Jehovah's Witnesses Started By Christiandom

by mrquik 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mrquik
    mrquik

A little background first. My first father- in-law, Levi Peterson was born in 1889. He personally knew Rutherford. He started the Newark, NY congregation. There was a letter that hung in the Palmyra, NY foyer that recommended an interested person contact my father-in-law. It was signed by Rutherford. I grew up as a witness. Gave my first talk at 9. Left the cult at 59. I have a half a century of Bible training. I know the cult intimately. The cult refuses to celebrate birthdays & holidays even though there is no direct Biblical edict in doing so. They claim there is sufficient evidence to formulate a principal instead. OK. Let's apply that principal to the very beginning of the cult. You would expect for something this monumental to be directed from the voice of Jehovah himself. Not the case. Russell plagiarized his belief in 1914 from John Aquila Brown, a Seventh Day Adventist. John had been throwing dates at a dart board for decades as to when Armageddon would start. After a number of tries, he hit on 1914. Russell picked up on this & they hit a winner. Now, back to holidays. The underlying principal as to why JW's don't celebrate is that the origins are pagan. It doesn't matter how people today feel about the holiday, the origins are all important to Jehovah. That being the case, I put it to all Witnesses. Do you think Jehovah would approve of a religion that has it's origin in Christiandom? I think not. You are a false religion and as you recall Revelation's call to flee from false religion, it's time to leave.......

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

What’s sauce for the goose apparently isn’t sauce for gargoyles at Warwick

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

To be honest I see the ban on birthdays and Christmas as been a positive. Even now that I’m out I am great full I don’t have to, or feel obligated to, celebrate it. I’m happy to say merry Christmas or toast a glass of wine. But spending a whole day setting up for a party is something I’d much rather not do

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A good argument mrquick ! of course the whole JW attitude to things Pagan is without logic, and is as usual hypocritical or perhaps at best, very inconsistent.

Surely if Jehovah disagreed with things with a Pagan origin they should not use the names for the days of the week, even marriage itself is of Pagan origin, they did it first ! and a good number of things associated with a marriage ceremony, we all know about them choosing to ban confetti, but what about the Veil ? You and I could list plenty more I guess.

The problem is that J.W's and Facts, Logic, Consistency and Honesty do not go together. Obviously their god Jehovah has the same lack of intellectual honesty, and lack of consistency, yet the Scripture tells them that he does not change ! The longer one is out of the Cult, the weirder it seems, but also it is very very SILLY !

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

And why have Jehovah`s Witnesses adopted the same number of books of the Bible that most protestants use ?

And these bible books that were approved as being Gods word was from no other than the Catholic church in the third Century ?

Why have Jehovah`s Witnesses adopted the name for God that a Spanish Catholic monk of the 13th Century came up with using the equivalent letters of the alphabet of his day with the four letters of the Tetragrammaton and came up with JHVH ,added a couple of vowels and came up with the name Jehovah.

The first edition of the publication "Aid to Bible Understanding" admitted that Jehovah was probably not the best pronunciation of Gods name ,however it was the most popular name in use ? In use by whom ? Christendom of course, who else is interested in using the name of God ?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ironic how much they disdain their own origins, isn't it?

Almost like they're embarrassed, or something.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

The masters of spin were clever. The witnesses came before Christianity. Watchtower lifted the name Jehovah's Witnesses from the book of Isaiah. The prophet Daniel was one of Jehovah's Witnesses (in the Biblical, non-Watchtower sense). It was the prophets who told of the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Christianity is from Israel, from the faithful ones of the House of Jacob who bore witness to the fact that Jehovah (ie the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob whatever pronunciation you prefer) is the true God.

The Watchtower is apostate to Jehovah's Witnesses as defined by the prophet Isaiah.

(Isaiah 43:10-11) . . .YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. 11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior. . .

• TD
    TD
    Russell plagiarized his belief in 1914 from John Aquila Brown, a Seventh Day Adventist.

Brown died 20 years before the Seventh Day Adventists were founded and the 1914 date actually came from Barbour.

He was however one of the first known expositors to claim that the 7 times of Nebuchadnezzer were a 2520 year prophetic period.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    mrquika day ago
    A little background first. My first father- in-law, Levi Peterson was born in 1889. He personally knew Rutherford.

Was your father-in-law a drunk too?

just asking!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Russell plagiarized his belief in 1914

mrquik ...

He likely plagiarized himself a lot after he was divorced in 1897.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit