Could the JW's survive without elders?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Yes, that's always an issue. The guy I know that turned it down had real serious family responsibilites with a wife who was ill and his response was accepted an even admired by some, but that wouldn't always be the case.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Lady Lee,

Did you "reach out" or were you seeking responsibility. Many here have said no.
    I can understand that. I know a lot of men who stayed just a shade the wrong side of being considered for responsibility. It might have been work or not enough hours in service or not taking the lead. Some out-right refuse when offered.

They may not have 'reached out' for responsibility, but would they have refused it if offered, this surely is the crux of the matter. I wish to hear from those who were offered congregational responsibilities and refused to accpet them. This group seem to be few and far between and all we seem to have are those who say they did not want appointments, but who may not even have qualified. and who now *say* that this was a deliberate action on their part. This defies decades of my own expereince in a wide variety of congregations.

I know of very few who deliberately manipulated their lives to avoid congregational responsibilities, though I know many who would not have qualified among that group. As to the outright refusals, even less. As I have said, I have known many active JW's who *said* that they did not want responsibilities, but who were never offered them for reasons that Danny outlines above. I have also known many, if not most XJW's who now claim that they did not want these responsibilities and sought to avoid them. For the one who *says* that he turned down the appointment, thousands exist who did not shy away from the titles, yet is seems that very few XJW's for example fall into the latter category. I am suggesting that this does not seem to fit the ratio of reality, but is more in keeping with the human inclination for wishful thinking.

Perhaps I am incorrect in my view, if so I would be very pleased to hear arguments from those who refused appointments, or those who were in a position to qualify for such titles, and manipulated their lives so that they were never asked.

HS

• minimus
    minimus

The structure to be a "brother" within the organization makes it nearly impossible to refuse a "privilege". If you were a believing "brother", you understood that you must reach out. NO ONE wants to be looked down upon within the group. If someone is asked if they would accept the "privilege" to mow the lawn or give an impromptu talk, it is understood within the group that this is a requirement...........As far as the elder arrangement, it is needed to shield the Watchtower Society from impending lawsuits.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    The MS, or elder at this moment was in a position to refuse the appointment. I have only known of one case in my own expereience when this actually happened. To pretend after the event that 'humph, I never wanted to be an MS" etc.' is patently dishonest.

HS, I can see what your saying now, yes I agree, those that said "humph" would have been given the opprtunity to turn down the role beforehand. I got it! They were being dishonest.

On the other hand turning "appointments" down doesnt come without repercussions, one is made to feel guilty for turning away Jehovahs blessings. I remember when I was asked to take part in a demonstration from the platform and talk about the blessings of pioneering, I turned it down because I didnt want to be held up as an example to the youth and the atmosphere was ice for quite a while after. One learns quickly not to turn things down so I can understand why some would go along with the flow even though they didnt want the role.

Brummie

• Jayson
    Jayson

Well I have not been a witness but it's not to hard to see that there will always be those looking for places to have power over people (leaders) and there will always be those looking to be lead and not have to take resposibilty for their own life. Sad but true.

A question to the thread question. "I'm sure that Witnesses like anyone could survive without elders. But, could elders survive without WT's. What would happen to those who are compelled to control if no one will surender their will?" Would they explode like that guy off of "Big Trouble Little China?"

• Undecided
    Undecided

I really can't remember seeking positions in the congregation, it just seemed I was available, had the history of a good JW and there wasn't anyone else with the qualifications to do the job.

But I did quit my job to pioneer once so I guess I was trying to be a good witness, it lasted less than a year and I went back to my old job. Thank God for that since I retained my retirement pay and continuous service record by going back within a year. That was about 30 years before a I retired.

Ken P.

• berylblue
    berylblue
    neddist of flanders

Exxxxxxxxx-cellent, Simon

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

This question came up too with : Do elders feel trapped once appointed?

I've said then:
    "It demands on the question how important you feel when you are appointed I think. When there is nothing else in life to be important in....."

but I am sure that it is very difficult, if not nearly impossible to refuse an appointment when given to you. (if you are a good and honest JW ofcourse)

• aunthill
    aunthill

Dubs couldn't survive without elders to tell them how long to wear their skirts, cut their hair, tell them no beard/mustache, ad infinitum... IMO, if they didn't have elders they might think for themselves, and then they would leave the bOrg!

Aunthill

• JeffT
    JeffT

I never got past running mike's or reading at the bookstudy or watchtower study. My first few years in I was real zealous, temporary pioneered etc. Then I got married, had kids and mostly had better things to do than go out in field service. I was always being told that I needed to get more hours in, that I'd never advance if I didn't do more. I know I was thought of as not a strong witness. In retrospect I'd say that the dubious rewards of moving up the food chain, didn't seem to me to be worth the crap I'd have to swim through do get there. And I'm sure they're all saying now that I never was a good Witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit