I quit the Goodwill :(

by Joliette 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

You know it's interesting that scripture clearly says in 1 Timothy 5:8 that "anyone [who] who does not provide for those who are his own ....... has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith."

Scripture does say to put the Kingdom first and all other things will be provided. So the question begs, if being a zealous Witness gets you only as far as the Goodwill for the basics, then obviously, somehow their "worship" and putting the Kingdom first as a Witness, is not being blessed by God. Otherwise, Malachi 3:10 would apply where it says in part, "Bring the entire tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house; and test me out, please in this regard" .... "to see whether I will not open to you the floodgates of the heavens and pour out on you a blessing until there is nothing lacking."

Bottom line, God does not approve of their worship when they are putting the GB first, who claim to speak for God, and His Son a distant, distant second. Again Christ says, " I am the bread of life". I don't know but it seems pretty clear to me.

• steve2
    steve2
    It can be hard working in a company or for a service when negative people from one's past frequent it. I can fully understand you quitting the job.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    It's Bloomingdales for pioneers.
  • blondie
    blondie
    Go to St Vincent DePaul or Salvation Army....may cut down how many jws you see and if they say it is wrong why are they there....or go to garage sales on Saturday am or Friday.
  • blondie
    blondie

My cousin runs a Goodwill store. I would never had clothes if I hadn't shopped there. Not everyone can afford 50 to 100 dollar jeans. I sewed all my clothes picking apart seams to get fabric to use and made my own patterns. It wasn't until I was 18 and working full-time that I could buy decent clothes for my mom and brother. I still go there and get wooden baskets that I clean up, repair, and decorate and sell for 5 times what I paid.

I would just find a time when they don't go...Saturday or Sunday morning.

or meeting evenings from 6 to 9pm

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

It can be hard to afford two different sets of clothes- work clothes and meeting clothes. Sisters especially, flock to Goodwill like geese around corn. Sadly, most can't afford anything else, so it's not from a choice to shop there. It's from the JW lifestyle keeping them poor, and having to build up a wardrobe of Kingdumb Hall clothes anyway.

It made me mad that I had to wear skirts and dresses to the Hall. What, God doesn't love us in pants? We were born without clothing, so I don't see where he's impressed by what we wear. But yeah, I hear about Goodwill a lot from my mom and her friends. It's heavily frequented by JW's. If you don't care to run into them, it's a good place to stay away from. They do have lots of good t shirts and sweaters tho.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

What if a Apostate or Devil worshiper donated their cloths to Goodwill, and the Brother

is giving a talk in a suit he purchase at Goodwill. My sister returned gifts to

our mom (1974) because she believe our mom open the door for Satan in my sister home.

• naazira
    naazira

I wouldn't have quit my job because of them. After all, the Jehovah's witnesses don't pay my bills! But at least you won't have to see em!

• stillin
    stillin
    I wandered into a Goodwill last year and ran into an old Witness friend whose wife had just passed away after a long illness. He was looking for a "new" suit to wear to her memorial. Ripped my heart out of my chest...
  • LV101
    LV101

I think you made a healthy decision.

Question - someone told me not to donate to the Goodwill because the owner(s) grab things given/donated to them and sell at profit -- well, obviously. I was told it's not really a charitable business and they've become filthy rich on Goodwill. Didn't make sense to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit