What are you currently reading?

by Sirona 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Swan
    Swan

Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time
    by Michael Shermer

...but this thread reminds me that I need to get busy and order Thunder Rider's Burden so I can get it before I go on vacation.

Tammy

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Now, could I please ask for your help in locating some books of the genre I really like, and that's historical fiction.

Have you read any Edward Rutherford? Sarum, The Forest, London, Ruska

Also Diana Gabaldon: The Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, (there are 3 more I think, all sequels to each other, about Scotland)

• Swan
    Swan

I loved the Gabaldon books and am looking forward to her new series in November. I liked Sarum better than London because of the characters. The history in both, but especially in London, gave me an excellent understanding of my boring factual social studies texts back in school. It helped bring English history to life for me.

• sandy
    sandy

I am currently reading a book called Bette and Joan. It is all about the 50-year feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

They were both very evil and self-centered. I love it!! I love to know all the juicy drama about celebrities.

I love reading biographies; true crime and self help books.

I just picked up Dr. Laura's book, Ten Stupid Things Couple Do To Mess Up Their Relationship

I am going to start reading that this weekend.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Sirona:

I love Dean Koontz. I am actually re-reading a lot of stuff Thunders book and such. Plus I have creative writing class so introduced to some now stuff.

http://www.thunderridersburden.com/index1.htm?http://www.thunderridersburden.com/

• Englishman
    Englishman

I remember reading 2 books for my GCE exams in my youth. "Fire over England" by A. Mason, about the Spanish Inquisition and "The history of Mr. Polly" by H.G.Wells. Both were an excellent read.

Englishman.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Eleanor of Aquitaine by Marion Meade;

what a woman

She inherited a quarter of France at fifteen,

crusader at twenty five;

married the King of France;

divorced the king of France as he was crap in bed;

re-married to the the King of England ( that lead to 300 years of war)

turned her back on her husband ;

supported her son's instead;

became key political figure of the twelfth centuary;

had eleven children and crossed the Pyrenees at seventy eight .

It's a great book, one of those I can't wait to pick up each day. I love it when I find a good one

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Red Azalea - an autobiography of a woman who grew up in Mao's China. Just getting started with it, but I like it so far.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thunder Rider's Burden. I'm already on page 14.

• blackout
    blackout

Francois, try 'Kings in Grass Castles' by Mary Durac she has written a whole series, its about how the 'Cattle Kings' tackled the top end of Australia. A really good read, its actually about her family. It really gives an insight into how tough these people were, the magnitude of moving cattle and horses across this rugged country, how the aborigional people played a part, the importance of Sydney for the nation etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit