What if the Watchtower Changed .......

by IslandWoman 69 Replies latest jw friends

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hamas,

I couldn't refrain.

For the purposes of this thread let's say that what I wrote in the initial post is something being spoken about by some at Bethel and even let us say that plans are now being worked out for such changes to take place when all things that must be worked out are accomplished.

Let us also say that some hardliners at Bethel are loathe to allow "apostates" to freely mingle with the "sheep" in the congregations, while more moderate brothers are willing to risk problems in favor of allowing more loving practices in the KH.

The controling factor then, in whether or not shunning is continued in the KH, will be whether or not the powers that be at Bethel believe the exJWs are willing to refrain from ridiculing the beliefs of JWs while in the KH or at their homes.

Otherwise, limited shunning must and will remain in place. Not out of malice but because of necessity.

IW

• Brummie
    Brummie

IW I would be happy if they changed their aggresive doctrine, even if only for the sake of those inside. But someone used to have a saying at the bottom of their post that read "You cant polish a turd, you have to wipe it off your shoe"..

I think that sums up my sentiments - I would never be interested in going back to a chameleon (sp?).

Brummie

• Hamas
    Hamas

The point is, I could refrain from warning people about the dangers of being part of a cult with such a wicked history behind it. Reform is open to everybody, but only to a certain extent.

Why go back to an Organization whose history dictates them to be evil ? No logic.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Nosferatu,

IslandWoman, there are issues I have with the teachings of the Society that you didn't mention. There are many, many more conflicts I have such as discouraging members from getting professional help, their horrible idea that Armageddon is around the corner, the 5 meetings a week, the game of "which publisher can put in the most hours this month", Their views on sex and any sexual practices, do I need to go on??

The Watchtower will never be what everyone wants them to be or change everything that others feel must be changed. Every religion has fault.

If though, the Watchtower changes the major problems that cause harm to people wouldn't that be great and a reason for rejoicing?

IW

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Brummie and Hamas,

I wasn't speaking about "going back" but about being tolerant enough to not insult them to their face.

IW

• Brummie
    Brummie

IW, I see, yes that would make me even more tolerant. I am tolerant to their face anyway, I do genuinly care about them. I have never insulted a JW for what they believe, I believed it 100% too for a major part of my life.

brummie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hamas,

No, I did not presume you were a Muslim, and I have no interest in interdenominational scraps. If I gave that impression I apologize. What I ameant to say is that EVERY faith, has blood in its tracks. No exceptions. Even the most benign faiths have a history. For example, not many people appreciate that what became the SDA in its embryonic stage was persecuted, and many adherents murdered in England in the C18th, by the most perhaps the most tolerant of all religions, the Protestant church.

Apologies for the misunderstanding - HS

• metatron
    metatron

Respectfully, IslandWoman, one key problem here concerns lying and inconsistency by the Society.

I would have to applaud REAL, HONEST change BUT we've been down this road before.

The "no df'ing because of blood" deceit was truly reprehensible. Likewise , when the elder arrangement got started,

all sorts of good, reasonable changes seemed to be in the air - only to be crushed.

The problem here is internal factions. You might get some guys in the Writing Dept. to agree BUT what about the

Service Dept? There's been quiet controversy and contradiction between these and other factions for many years. Examples:

Go to college! Don't go to college! Multiple personality is demonism! No, it isn't! We don't df people who need blood!

We disassociate them!

Honesty and mercy go together here. If they really change without lying about it, I say God Speed.

metatron

• Scully
    Scully

Would changes to Watchtower policy and apologies for the errors bring back loved ones who died for following those erroneous policies? Would they bring back loved ones who died as a result of suicide following being disfellowshipped and shunned, when what these people really needed was love, compassion and support?

They can change as much as they want, and apologize as much as they want. It will never erase the human suffering that those policies have caused in "God's name". The Watchtower's crimes against humanity require more than a simple apology.

Love, Scully

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    If though, the Watchtower changes the major problems that cause harm to people wouldn't that be great and a reason for rejoicing?

The thing is, an incredible amount of their teachings are harmful. There would have to be a LOT of changes for me to completely accept them. I would rejoice if they eliminated even one of their harmful teachings, however you can't take one bad apple out of a bunch of spoiled ones to make it look better. It would just indicate that they're beginning to understand that some things are incredibly wrong.

I would like to see the Watchtower make a 180 degree turn - begin helping people with their deep-rooted problems, and helping them improve their lives. They have a little of that with their references to the bible that smoking, drug addiction, etc is bad, but they need to go further with it to make people better themselves rather than discouraging them from getting professional help and giving them a Watchtower or Awake on the subject of their problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit