Will The Pope Just Die Already!

by xjw_b12 40 Replies latest social current

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

In the newspaper today there was an article on Pope John Paul's visit to Crotia. This is his 100th pilramage, in his 83rd year. In 2 weeks he is scheduled to go to Bosnia, where I doubt he'll get as warm as a reception as he did in Croatia. And in August he is scheduled to go to Mongolia !

The man has Parkinson's disease, a bad hip and knee, slurs his words, and needs a special chair to stand him up.

How can a man who is in such poor health, who does not seem to be in charge of his mental faculties, actually be in charge of the largest Christian religion in the world. How can he know what is going on? How can he actually make any decisions? Who then IS making the decisions ?

And is there not a parallel between the Pope and the Governing Body? These men who are in their 80's and 90s....are they actually contributing on a day to day basis, to the governing of their respective religions?

Who really is running the show ?

• unique1
    unique1

Your description of the pope reminds me of that South Park episode. Some really funny stuff.

Paralell between the Pope and the GB? The old annointed brothers turned everything over to the younger non annointed people so they could mainly focus on spiritual matters.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane
    needs a special chair to stand him up

IMHO, I think he's dead already, that's not him you see, thats an animated puppet, that's why they need the special chair to prop him up.

They buried him ages ago.

my opinion.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    IMHO, I think he's dead already, that's not him you see, thats an animated puppet, that's why they need the special chair to prop him up.

They buried him ages ago.

hahahaahaha. I love the mental images that creates.

ash

• Gopher
    Gopher

I am not familiar enough with the way Catholicism works to address "who's running it now"...

But there is definitely a love affair between this pope and many of the Catholic people. This man loves travelling and seeing people. It's probably what keeps him going. And he does read sermons to the people, exhorting on general things like peace and the role of women, etc. The people who want a leader have one in him.

I don't know that JW's have a personal attachment to the Governing Body members like the Catholics do to their pope. They might love them as a group, but not the individual members (unless they happen to be one of the minority of JW's who actually know the names of their leaders). (No their leader isn't the Christ....)

• Gwydion
    Gwydion

It doesn't matter if he is alive or dead. If he dies they just choose another pope clone just as they have done for the past thousand and some years.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

The pope doesn't lead the catholics the same way as the governing body. For instance he couldn't just come up with some "new" light out of the blue. He's a figure-head that's all. But he has been very personable and that's why the people love him. Not like a Jaracz for example who makes even the most devout witness have to force themselves to say he's "personable".

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Gwydion,

Apparently you've not paid much attention to the nature of popes if you call JP2 a clone. He's so far different from the two guys that came before him it's amazing. Yep, some guys have been cookie cutter popes. Any organization with a 2000 year history will have that.

As to his mental faculties, I just don't know, and neither do you. Parkisans does NOT attack the mental capacity of the sufferer. }

Personally, I would like to see him resign, but that's pretty unlikely.

As to being like the GB? NEVER. The doctrinal process is quite lenghty and precise, and there are very few absolutes in the faith (relatively speaking) The last binding statement by a pope (as in Infallible, binding on all Christians) was in 1958, and has only been used about a dozen or so times in history.

Powers of the Pope, on his own he could allow married men to be ordained priests. It's a discipline issue that he controls as pope (I hope the next pope makes that change)

The Pope could NOT however, allow women to be ordained. This is a doctrinal issue that would need a council of the church to make it happen.

Yes, most Catholics love and respect this pope, he's been what the church needed. I hope the next one is of the same character.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((((Yeru)))))))

I love the way you never get all up in arms when someone expresses opinion about your religion. There should be more Christians like you!

Love ya,

Andi

• DJ
    DJ

One of my earliest memories of the jw's wa their claim that they are not like the pope who claims infalibility. I admit that I was very young when I was taught this by an elderly couple who were studying with my parents but I put it on the back burner in my mind. I have tossed it around now and then trying to figure out exactly what they meant. As an xjw, I see it as just another lie. I am assuming of course that they meant infalibility in interpreting the scriptures. How could a jw say that? They must have been fully aware that they HAD to believe the wt interpretations or else. They also were jws since birth so, they had to have seen the flip flops too. I have no idea where those people are now or even if they are alive but I wish that I could find them and ask them just what in the heck they were talking about.

Yeru,

You seem like such a great guy and I always read your posts. I'm wondering if you'd mind answering a few questions for me? I've always wondered why Catholics seem to pray to saints instead of God. I heard that they do not think that they are praying to, but "through" them. That doesn't sound right to me though, because they sure don't sound like that is the case. Do you know why? Thanks dj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit