Just read this on JW Talk......

by WHATSGOINGON 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cognac
    cognac
    Doubting - I'm not sure. Don't they pay for Health Insurance? I would think that would at least double the cost for them.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

berrygerry:

You are absolutely right about feeling sorry for older JW women - because they have given up so much!

While certain JWs have had it all (and expect to do it again) these presumably single women are all waiting to actually LIVE and following that elusive carrot that is always out of their reach!

I saw this handwriting on the wall early on. This, among other things, is the reason I'm glad I'm OUT !!!

• sir82
    sir82

Does it really cost 1300 per month for a SP? I thought in the US they only got a 600 stipend.

$600 is the cash stipend. But throw in gasoline allowance, clothing allowance, health care, etc. (i think there are even other freebies they get), and it could well be $1300 per month.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I sensed an air of quiet but slowly building desperation amongst the R&F even back when I was still in, and I'm an 8-year-plus fader.

I've long suspected that the ones who express themselves the most (the way the posters in the linked thread have been) are the ones feeling that quiet desperation the most acutely. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a psychological mechanism used to shore up their confidence in the face of increasing evidence that undermines it.

• done4good
    done4good

Vidiot - I've long suspected that the ones who express themselves the most (the way the posters in the linked thread have been) are the ones feeling that quiet desperation the most acutely. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a psychological mechanism used to shore up their confidence in the face of increasing evidence that undermines it.

Yes. It is how they resolve their cognitive dissonance.

d4g

• steve2
    steve2

I agree with you Vidiot. There is an air of desperation coming through in the posts on JWTalk and a sense of disconnection from the immediate world where they live.

It's as if they're equating the dreariness of their lives with "evidence" the end must be near. When JWs talk about health issues, there's a disinterested helplessness in the conversation, as if they will not muster the personal responsibility to look after their health in the here and now.

As for the sister reading things into the brother who looked away from her - this is what religious nutters do in all religions all over the world - their leaders "know" more about what's coming up than the rank and file. Infantile spirituality.

Man, am I glad to be out of that deluded, simpleton environment.

• krejames
    krejames
    Wow, looking at that forum made me feel quite bad. Wish I hadn't. So sad :(
  • GodZoo
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

StarTrekAngel - "...It's as if they're equating the dreariness of their lives with 'evidence' the end must be near..."

Well, gosh, it couldn't possibly be because the JW lifestyle and worldview are dreary...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Don't they pay for Health Insurance? I would think that would at least double the cost for them.

Image result for now that's funny

WTS does not pay for health insurance for anyone. If a Bethelite (of little importance) becomes gravely ill (something beyond what their infirmary can handle), they are asked to leave Bethel and return home.

There is an annual "donation" (aka tithe) to pay for "health insurance" for traveling Bros (COs). However, my understanding, WT is "self-insured" and will send the CO/COW across the country if need be where they have negotiated favorable rates with a hospital or doctor.

I'm sure they likely seek out public benefits intended for the indigent and less fortunate.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit