JWs line up to have Gov. Body members autograph bibles.

by blownaway 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blownaway
    blownaway

I have never been to Bethel but I had year after year seen how some would gush over a CO or DO who came to visit. In some cases almost fighting who would host them for dinner.

• steve2
    steve2

So far, no actual evidence that JWs ask GB to sign Bibles. Photo opportunities, yes. BTW, a hunch is not evidence nor is thinking some may have approached the GB to have the Bible signed.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

joe134cd:

Yes, that flag stuff has been going on for quite some time. Here is a
    pic around the 1940s of a meeting and right next to the public speaker
    is the American Flag.

Kingdom Announcers ad in the background. To the left of the speaker
    chairs and table for talk demonstrations.

Click twice for large image.

https://postimg.org/image/5g8gq9ut7/

Atlantis!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

steve2:

So far, no actual evidence that JWs ask GB to sign Bibles.

and

So far no actual evidence that JWs haven't asked GB to sign Bibles!

Atlantis!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

So far we have evidence that they signed bibles for the godless commies in cuba. The evidence came from their own publications. They bragged about it.

Im a HUGE proponent of being accurate with criticisms of the org. They signed bibles. Its a fact.

• steve2
    steve2

Fair enough Atlantis. But the onus - so to speak - rests on the party making the claim that the GB members have signed Bibles for rank and file JWs.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Nearly every convention I attended as a youth would have an American flag hanging up somewhere and no one paid any attention to it. Not a big deal.

• carla
    carla

Odd they don't show any 'government officials' in the pic. I find it appalling that anyone would autograph a Bible. It is one thing to give one with a note 'To Joey, with love, Mom' and quite another for a governing body member to 'sign' one. Though they have changed the Bible considerably almost unrecognizable in some parts so maybe they do feel they are the 'author' of the Bible and are justifiable in signing them like any author would do at a book signing.

• steve2
    steve2

Signing of books has traditionally been done by authors - not those who distribute them.

On the other hand, including a brief signed message from the giver to the intended recipient of the book is a nice personal touch. My JW mother gave me a lovely book about a young boy who grew up on a remote farm in our country and she put some wonderful words to me on the inside cover that I will always treasure.

But the signing of a Bible is another story altogether--- it just seems hubristic.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Gift Bibles often have a page to write a personal message from the giver. Like the kids at a Sunday School class will all get a gift Bible at the end of the program. The pastor or Sunday School teacher might sign it after writing their message. But the GB signing Bibles as if it makes the book 'special' seems to have a different intent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit