Surname Change: your opinions please

by RAYZORBLADE 40 Replies latest social family

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey folks.

I have been debating for some time about changing my surname.

As it stands, it's in its typical patriarchial form (my father's surname) and honestly, I'd like to change it to my mother's surname.

I would not deny that my father was my father, but I cannot say that he, or his family have been ever there for me. My memories of them, for the most part are awful.

My mother is no angel, nor is she perfect, but I do have some connection to that side, and my grandmother (maternal) is my number 1 support person in the family.

When I think back at family that were there for me during rough times, it was relatives on my Mom's side.

When my father died, myself and my brothers were the last to find out. If it wasn't for my father's sister's daughter, I would have found out perhaps, days later.

I live in Canada, and in the province of Ontario (I was born here, although I grew up Atlantic Canada). I am not certain as to how I go about doing this, but I have had it on my mind for ages now, and it's long overdue that I do something about it.

Suggestions? please feel free to offer any.

In a sense, I feel like in some ways, it's a recrudescence (new beginning) for me. My younger brother is considering it as well. I wonder if it'll start the ball rolling?

MacLeod: has a nice ring to it.

Have any of you done this? I don't need details, I respect privacy, but I'd like to know if anyone has gone through with this, and what their experiences, if any, were.

Many thanks in advance.

• dottie
    dottie

Ray...

I think it would be a nice way to honour your maternal side of the family. I too felt little connections with my dad growing up, but, we do now get along and I would much rather have his name than my ex's last name . IMO it's a terrific tribute to those who have supported you throughout your life.

Many Hugs To You!!

Dottie

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yep your new chosen name sounds cool. Alternatively you could use "de'blade"

Brummie

• Been there
    Been there

Ray,

MacLeod does have a nice ring to it. I think it is very easy and cheap to change your name. Go to the court house they can put you in the right direction. You could even hyphanate your name.

I've been looking for years for a friend I grew up with in Canada in the Freelton, Ont. congregation. Her name was Audrey MacLeod. I'm thinking her dad's name was John, she had older brothers named John, Russell ?, a younger brother named Skyler who died at 8 yrs. old. There were about 6 or 7 kids. Any relative of yours? It's hard to keep track of girls because they grow up and get married and change their names.

Been there

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hi Been There.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Been There. No one in my paternal or maternal side were JWs. The MacLeod family were mostly in Nova Scotia. I have no relatives in Freelton. Sorry.

I am going to speak with a friend of mine who did the same thing. He changed his name from his father's surname, to his maternal grandmother's family name (Finnish surname).

MacLeod, means: I get to wear a kilt - woohoo!

Hey Dottie, imagine that eh?

Hey Brummie, the De'Blade name would be OK, but it'd be mildly hilarious in family settings. LOL

Thanks for the feedback.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

... of the Clan McLeod... there can be only one!

Can you do the faux-orgasm bit with the lightning?

I've though about changing my surname for one of my middle names (Hawkins), as Hawkins is another family name and will die out if I don't (that branch of the family, not the entire name, obviously).

Or, you can choose a really cool surname; I knew a girl called Polly De'ath once, it's a real old surname. I also think Hotblack Desiato is a sublime name (an Estate Agent in Camden Town and a character in a Douglas Adams book). God is also a great choice; excuse me Mr. God...

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Abaddon wrote:

Can you do the faux-orgasm bit with the lightning?

Um...sort of, but I have to have all the lights turned out and someone has to light a match.

• berylblue
    berylblue

I have a friend who did just that...changed it from his no-account biological father's name to something which meant a great deal to him. I think he used something called the "common usage" law....you use it for seven years unofficially, then it becomes your real name or something. In California, anyway. Don't know what the laws are in Canada, but I'm sure you can find out. Perhaps do a Yahoo or Google search on legal name change?

I would like to change my given name, actually. I want to keep my last name as a tribute to my step-grandfather who never had children of his own.

Rosemarie

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Ray. Actually I like your last name...........Blade !

Would changing your last name prevent former friends and classmates from finding you though ! You know if someone was to use one of those "searching for a lost friend or classmate?" search engines, it would be next to impossible to match you up in a data base if you've changed your surname.

If you're serious about going ahead though, you could use the name " Smith ", and then we'd be brothers.

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Ray

As far as I know, you can change your name in Ontario without too much hassle. Once you adopt the use of the name of your choice, it is considered legitimate. This is assuming that the person making the change isn't doing it in order to conduct illegal activity.

I have a friend who changed his surname from his birth name (his biological father left when he was a small child and like your case, was never "there" for him) so when he was in his late 20s, decided to adopt the surname of his step-father, who was "there" for him. He and his wife were expecting, and he wanted to pass on a surname to his children that actually meant something to him, and would also mean something to them.

If you want to make it official, I believe there's a $200 fee involved.

As a side note, when you go through with the change, you can find the MacLeod tartan and have a really cool kilt made for special occasions. Kilts are a very good thing, IMO.

Love, Scully (who appreciates kilts a great deal)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit