Has anyone got a good recipe for curry, for a curry novice?

by Diogenesister 11 Replies latest social family

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Hi all! I really enjoy cooking but one thing I've never mastered is curry. I've tried a few online recipes but they haven't turned out too well. There's nothing better than a tried and tested, handed down ( or over!) recipe from family and friends so I wondered if any of my talented friends on jwdotnet have a good recipe for a curry novice?๐Ÿ˜€

Many thanks, Dio x

• Listener
    Listener

I love curry also and having travelled to a few Asian countries it is overwhelming how many different curry variations there are.

For instance, the Thais use a lot of coconut cream/milk in theirs and it is one of my favourites when cooking at home. The Malaysians use a fish sauce/dried fish in their base and it makes for a strong aftertaste. The Chinese use a lot of whole dried Chilli. Then, of course, is the ever popular Indian curries. You just have to look at an Indian menu to see a lot of variations.

Whatever recipe you have, it's all about getting your flavour balance right. You need to taste the food as you're cooking. Whatever recipe you are using I've learnt that there is often one important ingredient that needs to be added and that is sugar. It tends to break down any slightly bitter or sour taste and brings the whole dish together. It doesn't need much, maybe a spoon or less. The ideal sugar is palm sugar but soft brown sugar is also good.

We are spoilt for choice in our supermarkets today. Forty years ago, the staple was Keens curry powder. One of our favourites was curried sausages and even my kids could polish off a whole pot full even though they disliked curries in general.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ooo thank you Listener for that tip !! It's things like this that make all the difference! Many online recipies miss out these important details, and I believe cooking is all about the details.

I will see if Deliah has any curry recipies as I've found her recipies almost always work very well.

Cheers!

• Listener
    Listener

Deliah Smith, an English cook. She is my absolute favorite cooking instructor. She is very detailed, gives excellent advice and is so easy to follow.

She was never featured much on Australian Television as far as I am aware but I've been able to watch her online.

• humbled
    humbled

Watching this space for recipe. I havenโ€™t a clue how to make the magic

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ha ha, yes. Did you know she is also chairman of a soccer club, too? Woman of many talents!

She got a bit of criticism when She taught people to boil an egg, but way before YouTube she wanted to get back to basics in cooking, as some people would continue making rookie mistakes and she wanted to help.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

This is the recipe that I use. I vary it slightly by cooking a whole leg or shoulder of lamb immersed in the curry then de-boning it and returning the meat into the pot. It takes a couple of hours. The bone adds a lot of flavour during cooking. I also stick in random vegetables such as peas, carrots or brocolli.https: www.delicious.com.au/recipes/lamb-potato-curry/aa51138e-0d56-4c2e-8b8b-88acc38e347f

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Watching this space for recipe. I havenโ€™t a clue how to make the magic -

Yep, me too!

I haven't got a clue how to make a good curry ... but I enjoy eating them.

I'm pretty good at simple stuff - salads and frying steaks/venison burgers/etc., stuff like that. XD

• Perry
    Perry

Indian clients once gave me some fresh curry leaves. Wow! I then purchased a curry plant. They are very hard to find in Texas as they are illegal to ship. Anyway, the curry plant is different than curry powder sold at grocery stores; which, I'm told is actually a blend of spices.

So, far I've only used the leaves in place of parsley and basil. It will make a fantastic soup when added in place of parsley. I love the earthy, organic flavor. The flavor is very different than curry powder.

Just my .02

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Perry Oooo never heard of the curry plant...wonder what the Latin name is, perhaps I could track it down!

Snugglebunny Thank you I will try this next Sunday for a change to roast, lovely ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit