o. into the library to confront them. It ended up being a bit of a shouting match - between BOTH sides mind you (very paul and barnabas) in the end my husband walked away thinking everything would be fine. he acquiesed and said he would take the new bookstudy and although disappointed, we chalked things up.

Tuesday he gets a phone call that the brothers want to meet with him Thursday after the meeting. My husband is getting really nervous. He decides to write a letter to step down - thinking he is the cause of contention among the brothers. He decides to take it to the Thursday meeting.

Thursday meeting. My husband and I arrive at the hall. My husband is easygoing - talking with people, etc. When I notice a chilling thing. One by one, each of his close friends are being pulled aside by a different elder and questioned. Later we find out they were questioned as to whether or not my husband spoke against the elders.

Meeting with the elders. The elders try to say my husband accused the elders. (of what we have never known) they actually said verbatim "accused the elders'. My husband tries to step down. They tell him no. HOWEVER, they tell him he is removed from his teaching duties until further notice. My husband writes a rebuttal to their accusations and sends personal letters of apology to the brothers he lost his temper with.

His rebuttal ruins their "accused the brothers" accusation. So they charge him with "belligerence" and tell him he has to wait until the CO visits before they deal with him. He refutes this accusation with several articles and the fact that the other bros. shouted at him.

In the end he was deleted for "unreasonablness" very creative on the part of that stick up his ass C.O we had. It was 2 and a half months of pure hell. We were marked, lost our friends and I suffered terrible anxiety over the fear of losing God's favor. What a mess.

However I did get a bit of satisfaction. The p.o. claimed the reason for the book study change was that the new group was closer to our home and he was thinking of us. I called him one night and told him that I had clocked the miles to the new book study and it was about 4 miles farther than the old study. He didn't say a word and I hung up on him.

• rocketman
    rocketman

This has become one powerful thread. These accounts certainly show a total lack of Christian consideration. It's hard to pick which are the most appalling, and I know it's not a competition to see who got hurt the most, but the story from dobby and the one by Ravyn really have me shaking my head in near disbelief (near, because I know from experience how ridiculous things can get in jw land).

Also, we have already seen that such occurances are not limited to just certain areas or congregations or elder bodies. It's a widespread lack of application of biblical principals - the very principals they claim so adamantly they uphold.

• dobby
    dobby

You said it rocketman.

Word.

• blackout
    blackout

YEP!

My best friend's dad was removed from being an elder because he refused to turn his back on his kids. One of his daughters got married to a non-JW man. She was put on reproof. Long story short she caught her husband cheating on her. She left him and moved back in with her parents till she could get on her feet.

This happened in our congregation too, to a couple of Elders. One had a unbaptised daughter who got with child with an unbaptised lad. They both were shunned and the dad removed as an elder. Later the lad left her for another girl and she moved back home.

Then an Elders son was sleeping with the MS daughter, both were disfellowshipped. The Elder stepped down but the MS position was not affected! The Elder and his family soon moved away.

A friend of mine who was an Elder stepped down due to his seeing corruption in the Elder body in his cong. I dont know the details though. Later all the Elders there were removed and new ones sent to replace them. My friend soon moved away.

• nowisee
    nowisee

yes, ravyn's and dobby's stories are (i wish i could say incredible and unbelievable) similar to others which have been heard about all too frequently.

my father served in just about every capacity in the cong. when he was removed as TMS servant it was because he could not agree with a particular flip-flop in doctrine. he said he would remain silent on it and not preach against it but that was not good enough and after some 40 years of service was removed. (new blood getting rid of the old blood??)

best wishes and my deep compassion to those who have been so hurt by wts.

nowisee

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Some brothers get their privileges removed because they committed adultery, others because they were abusive fathers, yet others because they were habitual liars, and even others because they were idiots. The list of reasons why some men lose their "privileges" could I suppose be almost endless. Most however are not railroaded or innocent of wrong doing.

IW

• minimus
    minimus

If a brother commits a DF'ing sin, he's supposed to get deleted. But there are more than a few brothers that I know of that simply had personality differences with one another and got removed because they were considered belligerent or divisive. I've seen elders and servants get counseled and threatened with deletion because someone in the family wasn't getting the congregation's averages in. I've known of ones that got axed because they "thought" differently than the rest. Their brains and mindset was not the same as the body's. I know of elders that LOOKED for anything they could find to strip a man of his duties. It's a big boy's club.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The "minimus reason" is a common one, I fear. I was to be removed because I had been away on Tuesday evening during the CO's visit. When I protested, they added the point that one of my children was a junkie. Sadly for them, he had been so for 10 years, and I had been appointed after that. I appealed, and at the appeal committee meeting, no mention was made of the previous two reasons. Now it was said I was "difficult to cooperate with". But, the removal was cancelled. Much to the anger of the locals. So a year later they wanted to remove me again. Why? Because I had talked to a DF'ed family member - which they "forgave" - but then I refused to declare that if another family member should be DF'ed in future, I then would not talk to that person. So I was going to be removed for a hypothetical future situation. I then had one week to reconsider. After which I wrote my resignation letter, stating they were all wrong and did put organizational procedures above the Bible. Since then, I've been mighty closely watched.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Blackout said *The Elder and his family soon moved away

Later all the Elders there were removed and new ones sent to replace them. My friend soon moved away.

Seems like a whole lot of moving going on. Maybe thats why we moved so many times growing up.

This also reminds me my dad once told me that I should keep trying different congregations until I found one that fit my personality. I told him I would not drive several congregtions away to sit with people that I didn't even know...... But I will drive 12 hours to meet with apostates in Green Bay. Just kidding about the last part. I didn't really say anything about Green Bay.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit