Need to vent... advice is welcome

by SlayerLayer 32 Replies latest jw friends

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

When I was 13, all of the other kids in my congregation were taking home school, getting them out of the "bad association" in public school. They talked me into it too.

Of course, at 13 trying to get me to actually DO the schooling was a feat that no one could master.

I worked for a brother in the cong. full time, and never finished the schooling.

So...Flash Forward

I'm 28 now, with no high scool, much less college behind me. "You don't want to go to College anyway son, you should be thinking about Bethel" (GAG)

About 4 years ago, I lied on an application and got a job as the General Operations Manager of a local Multiplex theater. It was awesome. The money was incredible.

Two weeks ago they closed down the theater and now I 'm out of a job.

Here I am again now looking for employment, but with no diplomas or degrees to put down on paper.

I know that I can find new employment. I'm not even worried about that. I just hate that the organization is still screwing up my life today.

And yes, I know that I can still go to school, but I am 28 with a family to support, so it's not as easy as that.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

Chris

"Forget the tribe, my pants have spoken."

• zev
    zev

just a thought? how about trying for your g.e.d.
    it doesnt take up to much time and you should be able to squeeze it in between work, and home life. and meetings, if your still attending. {sorry, i dont know what made me say that }
    and you'll at least have the high school diploma that way. just my 2 cents dude.

__
    zev
    Sitting on the Wrong Side of the Fence Class

• zev
    zev

btw, i enjoyed the south park thing. your talented....any way to get paid for that talent you have?

__
    zev
    Sitting on the Wrong Side of the Fence Class

• wasasister
    wasasister

I'm a fine one to talk, I haven't gone back to school at the ripe old age of 47...but I know some who have. AlanF's wife did just that, as a single mom with two boys to support. I have talked to many others, much older than you who have made extreme sacrifices to continue their education. If you live in the US, there are grants available, low interest loans, tax credits, all to help you get some sort of degree. It won't be easy, and it will mean you give up eating in restaurants and driving newer vehicles, but it can be done.

OK, I need to work on taking my own advice. Do me a favor and set a good example for me?

Was

• vsecret939
    vsecret939

I can relate to your story very well. My mom also got me and my older sister to do the homeschool thing, which was a total dissaster. I went back the next school year but I had already lost a year. To make matters worse, the next school year, my mom falls into this major depression and doesn't work, so I drop back out of school to get a job, so I lose another year. Then the next year, I go to live with my dad, but we had disagreements and I keft home and dropped out of school once again and for the last time. I'm now 22 and I just got my ged diploma (yeah!) and this summer i start at the local community college. I to now have a family, a husband and two boys. I know its hard but things will happen for you. Hey, if you are in the USA, check around your area for some information into something called the workforce investment act. What it is is a government founded program that sends people to get training in different fields so that they can get decient jobs. They paid for my husband's computer training, and they are the ones who paid for my ged($65 for the test) and they are providing me with up to $4500 for the costs of tuition, books, fees,ect... for two years at the community college. Wherevere you are are there should be some type of programs that you can look into. Anyway, good luck

victoria's secret

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Slayer:

As an employer, when I look at candidate's resumes, their schooling is relatively unimportant in my evaluation of them. What I look for, overwhelmingly, is their actual experience and achievements in employment.

In short: your resume should minimize your lack of formal schooling, and emphasize your previous achievements in your managerial position.

Plus, I've never seen a resume devoid of obvious spelling or grammatical errors. If ever I do, that person will automatically qualify for an interview. Check, check, check.....

You probably know this already, so good luck with the job-hunting; I'm sure you'll have rapid success.

And yes, it pisses me off too how the WT damages people's potential for achievement. The loss is tragic and incalculable.

Expatbrit

• Francois
    Francois

I know it's difficult. But perhaps a few stories from others who did it will inspire you. You've already gotten a couple; here's another I hope will impel you toward where you need to go.

At the age of 42, but with a college education, paying child support to a bitter and vindictive ex-wife just waiting for me to miss a payment, and working as a consultant with no job security, I went to the local technical school in Atlanta and took a course in Cobol programming. The course required three nights a week, and homework. I figured out that the amount of time I had to spend in homework was inversely proportional to the amount I paid attention in class.

I became the scourge of the professor. I wouldn't allow him to proceed from one point to another until I had understood every word. Voila! Little time in homework, and in the end, I Aced that class. It only took six quarters to finish. That was 16 years ago. I am now in the top 1% of income earners in this country. It can be done, and done by you. Your posts indicate a bright intellect. Go for it, man, you can do it.

Francoise

• jimmyjames
    jimmyjames

Slayer,

About a year and a half ago, a 23 year-old girl I used to work with told me that she never graduated high school. She had a little girl and had to stay home when she wasn't at work because her husband worked full time. I encouraged her to get her GED but she was politely pessimistic about it, with her time constraints and everything.

I quit that job a little over a year ago. I talked to her recently and to my shock she not only got her GED, but she's only got one year left at the community college! She's going to get her A.A. before I do!

Another guy from that same store (who's 33) went to the same junior college and now he's attending UNLV.

I still have a year and a half before I get my A.S. It's difficult because I carry mail so I have to take all my classes at night. I'm managing to schedule it so I can go to school full time, but even if my job only allowed me to take 1 class per semester, I'd still do it. It might take 4 or 5 years to get an associates that way, but 4 or 5 years is going to come and go anyway, I might as well be working towards a degree during it.

Schedules are extremely flexible at community colleges. Taking one class per semester, you'd only have to attend school for 2-4 hours one or two days a week, and usually you can pick day or night.

If you want it, go for it.

• patio34
    patio34

Slayer,

Your lack of formal training doesn't show up in your posts! The thread about suing the WTBS and your detailed answer of the legalities of it were very good. You obviously are very bright.

You are right about the pressure on jws not to let their kids pursue education. In our family 'clan,' the only ones without higher education are the jws (my kids). Regrets, I've had a few, too.

Patio

• hybridous
    hybridous

SL, I would agree with all that's been said here. You did a great job with that South Park thing, obviously, you are not without talent.

Jimmyjames said something that I've been saying all along...essentially the time is gonna go by wether you do something - or nothing. May as well do something.

These days, a 2 year computer degree is worth as much, if not more than, a lot of Bachelors and Masters degrees. You seem to have some intrest & skill in that area. I would give it some consideration.

My girlfriend graduated this afternoon with a Masters degree. I am as proud as heck. I'm still working on the Bachelors - going after work most days. I won't tell you it easy, but I believe that the time is well spent.

Sometimes, when I let my jealously get the better of me, I become resentful. She's out of school with a MS and owes no money. For her, there was no cult upbringing & the family had the money to give her. Why couldn't my situation have been as easy?! My family doesen't/didn't have that kind of money. I wasted 2 years in community college drifting around without direction, trying to figure out what to do. Those kind of thoughts ultimately do me no good, so I try to rid myself of them.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. Keep me updated on your situation. [email protected]

HYBRIDOUS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit