I quit the Goodwill :(

by Joliette 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette
    I couldnt take seeing people from the kingdom hall. You guys wouldnt believe how many Jehovahs Witnesses shop in the Goodwill. I couldnt take it. My mom shops at the Goodwill, and I saw my dad in there like a month ago, and now he shops there! My dad didnt like the Goodwill, but she influenced him to start buying his kingdom hall suits there. I couldnt take it you guys, maybe I'm not strong enough.
  • Perry
    Perry
    Goodwill serves a valuable niche. I have picked up a few things there, I regularly donate stuff there and take the tax deduction.
  • Joliette
    Joliette
    Yeah I guess its ok to shop there, but I couldnt take working there. Too much.
  • Joliette
    Joliette
    I liked my coworkers, its just that I didnt like seeing people that I knew from the kingdom hall.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    I like to go every once in a while, mainly to look for books, but now I only go when I'm out of town because I know if I go in my hometown, I'm going to see a JW.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Your folks probably wanted to check on you in a way that would not get them busted.
  • cha ching
    cha ching

Haha, toooo funny, Joliette!!!

I ALMOST started a thread this week about the Goodwill!!! I met all kinds of witnesses there Sunday! Lol...

One guy asked me, "aren't you a witness?" (He was in the Spanish hall, I was English) "Now, i'm not" "really? You look just like someone I knew.. "

I just said"nope" again, I did not want to get angry explaining the who what where when and why of it all...

That being said I luuuuuvvvv shopping at Goodwill, I get constant compliments with clothing I would not be able to afford anywhere else! 2 fun!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oh wow that must have driven you nuts. If the are shunning you it must have been agony. I'm so sorry. I hope you can find something else soon, the people that work there are usually great.

Its funny all the different names we have for them.

In the UK we call them charity shops and my New Zealand husband calls them op shops - short for opportunity.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

I used to frequent Goodwill when I was still in. Buying all of the dresses, knee length skirts and kids dress clothes. Now I buy new Sweat pants, jeans and anything comfy. I donated all my meeting clothes to Goodwill. That was a good/happy day. My closet is as neat as a pin!

Sorry you had to leave your job because of this cult.

• baker
    baker
    I like to visit the Catholic Thrift shop. It is larger than goodwill, with a lot more selection and you won't find any true JW,s there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit