Dinner last night with our JW friends

by Mulan 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Dave and I have a nice friendship with a JW couple from our teen years. All of us are now pushing 60 or in the 60's. The wife is an old friend of mine from childhood, the daughter of a very well known elder in our area who passed away a few years ago, and her husband is a man we all met in our late teens, when he was studying. He is very intellectual and had a hard time finally accepting "the truth" because of his education. He is a bit older than the rest of us. Dave and I were married when they got engaged and were with them the night he proposed back in 1968. This weekend is their wedding anniversary (34 years) and they invited us to celebrate with them. They never had children, because "the end is coming". I've wondered if they regret that, but she always worked for American Airlines and they have traveled all over the world and back, and never get enough travel. Children would have stifled that.

We met them last night for dinner and, as usual, we closed the restaurant. We always have so much to talk about. It was a wonderful evening. They are still somewhat active but are so liberal about the JW stuff that it's hard to really trust them. The wife told me on the way to our cars, that she hasn't been in field service in years and tells the elders to "back off, this is personal" when they talk to her about it. I know they aren't regular meeting attenders, but they still believe. But..............last night they asked so many questions and at one point, the husband leaned in to the conversation, and his body language was so open to what Dave was talking about. His wife is open to everything, and is very well read so very fun to talk to. Dave told her we might be disassociated the next time we plan to get together, and she laughed and said her friends are too precious to let something like that stop her. Wow, I was stunned.

She said she has always wondered about the Ray Franz incident and what really happened there. I said "read his book". She looked shocked, so I had to add "I dare you." She laughed and said "Well, Marilyn, you know nothing stops me from doing what I want to do." I bet anything she reads his book now. Her husband asked what it was specifially that made Ray question and when we got into the 1914 issue, he was spellbound. We have talked to them openly for years, but some areas have always been off limits. Not last night.

So.............I called him a little while ago to ask him to send me an email because I lost their email address too, when I redid my hard drive on Monday. He was very chatty and told me how much they enjoyed last night. I told him we need to just have them come to our house so we can be more comfortable and talk into the night if we want to, and please let us get together more often than once a year.. He said this "I am so happy to hear that. I was afraid we had crossed the line last night and kept you too late, or talked about things you didn't want to talk about". He was so happy to talk to me again.

This was so great.................I just had to share.

• Soledad
    Soledad

that is wonderful, I'm so happy for you and your friends they sound like lovely, intelligent people. maybe soon we'll be welcoming them on this board? I do hope so.

• JT
    JT

i only hope that they walk thru the door that you two have opened for them-

smile

• gumby
    gumby
    Dave told her we might be disassociated the next time we plan to get together, and she laughed and said her friends are too precious to let something like that stop her. Wow, I was stunned.

Marylyn, This is awesome.... you lucky dog. Old witness friends who will speak with you!

Her attitude is ripe for leaving dubdom and perhaps so is her husbands. How much do these two know about your position with the Organisation? For her to say it wouldn't matter what happens to you and Dave is great! Sounds like she is in the same frame of mind Vivimus mom had just before she got out.

Please keep us informed

Gumby

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Her attitude is ripe for leaving dubdom and perhaps so is her husbands. How much do these two know about your position with the Organisation?

They know it all. We were in the same congregation with her father. Dave gave the Memorial talk when her mother died, and they have always thought the world of him. We all live in the same area, so they have heard all the gossip and rumors, but blow it all off. I am so stunned by them.

• manon
    manon

I'm so happy that you and your family/friends have the opportunity openness to share times/ideas and still retain the mutual respect & love moments like these are priceless. I bet the food & wine was excellent.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Awesome experience! I so much wish I could help some of my friends break free from the Borg. I'm happy for you guys!!

• gumby
    gumby

Marylyn,...( thanks for the reply)

The more I hear these succesful dub/apostate relationships being rekindled....the more I am tempted to call some old friends and see if I might have the same luck. I think many of us forget how much dubwater has gone under the bridge with many old friends and they may be tiring of the Organisation themselves. A phone call away is all it is but I'm a frady cat for fear of rejection. This motivated me though

This is a great encouragment for me and I'm sure many others. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Gumby

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

WOW, Marilyn, that is really great!

I hope this really develops into some good old friends again. You guys have shared a lot of history together to allow such a silly thing as an organization to keep you guys apart!

Please let us know how it progresses.

*wondering if there is a box in the back room to report our "field service"*

j2bf

• Brummie
    Brummie

Excellent story Mulan! Its always encouraging to hear these experiences.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit