Could the JW's survive without elders?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

What would happen if no one wanted to be an elder? Who would teach the congregation? Who would manage everything in the congregation?

Do you think that there could one day be a lack of elders just like the catholics lack priest?

• JH
    JH

If every witness was a JH, the organization would be dead, cause I never wanted any permanent responsibilities there.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

JH,

If every witness was a JH, the organization would be dead, cause I never wanted any permanent responsibilities there.

Trying to find an XJW who actually wanted 'responsibilities' within the WTS is like trying to find a German who will admit to having fought on the Western Front. Invariably they claim the less, at least in their own minds’, denounced Eastern Front as their war experience. I just do not buy into the ‘I did not want an appointment’ scenario that many claim, it just does not reflect the reality and smacks of a closet dishonesty.

It rather reminds me of the noisy teenager in a pub who finally draws attention from the landlord and is then then physically ejected out of the front door. The youth then shouts through the window, "I was leaving anyway".

In my many years as an elder, I actually came across two JW’s who truly did not want ‘responsibilities’ within the Congregation, though I met many who claimed they did not. The reasons for this are obvious, if a person is overlooked for an appointment, rather than accept this as a personal failure ( within the WTS system ), it is far easier to rationalize away the disappointment with the phrase, "I don’t want to be an MS, elder etc". etc. I personally know very few men who would have refused such appointments if they were offered. Everybody who was ever asked to handle microphones, magazines, take the Field Service Group etc. while not appointed, needs to ask themselves how they honestly felt about it.

I was happy to accept appointments as an MS, elder, Pioneer, Special Pioneer etc., because I was convinced that by doing so I would be pleasing God and helping my Brothers and helping myself. Of course the reality is rather different. I did not strive for appointment, as I viewed ‘ambition’ and ‘career’ as opposing the spirit of Christianity, but I did not refuse an appointment, or responsibility if I was asked.

At least I am honest! - HS

• JH
    JH
    In my many years as an elder, I actually came across two JW’s who truly did not want ‘responsibilities’ within the Congregation

In all honesty I knew many, and I wasn't an elder.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I have to agree with Hillary.

I am sure there were/are a few number of JW women who would step up to the plate if asked, just as in the Catholic church. I think the Catholics are having a hard time due to the no-marriage policy. Just too hard to be a priest without sex.

As for the men in the JW org, my observation was that to be chosen as a MS or elder was a great honor. Who would not want the honor? Even with the responsibility you are still treated better. Again, how many people can really say they did not want to be treated better?

No organization can survive without leaders. Whether they be appointed by a body in Brooklyn or locally, someone has to lead the group. From Weight Watchers to Boy Scouts, someone is in charge. There will always be *elder* types in a religious org. How else would it survive?

Someone has to tell the sheeple to what to think and when to think it.

• JH
    JH
    to be chosen as a MS or elder was a great honor. Who would not want the honor? Even with the responsibility you are still treated better.

That honor had a permanent string attached to it. Many didn't know what they were getting into when they accepted to be an elder or a ministerial servant. Some were wise and could see clear.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    I just do not buy into the ‘I did not want an appointment’ scenario that many claim, it just does not reflect the reality and smacks of a closet dishonesty.

I disagree HS, many of us were not zealously reaching out for position within the org, it was just a natural progression, there was no other way to go and it was installed into us that going in that direction was just the way life was. It wasnt a matter of reaching out with any heartfelt ambition, it was circumstance. I know I went up to brothers and congratulated them on appointments and they would say "humph, I never wanted to be an MS" etc. We were just moved along in that direction, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

Brummie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have just started reading Ture Believer. He comments that many of the men in these groups are not all that successful or don't feel it in their outside lives. The group and especialy responsibility within the group is one of the few ways that men can gain any "status". I know my ex fits this perfectly While he wasn't an eager beaver he certainly lapped up the spotlight when he had it.

I think the WTS will always have people like him willing to take on the responsibility and not see the load they are taking on. They will consider it an honor because it is the only "honor" they get

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

I disagree HS, many of us were not zealously reaching out for position within the org, it was just a natural progression, there was no other way to go and it was installed into us that going in that direction was just the way life was. It wasnt a matter of reaching out with any heartfelt ambition, it was circumstance. I know I went up to brothers and congratulated them on appointments and they would say "humph, I never wanted to be an MS" etc. We were just moved along in that direction, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

This is an example of the dishonesty that I am speaking of. Before a JW was appointed as an elder or MS, he was was approached by a two elders who would tell him that an appointment had come back marked as agreed by the Branch. The MS, or elder at this moment was in a position to refuse the appointment. I have only known of one case in my own expereience when this actually happened. To pretend after the event that 'humph, I never wanted to be an MS" etc.' is patently dishonest.

My post was also directed to many of the XJW's who were never appointed to position's of responsibility and now pretend that the reason for this is that they chose not to be. I smell a rat with this scenario.

Best regards - HS

• Francois
    Francois

Hillary, you funny. And way off track. I know lots of folk who didn't want any "responsibilities" in the congregation, and I'm one of 'em. I had better sense after living with my uncle, super-elder while I was in college.

The people here who observe that the WT uses you up, sucks you dry, and discards you are right, you be wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit