Possible reason for cancellation of book study in homes.

by Amelia Ashton 45 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Reasons I have heard or thought of:

liability issues, both the pedo issues and the usual slip and fall risks

zoning , more and more municipalities have restrictions on home meetings because of parking, fire regulations, etc

lack of available homes, fewer quality homes being offered up, I know when they had one at my place it was a real aggravation.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Moving the book study to the Kingdom Halls because of high petro prices??? That was a ludicrous reason. Who do they think they were kidding??

If anything, the most of the rank and file were too lazy to walk a few blocks to their nearest house for a the book study. Then they were moving the book study even further away, to the kingdom halls. Then they call high petro prices, I'm sure many didn't believe it was because of high petro prices. Most, if not anyone, had to travel twice, if not three times as far to the kingdom hall as they would to someone's house for the book study.

• 4thgen
    4thgen
    So, since the gas prices are down, will they consider reinstating the home book study arrangement? Never. It was just a cover up. I had always heard that it was because of lack of control over the Dubs. People were more likely to talk of apostasy without constant observation. Remember how they always used to say that the bookstudy's were the most important meeting, as those were our core group for survival during the great trib? When they cancelled the bookstudy many of us were dismayed: Did this mean everything we were believing was wrong about the tribulation. Sure enough! No tribulation. They change was to cover the Wt's behind and of course, their $$$$
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Well said 4thgen!
  • Esse quam videri
  • notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Gas (petrol) prices? Don't remember that being the main reason.

Main reason was that simply people are busier...especially with work to provide for the family and for most of the developing lands, where the growth is and where the vast majority of JW's are, it meant they were busting their guts working AND going to two midweek meetings so they canned the book study.

That's what I remember as the main reason as to why the bookstudy got stopped.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury: when the magazines all went on donation basis only, that was due to taxation issues in France (I think). But the adjustment was global. Flag Dislike Like

"On 17 January 1990 the U.S. Supreme Court made a ruling that sales tax must be paid on religious literature. The following month, a letter from the Watchtower Society went out to all congregations stating that there would no longer be a set price for literature but that they would be given to the public on a donation basis. By way of reason the letter stated that "by adopting a method of literature distribution based completely on donation, Jehovah's people are able to greatly simplify our Bible education work and separate ourselves from those who commercialize religion." They also stated in one of their publications that "there are growing pressures against all religious elements" and that their main concern was to move ahead in the worldwide Kingdom preaching work, "without hindrance".[102] The Supreme Court ruling was not mentioned."

Nothing about France in there....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I copied it from FB it wasn't me. I figured if it was on FB then it was "out there" so ok to post here.

Sorry, I missed that. So somebody else decided to just whisper it on FB, figuring only a few people would notice. Hee Hee.

It does sound like them. Many urgent decisions are being made by lawyers now.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    While I think this third hand story is entirely fictional I wouldn't be surprised if the suggested motives of the Society actually turned out to be true. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the WT has failed to take a stance on something in order to protect itself financially (e.g. Mexico).
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I tend to believe what prologos said about their being afraid of "independent minded" comments in the bookstudies. After all, they also forbade, around the same time, the Witnesses against private meetings amongst themselves for bible studies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit