Surname Change: your opinions please

by RAYZORBLADE 40 Replies latest social family

• Hamas
    Hamas

MacLeod: has a nice ring to it

Yes, but It sounds to damn Scottish, and that is the last thing you want to be

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I changed my first name legally two years ago. To change my first name was relatively inexpensive - $125 CDN. I was born in Ontario and had the name change done in Manitoba.

Click here for the link to Vital Statistics Office in Ontario for information.

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/change_name.htm

There is a link at the top of the page for fees. Seems it will cost you $137 for the application plus a small fee for the new birth certificate. Once you have changed the birth certificate you will need to change every other piece of ID you have (driver's license, health card, credit cards, work, everything and that will add up because a lot of them want $$$ for new cards) Your SIN should be free - I just applied for mine and won't have to pay

In some places they will also require you to place an ad in the local newspaper notifying people of the name change (especially creditors). This is a requirement to prove you are not attempting to commit fraud.

Now I legally had the first name changed and got the new birth certificate and a month later I got married and changed the last name so I have a whole new identity (which is one of the reasons I don't worry too much about anyone here finding out who I am.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Alternatively you could use "de'blade"

Or "de Ant"

Dansk

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Go for it! Sounds like it's not that hard in Canada. When we got pregnant with Jennie, Big Tex and I had our last names legally changed. We wanted to start a new family with no history of abuse and that was a very definite and symbolic way to do it. All we had to do here in Texas was file a petition with the court (and we work for lawyers so we had plenty of help), sign an affidavit that we weren't doing it for nefarious reasons like skipping out on debts or obligations, and the judge signed the orders.

Just FYI, the last name had been Presley, and now it's Scott. I wasn't sorry to get rid of the Presley name -- I'd heard all the Elvis jokes already and was tired of my pharmacy calling me Priscilla. It truly ticked off Big Tex's family (he was the Last Male Presley in his family), which in my opinion was kind of a nice byproduct.

Nina

• Francois
    Francois

Does Clan MacLeod have a really sexy tartan?

Way back my clan was MacIntosh which has a "pretty good" tartan. The MacIntoshes where eventually subsumed into the Taril clan and over the years that evolved into the Terrell, or Tyrrell clan.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

There's your official MacLeod tartan! And here's your crest:

Plus a little family history:

Gaelic Name:
    Motto:
    Badge:
    Lands:
    Origin of Name:

Pipe Music:
    MacLeoid
    Hold fast
    Juniper
    Skye and Harris
    Gaelic, MacLeoid (Son of Leod, from Norse - Ljot, Ugly)
    MacLeod’s Praise

Descended from the Norse kings of Man and the North Isles, the clan of MacLeod comprised two main branches, the MacLeods of Skye and the MacLeods of Lewis. The MacLeods of Skye established the seat at Dunvegan, which remains the chief's seat to this day.

The full text for this Clan MacLeod is available on The Clans & Tartans of Scotland CD Rom. Click here for more information.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I was going to dig up the specifics, but Lady Lee beat me to it. Women change their name more often than men, 'tis true, but it is far less painful than a nose job.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Ray: Thunder thought about it alot but it would have been ackward for our children. I just try to think of it as this was his wonderful Grampy's name and it's not his fault his son is a monster ass****

I think this is really just a ploy to get included in a large part of Thunder Rider the Ascension ROFLMAO

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I thought about changing my last name for the longest time. I was going to change it to my step-fathers last name. In time though I came to think that instead of changing it, I would make the name proud again. I will, in time, redeem all the damage that my father caused to the name he passed on to me. Eremic Granell.

Good luck with you though, I completely understand your motives and you have my full support.

Kansas District Overbeer

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Everyone: Thank you for your suggestions and personal experiences.

Lady Lee, bless your heart, that's exactly what I needed. It makes it easy that I am residing in the province of my birth. I was born in southwestern Ontario (half way between Toronto and Detroit).

I will make sure I do this all legitimately and legally.

I will most certainly keep you all informed.

It's too bad my father's name is going to go; but it's a name, and it's not like there aren't a boat load of grandchildren using the name. I think they'll be shocked.....let them be....they'll contact me about that, if for nothing else. Speaks volumes doesn't it?

The MacLeod tartan my brother used for his kilt last year, was the bright yellow, black with the red line in it. I know that there are different tartans per clan. ie: MacLeod hunting, MacLeod dress, MacLeod etc. - but I do love the yellow/black/red the best.

SO...if and when I get to an apostafest (hopefully someday) it won't be just Little Toe or a few select others, they're be one more in a streak of yellow going by. No peeking.

Just as a side note. I would certainly keep record of my previous family name. I would not deny that my father was my father, it's just a very personal meaningful decision I feel I finally need to do.

Once again: thank you all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit