Repressed, Triggered and Recovered Memories

by Big Tex 98 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• waiting
    waiting

Yeah, rethinking your elder's comment - kg & LLee are probably is closer ...........

his comment was really "off the wall" weird. Like "shut up - don't want to think about this."

Last data I read stated that 1 in 4 girls would be molested..........about the same for boys. lol.....we're everywhere.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

waiting

Yep, I heard #1 and #2 a lot back in the day. I can tell you've walked down the same road. If you ever find yourself in the hinterlands of Texas, give me a call. I would love to say howdy, sit and have a good talk. I might even wear my kilt for you.

What I find interesting is that people oftentimes cast about, almost desperately, for any reason to NOT believe the stories we tell. Now I don't know if that is because they don't want to believe, or they don't want to get involved. It's almost as if they feel dirty somehow by simply listening. And yet it seems as if this is the majority of people out there. Why is that? Or am I generalizing too much?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Let's just say that Jesika's dad hopes that Jehovah is too busy to pay much attention to abused little kids.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

You have a PM

• wednesday
    wednesday

I started having memoires on my own beginning in my 20's. I was so ill, i was at times completely disassociated, and didn't even recognize my own family. I would get pictures in my mind, and think they happened to someone else. Finally i beame to ill to go on, and got treatment. I deneid i had been molested for over 2 years. Not until my father was dying, did i feel safe to remember. Once i went out to his house to just look him in the face, and he poointed a gun at me and said"u remember don't u"I was only ablel to get so far with my memories, as i kept staying in a disassocited state and it made therapy difficut. To this day, am certain there are things i have not been able to remember, but i am not trying to recover anymore memories. I am just tryingto live my life now. I stop disassocaiting years ago, and just feel into a depression, which is where i have stayed. But at least i did not kill myself, which is what my therapist told my husband he feared i would do.

BT, since i know our father, it gives me creeps knowing i have been around him.

weds

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wednesday

How awful! He pointed a gun at you!? Wow. How did you feel? I mean, I'm sure you were frightened, but did that experience help you believe the memories?

Yeah, you'd never think it to look at my father. He's a normal looking guy, kind of like everyone else. But when you find out a few things, it changes how you look at it, doesn't it?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

BT

What I find interesting is that people oftentimes cast about, almost desperately, for any reason to NOT believe the stories we tell. Now I don't know if that is because they don't want to believe, or they don't want to get involved. It's almost as if they feel dirty somehow by simply listening. And yet it seems as if this is the majority of people out there. Why is that? Or am I generalizing too much?

My thoughts on this is that it shakes up their little world. If they were a victim they might not want to deal with it. It is just too close to home.

And if they weren't a victim they don't want to think that people they might know could be so evil.

People don't like to think about evil. It is one thing to go to the movies and have yourself scared silly. But that is the movies. It isn't real. But it shakes them up to think that here you are a flesh and blood person who is saying there is evil in the world. For most people who have not experienced this kind of terror sexually abusing a small child is unthinkable. It is out of the range of thought for most of them. Our stories make them think about realities they prefer to ignore.

Our problem is we can't ignore it and now refuse to allow society to ignore it either. And that makes them very uncomfortable

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Just another thought about this

We just had Mother's Day and Father's Day. Both are days to honor our parents. We live in a society that says ALL parents love their children and would die for them. Nowhere do we hear that some parents would rather kill the child.

Now THAT shakes some people up

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Big Tex / Chris

Threads like these are always tough reads. I do not know where people like yourself find the courage to share this with us, but I hope there is some threapy and healing in it, to do so.

The human mind is a fascinating thing. How memories, both good and bad can be filed away, yet instantly triggered by a phrase, a picture, a voice, even a smell.

I thank you for sharing this with us. It helps us to be more aware of the dangers, that our own children face.

The other day my 11 year old son, and I were talking about the case of Holly Jones in Toronto. He couldn't understand how that could happen.

I asked him " Do you believe in Monsters? They do exist. They may not look any different, than any other person. But they search out and prey on young innocent children. These are the Monsters among us. "

Regards: David

• unique1
    unique1

Wow, I cannot imagine what you are going through, but it sounds as if you have a very supportive wife and we all support you here. I don't believe all repressed memories are planted as some suggest. I do believe that if you start remembering something on your own, it is probably a true memory. Of course there are those Psychatriast that ask leading questions like "Your mother touched you didn't she?" or something to that affect that could cause some people to start having untrue memories, but I think for the most part Therapists are very careful about doing that. Most therapists just ask a simple question and let you answer it for yourself. I suppressed some bad things from my childhood, and when somebody says something all of a sudden the memory comes back and I didn't go through anything close to what you went through, so I definately think you probably suppressed those bad memories. It seems like you are coping well. I hope the nightmares stop and you can beat this depression. Best Wishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit