Possible reason for cancellation of book study in homes.

by Amelia Ashton 45 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

This was posted on FB.

So guys, I'm gonna share something with you all that I think you should know. I've only told two people about this (one being John Cedars) for fear of getting this guy into trouble, but it's very telling and will reaffirm your "TTATT faith!"

A couple of weeks ago, I had to have an "ability to protect" assessment by a gentleman from a company that also investigates child protection policies etc

I told him that I am an EXJW and he proceeded to tell me that a few years ago, he was hired by The Watchtower, Bible And Tract Society to carry out an assessment of their child protection policies, because the Charity Commission were going to remove their charitable status based on the growing number of child sex abuse cases, that were not being reported.

He said it was an eye opener for him. When he was in contact with the elders in bethel and their legal department, he was surprised at how delusional they were. He said they were condescending, pious and refused to believe that there was an issue with their "2 witness rule." This professional said that he and the charity commission, had a particular concern with the home book study arrangement, namely that Elders do not make families aware of paedofiles that waltz into their house and anything can happen to a child, in a home, under those dangerous circumstances.

He also told me that the elders would smile condescendingly at him, tut, shake their head and say, "you don't understand." He said that it was ridiculously difficult for him to get through to them.

When it became time to write his report, the legal department asked him to state that he has investigated and finds no issue with the book study arrangement and with their policies. This guy refused to say this because he felt it was a dishonest lie, he pointed out that they have changed NOTHING in their child sex abuse policy/protection policy and so unless they stop the group study arrangements, they will have their charitable status removed. So can you guess what happened?? Watchtower stopped the group study arrangement in every home and sacked the man that wouldn't lie for them.

I tried to tell my mother about this on Wednesday night and that is a whole extra post (which I will need some help for) but I will tell you all about that soon.

I hope and pray I do not get him/myself into trouble for sharing this information but I feel you all should know and are entitled to know. It just strengthens our case against them. I also wonder if the charity commission are aware that they still have field service arrangements in private homes? Perhaps they should stop that too!? Or have they already?

Most interesting I thought

• Listener
    Listener
    What country was this in?
  • Amelia Ashton
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    very feasible, if true could see the 2 remaining meetings held in KH's under threat , possible knock on effects as to why so many KH's are being sold, branches folding etc
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So let me get this straight- you fear getting this guy into trouble, so you told a guy who is big in blogs and youtube and then you posted it on this very public forum.

Somehow, I don't think keeping this guy out of trouble by just whispering it to two or three of us was such a concern.

But I will not pass it on.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton
    I copied it from FB it wasn't me. I figured if it was on FB then it was "out there" so ok to post here.
  • Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane
    That and the fact that an increasing number of small towns throughout the US are being subjected to zoning ordinances which require religious organizations to periodically purchase "Special Use Permits" if any kind of religious service is carried out in private homes of certain residential neighborhoods.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Nah, I still believe the Magnificent 7's explanation - it was to save us the cost of fuel for our car journey to the Book Study!!
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I cant see how problems with uk charity status would effect changes worldwide for JWs.

All previous changes have come via problems with USA tax status or legislation, so they make sense as they are where JWs are based.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Amelia:

Your story confirms something I heard from an elder back in 2010, except he described it as "eliminating exposure to liability" rather than preserving charitable status. Then again, I'm in the US & we don't have that charity hoopee-doo over here.

In either case, the "new arrangement" was made in response to the JW kiddie diddling problem and the lack of action from the bOrg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit