Told My Parents Yesterday That I Don't Want to Be a JW

by Saethydd 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I made the decision to tell my parents how I really feel, but I was prepared for the worst, fortunately, it didn't come to that. After I told them I didn't want to go to the meetings anymore it led to a long talk with them. They made a number of irksome and woefully uninformed statements but at least they were not aggressive and have said that they won't force me to move out over this, though, I can tell they are hoping they can convince me to "accept the Truth," as long as I still live with them. As far as I can tell they will still shun me as soon as I leave their home, but at least now I have more time to prepare for that eventuality and no longer feel as if I have to hide the fact that I have been making "worldly" friends.

They seem to think that my desire to leave is simply because I have "hurt feelings over being disfellowshipped," and that I "lack the humility to accept discipline," so I've clearly made no headway in convincing them that this is an informed decision, but ah well, at least I don't have to feel like I'm living a lie anymore.

I think the thing we discussed which I find most pitiable is that they feel if God doesn't exist then our lives are completely meaningless, my father actually said that "If Jehovah doesn't exist one may as well shoot them self in the head." That kind of statement implies that they don't believe that raising children, finding love, being a good person, or trying to make the world a better place have any value in and of themselves. That if one can't exist forever then they may as well not exist at all. Personally, I think that is why they are so unwilling to accept any evidence that their religion is wrong because they are afraid to. If God is not real then from their point of view their life has no purpose at all.

Anyway, I just thought I would let anyone who was interested in my story know how things have worked out so far.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Saethydd:

WIshing you the best possible outcome.

We were such parents 30 years ago, until we woke up. Not re: TTATT, but that we would lose our child. It went against the "wisdom" meted out by The Society, but we, Mom and Dad, said you don't have to be a JW, just obey the house rules.

This newly liberated teenager became obedient and lost the rebel attitude. To this day our kid is kind, generous, and forgiving. Just never believed in the religion and we said okay.

Please hang in there.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

First, congratulation on being honest with your parents. Second, if you want to have any chance of keeping a relationship with your parents, I would suggest living there as long as you can and "preach" by your actions. If you truly believe that "finding love, being a good person, trying to make the world a better place", than your actions will show and certainly, this will have an impact on your parents.

For me, I simply tell them that in the end, if I stand in judgement before God, should he turn out to be there and do that sort of thing, i will be proud to stand tall and say: I was a good man.

God is supposed to destroy the wicked. So, you may challenge your parents to tell you what makes you wicked.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"They seem to think that my desire to leave is simply because I have "hurt feelings over being disfellowshipped," and that I "lack the humility to accept discipline," so I've clearly made no headway in convincing them that this is an informed decision, but ah well, at least I don't have to feel like I'm living a lie anymore."

They all use this one! Makes you want to scream! What they are saying is "it's your fault." It is the JW way. Tell them, "what kind of loving organization kicks their members to the curb?" The world doesn't even do this to you when you need help.

I'm glad you had the guts to do this. You spoke your mind and that is great. It hurts but you stood your ground.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I am proud of you! Wow. You stood up for yourself against your parents and their man made up religion.

That is no little fete!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

As far as I can tell they will still shun me as soon as I leave their home,

Image result for par for the course

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

There was a young man in my congo many years ago. He was normal and fell in love. He was an unbaptized publisher so they announced to his mother's horror that her son was no longer a JDub in good standing, since he had felt the desire, to make love to the woman that would be his wife. He got married and joined the military. He had 6 children. He has 6 grandchildren. His house is paid for. He has put money away for a good retirement. He has traveled. All six (6) of his children went to college. He enjoys sports. He still works, at a job he loves. He told me recently that his parents religion never made sense to him, so he had to let it go and get on with his life.

He has lived...

You have no idea what a wonderful gift you have given yourself by waking up early to WT lies.

You will have your whole life ahead of you without being micromanaged and controlled by JW..org.

Congratulations! Hopefully, in time, your parents will wake up too.

Hugs

• longgone
    longgone

Yes! 🌟 So proud of you! You were able to have a reasonable conversation with your parents. Seems you were respectful and made some valid points since things worked out in your favor for the time being at least. Enjoy your new freedom to begin the life of your dreams! 🌟

• shadow
    shadow

Your parents are right about life having no purpose without God.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Life has the purpose you give it. If that means believing in a fairy tale because you can't give it meaning shadow, I pity you. A kid, this kid, the OP, is more mature than you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit