JWs line up to have Gov. Body members autograph bibles.

by blownaway 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jws
    jws

The OP was about people asking GB members to sign bibles.

Sorry Morpheus, if you can't see the difference between signing a gift and being asked to sign a bible.

A little touchy, aren't we Morpheus? I'm sorry that things are so black-and-white for you. And that you think that there's no difference. It's nuance. It's intention. "Da GB member signed it! There's a name in cursive writing. It must be the same thing".

And you are insulted by the term right-winger? Your politics are right wing. Are you saying that being right wing is a bad thing? Odd since you seem to support a lot of right wing politics and people like Trump. Who said your use of the term "godless commie" had anything to do with religion?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

jws:

We are still waiting! You do understand the words: ( from Watchtower literature ) don't you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jws:

If it's an inscription, that is TOTALLY different

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you show us from Watchtower literature where there is a difference? The Watchtower describes Books and Bibles!

Atlantis!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Wasn't the name YHWH or YHVH inscribed and viewed just as important as a signature? The Watchtower Society would have us believe so.

Atlantis!

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

3 days into this, and still no evidence (photo or video) of JW's lining up to to get autographs of GB members on their Bibles or books.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ how could β€œgodless” be construed as anything other than religious? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

poor jws... lacks a basic understanding of his native language. A shame but when your a former member of a cult that discourages education this is what happens.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Atlantis - "...JW's were asking for autographs in their books and Bibles, and the Watchtower wanted it stopped. So they wrote an article to counsel JW's to stop this..."

Um... if the WT didn't actually want JWs to do this...

...why didn't the GB members who actually did the signing (actual high-ranking WT reps, remember) simply say "no" when asked?

• jws
    jws

Sorry morpheus, once again, you're displaying your mental limitations. I said "godless commie" was a thing a right-winger would say. YOU are the one that jumped into this big thing about how you worship Thor and about your religion. The point wasn't about religion. It's that "godless commie" sounds like a slur a right-winger would use. And the fact that you worship any god should show your reasoning capabilities. I guess when a cult discourages education, people like you are what happens.

• jws
    jws

Atlantis. The Watchtower doesn't have to explain the difference. One would assume people are smart enough to know the difference.

Doesn't the watchtower talk about ASKING GB members to sign their books? Asking, is to request somebody to do or give something. Go look it up in a dictionary.

The GB members were giving these books as gifts. Nowhere does it say the government officials asked "can you sign that bible"? People inscribe books. Maybe you're in a social group where people don't give a lot of books on paper, so you might be unfamiliar with the practice. Sometimes when people give a book as a gift, they write something in it and sign it. Something like, "To my darling niece, this was one of my favorite books when I was your age, I think you will find the lessons useful. Love, uncle John". Or to a friend, you might sign your full name.

One is somebody ASKING for the signature itself. As if that in and of itself is the thing of value. And it often is. Go into a sports memorabilia store and compare the cost of those tiny NFL helmets to the cost of one signed by a player. This is a form of hero worship. That you want some connection to that person, be it their signature, an article of clothing, whatever. And sometimes that signature is proof to others that you were in the presence of this person you deify.

And inscription is somebody writing a note. We don't know that these Cuban government officials wanted their bibles signed. We don't know that they gave any significance whatsoever to the GB members that they'd WANT the signature of one of those. That is NOT hero worship.

If you and morpheus only want to look at the fact that both contained signatures and make it equivalent, that's on you. Black or white, context never matters. That's on you. I can't force your mind to see the difference.

Same with vidiot. Who says the GB members were asked? Maybe they were asked and they did sign them anyway. But we don't know that. If it's their own advice that people shouldn't ask for GB members to sign books, then maybe, just maybe, that IS their stance. So it's possible they weren't asked. Only that they signed the gift. Perhaps with well wishes. Perhaps quoting or citing a scripture. The government officials ASKING is the key. ASKING is the offense of hero worship. And we simply do not know whether there was any ASKING. I do not see any evidence of that.

The fact that you see them signing books, does not mean there was any asking. Or that the Cuban officials were even there when they did this. For all we know, they were inscribing the gift bibles to give to them later.

Don't most people who give a gift often let people know who's giving it to them? Every birthday party I've ever gone to, most of the gifts have either a card or something attached to the gift that say who it's from. It might be a sticker on the wrapping that gets thrown away. Nobody's saving the to/from sticker because it's an "autograph". Because books are paper, people often write that stuff inside the book.

We don't know. All we see is them signing books. We don't know if any hero worship went on. Which is what the OP is about.

This is the logic part of it. What do we do know and what don't we know? And try not to assume. We see that the watchtower says (paraphrasing) don't ask GB members to sign your books. We see gb members signing books that it says are gifts for Cuban officials. Noplace does it say a GB should never sign a book. The ONLY thing it's saying is that people shouldn't ask. Were the GB members in the photo asked to sign the books? Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know if any asking went on.

It's like those logic puzzles they sell with little factoids and you have to use them all to build a solution. You need to know what facts you know. There is not enough evidence to say the GB was responding to requests to sign bibles. There just isn't. Maybe they were. But, as they say, this evidence wouldn't hold up in a court of law.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I know nuance isnt your thing so i’ll share the relevant picture in a way that makes it easy even for you to understand... although frankly i suspect im overestimating you...

Call it whatever you want but they signed their names for people they dont know.

Autograph.

Godless commie sons of bitchs who jailed their cult members and have no respect for what they believe. Sell outs of the highest order.

• jws
    jws

Exactly what drearyweather said. Where's the photo evidence? These days, almost everybody has a camera phone on them. If you're that psyched to have a GB member sign your bible, you probably also snapped a few pictures of these people at the time. And there'd probably be some pictures of a line or GB members signing books. You probably don't ONLY wait to ask somebody to take a picture with you and the GB member together. You probably took pictures from the line too. I see it all the time when somebody famous is around. People are taking cell phone pics.

I once saw Peter Mayhew (aka Chewbacca) at Disney's MGM studios. He was there to sign autographs. I've never met him, but we have a mutual friend. And I decided to snap a picture to send to said mutual friend "look who I saw". And sure enough, there's a line of people and he's sitting at a table with a marker in hand. It's clear what he's doing and it's clear there's people lined up. And it's clear what they're lined up for and what their intent is.

Surely if something like this were happening, somebody would have some pictures. OK, maybe they exist, but all the people that have them are super-JWs and aren't on this board. And didn't text, email, or post them so that people on this board might see them. But, some of you are going to conventions in a few months and these GB members sometimes show up. See what happens. See if you can find an autograph line and snap a picture. Extra points if the GB member is wearing skinny jeans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit