Will The Pope Just Die Already!

by xjw_b12 40 Replies latest social current

• Robdar
    Robdar

Yeru,

Gadzooks! I do agree with everything that you said to Froggit. Is this a sign of the apocalypse? I wouldn't be surprised.

I also agree with what you said to DJ.

Our special devotion to Mary has to do with her example of Faith. She said Yes to God against the odds, she was with him in much of his ministry, and our example of turning to her is given in the account of the Wedding at Cana, even after Jesus said the lack of wine wasn't his concern, Mary, in faith, told the servants to do whatever Jesus instructed.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Also, I do not look at talking to my patron saint as praying to her. I look at it as asking her to help me by giving me guidance and support. I do the same with my daddy and all my friends. I know that Brigid loves me. I love her. I trust her and know that she will help me, if possible.

Robyn

• DJ
    DJ

Yeru,

LOL! I didn't know if it was Jude from the bible or another Catholic saint named Judy...lol...sorry. I still don't agree with praying to dead people but I do understand what you are saying and how it isn't actually praying to another God but this concept lacks biblical support totally. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. There is ONE mediator though, right?

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Hey DJ! Robyn! Yeru! good posts. I converted to Catholicism last year and I had very good educators too. I love John Paul, and his birthday is the same as mine. I wrote him a letter last year for his birthday, and within 6 weeks he wrote me back, sent me a gold medal and a picture of himself blessing me! I was told to hold onto the letter because when he comes up for sainthood after he dies and they need evidence of a miracle I can show them the letter and he will be a shoo in ---since it usuallly takes the Vatican about 300 years to respond and he did it in 6 weeks! LOL (An inside catholic joke...)

DJ the 'Communion of Saints' is based on Hebrews chapter 12. The 'great cloud of witnesses'. The idea that no one who dies in good graces is 'dead' to God...and just the fact that if they already made it thru this test, what better ones to ask for prayers on our behalf? Yeru mentioned that they become the Church Triumphant---still the same Church...but while we are on earth we are in the Church Militant---you know different 'mansions' in the Father's house? So asking a saint to pray for you is just the same as asking someone in your congregation to do the same, only you figure they MIGHT have an edge being a little closer to God.....it is not even an issue to Catholics because of the way we view the Church as a whole, no matter WHERE we are in it......

One other thing that might help you understand how Catholics think(which is different from how Protestants think)is that catholics feel that the Church came first, and out of the Church came the Bible. Protestants feel that the Bible came first and out of the Bible came the Church.

Ravyn

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Rocketman,

I always take the Gold Class seats when I go to the movies!!!

The Pope

• Waygooder64
    Waygooder64

I have to agree with my good friend xjw, someone should get him a gift certificate for Dr. Jack Kervorkian for a one time visit.....

• Waygooder64
    Waygooder64

I also have to agree with Dennis Leary ...I refuse to believe in a religion whose power structure is based on the size of your hat.....

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Ravyn,

I understand it now....but I still question the idea of my Catholic friends who seem to pray to their dead loved ones. To me, it is assuming that this loved one is with God or in any of the mansions...lol..because most of the time we are talking about people who when alive were not exactly Christian in thier behaviors. Does the church teach them that it is ok to pray to anyone who died or just these Saints? thanks, dj

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

every Wednesday the Pope has a televised 'audience' from the Vatican where he conducts a blessing to a crowd. You can watch it on EWTN if you have Dish and some cable lineups(www.ewtn.com). Before you judge his abilities, listen to him. He may have parkinsons, but then again so does Michael J. Fox---shall we just euthanize both of them? (I am not upset---I just hate to see people dismiss something without giving it a chance.)

Ravyn

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Are we so superior that we can actually say who should live and who should die just because their body is failing? Yes, the Pope is not in good health. But, that does not mean his mind is gone. How awful for anybody to have their mind sharp but their body fail.

I've seen many people suffer from Parkensons. There is so much their mind wants to do but the body just isn't able to. What a terrible disease!

The Pope is cool. Leave him alone.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

Dear DJ,

the Church allows for private revelation. But it must remain private if it is not sanctioned by the Church for public worship. If they pray to their relatives, it is most likely a personal thing. It can get out of hand. But the Church allows a person to have the freedom to do that. They have to accept personal responsibility if they misuse it. If misused it could actually be considered a sin. I think it is more likely to find prayer to relatives who have passed in some cultures over other cultures. In countries of latino heritage it is very common, not so much in other cultures.

As far as the 'saints' who are canonized, that is the Church's 'official' recognition of them and usually involves setting up a feast day for that person--still it is up to individuals and parishes whether they observe the feast days or not. Only a few feast days are affairs for the entire Church and obligatory to observe. The Church recognizes that we are all saints, but some have proved to be beneficial to the bringing of other souls closer to God. These are the ones who are canonized. It is a long long drawn out, complicated process, sometimes taking hundreds of years. The first step is 'beatification'. This Pope has beatified and canonized more saints than any other Pope in history.

He also recently did something that has never been done since its inception---that is he added a whole set of 'mysteries' to the rosary prayer! This is a BIG DEAL. I love the rosary. It is a way of meditation and prayer that is so soothing and calming and profound. It involves all the senses--touch(counting and holding the beads), hearing(saying the prayers out loud), seeing(alot of times I look at pictures of the 'mysteries'), smelling(I always use a rose scented oil or incense and many have reported smelling roses not coming from anything they have done themselves...) and tasting....hmmm welll maybe not ALL the senses...LOL! Unless you take it figuratively and say that you 'taste that God is good'! The rosary engages both sides of the brain too. While you are repeating the Hail Mary's and Our Fathers like a mantra you are meditating on the mystery for that particular decade(set of ten) and now there are 4 sets of 5 mysteries each depicting Jesus entire life. You can dedicate a decade to a particular concern or for someone else. For me it is a complete prayer. It does not replace informal prayer---but I have to say -informal prayer does not replace the rosary either.

ok the infomercial for the rosary being done, I will stop for now before I get accused of proselytizing! LOL But I do enjoy Catholicism which is a new experience for me in the realms of christianity.

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit