US violent crimes and murders rose in 2016, the FBI says

by Simon 52 Replies latest social current

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

How do I explain an increase in violent crime?

I can already hear it: "Sign of the Last Days"?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The article mentions a quote from a speech in which in which things like "undermined confidence in the police" (in effect) and the city's "policies on undocumented immigrants" are cited as reasons. It doesn't spell out BLM specifically but it's an easy conclusion to draw.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

-- Mental / emotional disorders - is this a factor in the increase in crime?

Are people who have mental disorders more likely to commit murder and violent crime?

How would all the peaceful, law-abiding people with mental/emotional disorders feel about this point?

• Simon
    Simon

Do people really think that the number of mentally deranged people has suddenly shot up and even account for a fraction of the increase in violence? The mentally ill are often scape-goated for anything and everything from terrorism down and it's unjustified. The times they do kill it's often mass-shootings, not the general increase in crime (and even then "mentally ill" is used as a legal defence).

Based on what? I see no link, no studies, no nothing, drawing a line between BLM and increased crime.
    I'm not defending them, I'm just pointing out that the conclusion does not follow from anything shown on this thread, aside from "here's what I think".
    Which is fine, it's wonderful to have opinions & express them, there's just simply no evidence for the conclusion.

Yes, we all post opinions most of the time - that's the point. But this was based on actual figures and an attempt to come up with an explanation. I think mine is way more believable than the ones you came up with.

I think I draw a conclusion based on the facts and it's also one that was predicted to happen based on what was happening at the time. Not everyone is asleep at the wheel of life, some of us like to look around and figure out what's going on instead of waiting for CNN to give us a convenient politicised version of it.

You either believe the media / BLM story that police are the biggest threat to black people or you accept the facts. If you want to believe the former and deny reality then you are welcome to, but those of us who actually want to have *fewer* people dying in violence need to be able to debate what the cause is otherwise things might just get worse.

I know some want to believe that everything was perfect and then Trump happened, but I think more of this issue is down to Obama.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

How about solar activity as in solar flares and sun spots? Could such an increase be correlated with these happenings?

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/how-solar-flares-affect-human-health-our-mind-and-body/

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The biggest threat to young black men is other young black men. They have come to have a culture of gangs, celebrate it. The police have an attitude too, you can't get around that. BUT if there is a bulletin for a robbery suspect describing a black male, who are they supposed to stop? And don't tell me that a lot of robberies are not by black males, it is part of their "heritage" now. They feel somehow the rest of us owe them. Who labels well behaved blacks (and there are a lot) as uncle toms or "acting white"? You can see the same thing in the hispanics, the new generations have lost the old reverence for their elders.

• LV101
    LV101

I'm not at all surprised re/increase considering the leadership of this country past yrs. No respect for police whose lives are on the line daily - I'm not condoning the bad cops! What they endure is unreal.

• Simon
    Simon

More easy-to-predict outcomes bearing fruit:

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/574824963/baltimore-residents-blame-record-high-murder-rate-on-lower-police-presence

I found this comment particularly interesting:

On whether the community wanted police to back off after the death of Freddie Gray
    No. That represented our progressives, our activists, our liberal journalists, our politicians, but it did not represent the overall community. Because we know for a fact that around the time Freddie Gray was killed, we start to see homicides increase. We had five homicides in that neighborhood while we were protesting.

I've thought this for a while. The people demonstrating, rioting and looting are NOT the community and don't represent the community, they often are the people that the community need protection from.

But there's mounting evidence that on a whole slew of issues, the MSM won't present an honest view of a situation but instead promote their own political ideology and propaganda - usually based on extreme leftist regressive liberalism.

Living in a black community seemed to become considerably worse under Obama then the Democrats also sell the "cure" - voting for them.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One must remember though that Obama inherited the economic crash of 2008 which made it even worse for communities that already had problems in mostly black populated communities..

Obama tried to stimulate the economy or create jobs by building up and improving the country's failing infrastructure but was blocked by the Republicans in Congress.

So who really hurt the low income black communities wrought with crime ?

Obama was a community low income supporter/organizer in Chicago and was sensitive to impoverished communities and the crime that resulted out that economic impoverishment.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    The fact is, as it always has been, that the police are not the biggest threat to the black community as some like to make out.

Yes, but the police threaten black criminals making it harder for them to commit crimes, and that is why they make it out that way, that the police are a threat to blacks, and if they get caught by the police then BLM. ( No justification for abuse by the criminal justice system towards blacks or anybody else ) The biggest threat to blacks in poor, drug infested neighborhoods where cops patrol are black criminals.

rioting and looting

You shouda seen the blackout in NYC back in the late 70s. The only reason for it was the power outage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit