30 years after leaving utterly unrecognisable

by Number 6 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Yep..thats the only song i remember

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I'm still going and can't recognize it. But we are in the last seconds of the last minute of the last part of the last days---dont buy any green bananas

• Deut18_20-22
    Deut18_20-22
    dont buy any green bananas

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Hi days of future passed

You said - That was back in the day before 1975 and people had a firm belief that soon, yes soon Armageddon would bring relief and the end of death.

And some in the audience already knew they had been conned by teachings that they'd see a resurrected King David come out onto the platform.

Some who knew they had been conned were very forgiving but they spoke out. Now your are definately not allowed to speak out otherwise you are making the congregation 'dirty' with the truth.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Hoops. its 2019 already. 2019- 1989 = 30 years. I LEFT Also 1989 with 24. CheersπŸ“£πŸŽΊπŸ˜‰πŸ₯‚

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I know exactly where the o/p is coming from . And the truth is that many of the older ones of the cong feel out of place in this slick JW world of videos , downloads and apps. The new songs sound alien. The much loved melodies of the past have been abandoned. If my family are anything to go by, they hang on in faith....hoping for a New World to put it right.

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

The songs now seem as though they were created to drive people out of the cult. I don’t know their just bad!

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

One older sister that I had been taking to the meetings just before I left, hated, hated the new songs. She was in poor health and kept saying the new world had better come soon. Well she died a few years after I left never seeing the new world...

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow no kidding it's changed.

I attended a memorial at a KH yesterday. I went solely because I'm reconnected with a relative who asked that I go, and I went to support them. I had just downloaded the .org app because I wanted to take a screen shot of the FAQ that said that JW's don't shun. I figured that little info would come in handy some day. I had no idea I'd be using that app to look up scriptures just a few days later sitting in a KH.

Oh my, the song. Terrible song writing. And it's so weird standing facing screens to read the words, I mean it just looks so culty.

It's a weird vibe. I can just see the expression on everybody's faces that were there...it's "man I hope this thing works out." TBH, I was so happy to see the sweet older sisters, I couldn't stop hugging them, remembering better times.

Then I left to be with the nonJW family and promptly had two vodka tonics.

• millie210
    millie210

I remember the green Bible and pink songbooks!

Wish I could say good times, but no.

I think they have made a big mistake getting rid of the old songs.

Songs evoke nostalgia and provide continuity from one generation to the next. Sometimes even *overlapping

*see what I did there?

When you think about Christmas songs, the wedding march, happy birthday song, etc, they all are simple and some of the words aren't even used much anymore but they are favorites because of the sentimental element.

JWs may have been trying to appear like a modern day religion but their beliefs never modernize and in giving up their "hymns" they have just lost ground on all fronts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit