Need to vent... advice is welcome

by SlayerLayer 32 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Definitely get your GED. It doesn't take much time, and without it, your possibilities are limited. I don't have a college degree, but I was fortunate enough to get training in COBOL programming for three weeks at a former job I had as a secretary. I have now been a programmer for about 20 years, and I LOVE it.

Check into the possibility of getting training through the state. Many unemployment offices will give your information about state-assisted training in many technical fields.

The most important thing is ability and the desire to learn.

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

I didn't get a brilliant education cos armageddon was coming right ????? I went back to school in 1995 and got what is known in England as a'levels. This led me to university and I got my degree in sociology. Im now doing a masters in Social work and Im 31 so if i can do it so can you JUST GET ON WITH IT

• Prisca
    Prisca

I love it when everyone supports those who need help and advice!

I think you've received some great encouragement, and real-life examples of mature-age schooling. I'd suggest exploring all avenues available to you, and look into whatever courses and job opportunities you can find.

I can identify with the resentment you have regarding the effects of following the Society's decrees. I didn't go on to university, due to it being percieved as "spiritually dangerous" [8>] Then thanks to the "recession we had to have" (the P.M Keating's words) I couldn't find a job for 8 months. Then I was kicked out of home. I finally found a job - delivering pizzas!

Since then, I have had to work my way up (how much lower than can you go than delivering pizzas, lol!) It takes perseverance to continue, when times are tough, but sometimes they are the times when the best opportunities show themselves.

Keep your chin up!

• Englishman
    Englishman

I know about this!

My Everlovin' sometimes teaches her subject on an ACCESS COURSE.

In the UK, "access courses" are available to all adults who lack formal education qualifications. The idea is that the person attends a part time college course for 1 or 2 years, and is then guaranteed a place at a university.

It's ideal for ex-dubs, I assume that there are similar schemes in the US and OZ? http://www.qaa.ac.uk/crntwork/access/contents.htm

Englishman.

• mommy
    mommy

Hey Chris,
    I was also one of the Jw dumb kids. I have a seventh grade education. This did not stop me from going and getting my GED. I went at night to the community college it was free to study for it, and the actual test was somewhere between $7.00-$12.00. A minimal cost for your cap

I also went back to school, toting a 9 month old and a 21 month old. I went to nursing school, and took a limited course of study so I could be done with school a fast as possible. I was robbed of a year of my life, because it was all packed in. But when I left school I was offered work with a pay scale of up t $25.00/hour. So it definalty was worth it for me to go and sacrifice.

I felt cheated though of any formal educational training. So this year thanks to the others I have seen on this boards fine example. I will be returning to school. I am 26 year old and have 2 children, and they are so proud of me. We actually went to the school this weekend for a dance recital and I told them that is where I was going and you could see the pride in their eyes.

I feel too many people will sit and talk about the mistakes, or missed opportunites in their life, but refuse to do anything about them. I am not accusing you of this, just making a statement. I believe life is hard, and even harder without an education. The thing I always think about is how right before I went into nursing school, I was declined a job. I decided I couldn't afford to go to school, and would just "wait until later" The job I wanted was working as a hotel clerk on the night shift making minimum wage, I laugh now at the thought that I can make 3 times that now.

Your children will be so proud of you, they will remember the stuggle you went through to provide a better life for them. You can't change everything in this world, but by settign a good example for your children, you are making a difference.

I have found these links on the web discussing GED testing, and there even is some practice ones you can take. It will give you an idea of where you need help. And like I said, most colleges and communities offer free courses, mostly at night, to help you along.
    . http://www.cedu.niu.edu/~donaldson/leit590/project2/judith/ged.htm
    . http://www.4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=38

This next site is for alot of the programs you can get here in the USA. It is amazing I filled out my financial aid for this coming year on the internet and it took maybe 15 minutes. I had my answer in 2 weeks. So please look into this. I am really excited for you and hope you get some good info from these sitesLOL I just had a thought, in Alchoholics Anonymous they have a step that says something like...First acknowledge that you have a problem. Well you have already done that, now do something about it Good luck!
    . http://www.ed.gov/

• philo
    philo

Wendy,

Congratulation on your move to Cyprus. I only posted to ask if you'll forgive me calling you yummy.

:)

philo

• mommy
    mommy

Philo,
    Of course I am sorry, I was just taken back by that comment. I should have told you on the other thread, to stop looking at your sandals, all is forgiven
    wendy

• philo
    philo

Wendy,

Phew! That's a relief.

Btw, are you a Greek Cypriot or a Turk, or just a tourist? I hope nothing unpleasant happened in the Virgin Isles.

;)

philo

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Wow! You guys are great. I didn't really expect much of a reply. I really kind of just felt frustrated at the time I wrote that, and needed to vent.

Thank you so much for all of the much welcomed advice. I know that I have many options at my disposal. I've always known about these choices I could make, but have been satisfied with my income at the theater. I always thought that I could do no better, since I was a seventh grade drop out, making $36,000 a year.

I've spent the last week actually sulking about it, and now I feel so encouraged knowing that I'm not the only person out there who has gone through this.

Thank you so much for the swift kick in the butt!!! You guys are great!

Chris

P.S. Happy Mother's Day Mommy and all of you other mommies out there!

"Forget the tribe, my pants have spoken."

• LDH
    LDH

Slayer, I hope you will appreciate my off the wall sense of humor with what I am about to say...

Did the fact that you were functioning as General Manager of a Multiplex, with no academic background in Business Administration, perhaps have anything to do with the Multiplex closing? (he he, I'm just joking)

But a piece of unasked for advice, don't lie on your resume. Most resumes contain a little disclaimer at the bottom right below your signature which says 'the information contained herein is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.'

I know someone who lied about having a college degree, but also got a high level job. When this person and another employee both decided to apply for a postion higher up in the company (promotion), the other employee made a phone call to HR and told them to check out the accuracy of ALL the resumes, because they heard through the grapevine that one was falsified. Needless to say, my friend lost her job due to lying on an application. Not a great way to go out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit