Repressed, Triggered and Recovered Memories

by Big Tex 98 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow! Thanks Lee, for going to the trouble of digging this old thread up. So many folks that used to be here and are now gone. I hope they're doing well now. So much time has passed. It's hard to believe really.

The False Memory Syndrome folks have done a helluva job discrediting repressed memories. That's a real shame. They are real. I may be crazy, I may be stupid but I ain't a liar. I know what I lived through. I don't pretend that everything I remembered is 100% accurate but after interviewing friends and family from my childhood I know with 100% certainty that something happened to me. At the end of the day, that's really what matters.

At least in my poor view.

Chris

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

<marking for later>

Chris - looks like this is a definite keeper in your journal. MUCH work and healing. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle it for us and thanks to Lee for resurrecting it.

-Denise.

• rebel8
    rebel8

The False Memory Syndrome folks have done a helluva job discrediting repressed memories. That's a real shame. They are real. I may be crazy, I may be stupid but I ain't a liar. I know what I lived through. I don't pretend that everything I remembered is 100% accurate but after interviewing friends and family from my childhood I know with 100% certainty that something happened to me. At the end of the day, that's really what matters.

((Chris)) What a horrid, horrid experience you had. I can't imagine.

Having counseled many people who had repressed memories, I can offer my professional opinion that they indeed can be true.

We may wish these sorts of things are lies, but wishing doesn't make it so.

Who's done it a real injustice is the therapists who validate untruths and goad sick people into making up more stories. There are certain psychiatric conditions, known as personality disorders, which are (often, not always) characterized by making false claims for attention. It does them an injustice to encourage sick behavior and it does the people with real repressed memories an even greater injustice. These therapists should be losing their licenses--they're doing it to advance their careers. All around sick, sick, sick.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

((Chris))

Just as hard for me to be calm reading this as it was 5 years ago. Memories are tricky things, some minor details get lost, but the memory of something happening can't be ignored. (know this from experience)

• verystupid77
    verystupid77

When we were frist married I would wake up every night screaming and screamin about being traped in my parents home and my dad was always in those dream trying to kill me or trap me in my childhood home. I never have known what they ment and finally the dreams stopped and now I only have them evey couple of months. But I know they mean something. Thank sharing you story.

PS I have depression so bad it is unreal. I have had for my whole life but I truly do not know why. Funny is it not that you can be so depressed in Jehovah's loving care.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Who's done it a real injustice is the therapists who validate untruths and goad sick people into making up more stories. There are certain psychiatric conditions, known as personality disorders, which are (often, not always) characterized by making false claims for attention. It does them an injustice to encourage sick behavior and it does the people with real repressed memories an even greater injustice. These therapists should be losing their licenses--they're doing it to advance their careers.

I've read about this, and I did see one therapist who was really pushing me to say and "remember" events and people that I did not. She also labled me an alcoholic not because I drank or had a drinking problem, but because my parents were alcoholic and, according to her, alcoholism travels 3 generations so my children once they were born would automatically be alcholics as well. I ditched her after about 6 months.

In searching for a good therapist, I discovered more screwed up people.

Chris

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

PS I have depression so bad it is unreal. I have had for my whole life but I truly do not know why. Funny is it not that you can be so depressed in Jehovah's loving care.

77 I'm sorry to hear this. If you don't mind me asking, have you seen a psychologist or psychiatrist? Depression can be a physical problem as well as a situational one. Why do you think the nightmares stopped?

Chris

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Wow, what a thread. First off, thanks Big Tex, for sharing your experience with all this--what courage you have.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about so-called repressed memories. The reason for this is that as I was growing up, from when I was about 10 yrs old to about 17, both my older sister and my mother went through years-long episodes of recovering their repressed memories and also all the sudden having multiple personalities. My adolescense was spent not knowing who I was going to come home to; my mother, or one of her teenage personalities who had a crush on my brother. Or, my sisters, or one of her hundreds of personalities (or so she explained to me), like a six year old girl who would cry and throw tantrums if she didn't get her way.

Those were hard times for me, for all (of course, not the kind of "hard times" BT spoke of!). One time my mother made the whole family sit around the TV set and watch some sort of video to impress upon us that all this was real (i didn't need convincing), and as an eleven year old kid I had to watch and listen grown women re-experience their memories of being raped as children. To this day, I don't think that was necessary. I was too young for that kind of thing. But anyway, what made me have "mixed feelings" about the experiences and memories of my mother and sister was the fact that all the sudden, in the space of a few months, they were both "integrated" and that was that. I found it hard to believe that all these personalities--people who I eventually came to know as REAL people--were just gone, and now they were Ok. Incidentally, there were several other women in the local congregation that went through the exact same thing. They all came down with MPD (as they used to call it), and then in a few years they were "cured." I didn't know what to think of it then, and I don't know what to think of it now. Nowadays, you never hear of someone with MPD. It's almost as if, as the psychological theories and diagnoses change, the ways in which histories of abuse manifest themselves in people also change.

I went through some interesting things during those times. I learned how to "disassociate"; since my mother and sister explained to me how it worked, and the theory that when something bad happens you disassociate, and that's why the memory is "locked away" for a time. Well, since i found living with hundreds of different personalities a little trialsome, I appropriated this disassociative behavior to my benefit. Well, now I have all these gaps of time and events it's a little hard tp piece things together. I don't know which memories have just sort of crumbled away "naturally," and which ones are in reality warped. Discerning the difference is very hard.

I've since applied this attempt at discernment to other, earlier memories. For instance, every summer me and my brother would go visit my dad, who has a family of his own. So we had two step-brothers. Well, one of my step-brothers was this obnoxious, mind-in-the-gutter type, and always kind of irritated me (incidentally, he was removed as a publisher for smoking pot when he was about 15). My dad had a trailer sitting in the car port and my step-brother thought it would be fun to sleep overnight in it. So we go out there (I was about 8 or 9, he was a about 4 years older) and bunk up inthe single bed thats up in the loft area. but as soon as I'm about to fall asleep he takes all his clothes off, and says something about it being more fun to sleep without any clothes on, and, here's where it gets sketchy--encourages me to do the same. Now, from here on out, my memory fails. The only sure thing I have is that sometime later, that night, I was back in the house, telling my step-mother (his mom) that it got cold ou there and I couldn't sleep or something so I came back inside. I don't recall feeling "guilty," 'dirty,' "confused,' or any of the other kinds of feelings i've heard people have when something actually happened. I do know that I was more suspicious of him for years after that, especially when he one day came out of the shower naked and mooned all three of us boys--and I mean mooned so you could see everything. Yes, he was a freak, and to this day I can't stand the sight of him--as I said his mind is in the gutter, and always will be.

So anyway, my point is that there is this fine line between memories just fading away naturally (like how i can't remember the name of this one cat I had), or if the memory was "repressed" somehow. You can have all these other indicators, such as traumatic recollections, or strong, physical and emotional reactions to a trigger, or years of inexplicable depression, but what if you have none of these things? At some point, you have to go try to reconstruct the memory, if it doesn't simply flood back. And that's where, I think, things get sticky. Concerning the incident with my step-brother, my instinct tells me that he was, in fact, trying to make a perverted pass at me, but that I got up and left when I felt uncomfortable, realizing that something wasn't quite right. However, I'll never know for sure. All i know is that i don't have any of the "leftover" indicators of abuse, such as the ones others in this thread have discussed.

Anyway, I guess I'm rambling. I guess I just have mixed feelings about the methods some people use to recover from their trauma. I have no reason or desire to discredit anyone's memories--since, as someone else pointed out, only a severely unstable person would do it merely for attention--but acknowledge that when it comes down to it, our memories are what we DECIDE them to be (not accounting for outside verification of course--that negates this point). At some point, we fill in the gaps and re-construct them. What we fill in those gaps with is what I'm curious about.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh my goodness Daniel I can't think of anything more confusing is the world of a child with a parent who has MPD/DID. On one level it is normal. That is what you live with. On the other hand never knowing what to expect when you wake up in the morning or when you walk in the door is crazy-making.

There has been studies on the children of multiples. Many learn how to dissociate to an extreme level and can be classified as multiples themselves.

The reality is that some degree of dissociation is normal. We all do it.

• We sit in a room listening to some boring movie and start thinking about something else. We can be so deep into these thoughts that we don't hear someone call us.
    • We drive home lost in our own thoughts and don't get lost getting home. Some part of us knows the way and gets us there while we are busy thinking about something else.

Multiples can seemingly integrate quickly. They can make the decision to stop the severe dissociation to ignore problems. They can make the choice to deal with problems head on. This sounds a lot easier than it is. And in my experience true multiples don't integrate as quickly as your mother and sister seem to have done. I would be suspicious of the diagnosis and the "cure"

Forcing a 9-yr old to watch the video that you watched was totally inappropriate. I was never a multiple but when I left the JWs I told my children, then 13 and 9 about the abuse I went through as a child. They got no details. They didn't need to learn all the things my father and others did to me. All they needed to know was that I had been physically and sexually abused as a child and it seriously affected me and how I mothered them sometimes. There was nothing wrong with them but there was something wrong with me and I was going to fix it. What your mother did was emotionally and psychologically abusive. She had no right to put that on you. I hope a therapist wasn't the one to suggest it.

You are right that you rarely hear about DID anymore. A few people who crossed the line of what is ethical practice have created an atmosphere similar to the one in the early 1900s where a backlash against multiplicity has occurred. It is back in the shadows. This has not helped the people who do suffer from the disorder.

Now as regards the memory with your step-brother. Whatever happened you got out. Maybe it was before something terrible happened. Maybe not but you got out. As you say there aren't any indicators that something terrible happened. This is where the unethical therapists go wrong. They push to create the memory of something bad. But there has to be some other indicators other than a blank spot. We don't need to know every single detail of our pasts

I like the attitude that they will come when they come. There is no point in spending time and effort in chasing down memories when you have enough on your plate. The only time I would say a person must deal with whatever it was is when it is creating problems in your life today. I still don't have the exact memory of when my father burnt my ankle with a cigarette. It happened. I have the scar so I know it happened and I know who I was with when it happened.. Do I really need to torture myself with remembering it in detail. If I was freaking out or dissociating every time I saw a cigarette then there would be a reason to get my butt back into therapy. Yes I see the pun lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit