What are you currently reading?

by Sirona 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Hey Stinky-

I love Kellerman's Delaware novels--I've read them all, and the most recent one is masterful. The major problem I've had with them in the last few years is the casting of Morgan Freeman in the role in the film adaptations to date. Freeman is a superb actor, and he tackled the roles expertly (as he does every role) but the character is NOTHING like Freeman in the novels, and now all I can hear in my head is his distinctive voice and cadence while I'm reading. As a connoisseur of what my husband calls the "Popcorn Mystery Novel" (since I go through them like popcorn, and they are low brain power, mind-candy reads), I can highly recommend Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series as another set of well-written, entertaining novels in the genre that you might enjoy.

I read voraciously, sometimes juggling two or three books at once--depends on what I'm in the mood for. Currently I'm reading "The Language Police: How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn" by Diane Ravitch, "The Face" by Dean Koontz (though formulaic, I've read and highly enjoyed all of his books), and we're reading "Where the Red Fern Grows" by James Whitmore aloud as a family (a timeless classic, we felt it would be better to read it aloud to the children as to-hopefully-minimize the weeping at the end. I re-read the last half of the book in it's entirety the other night just to make sure I could get through it without breaking down, and I still wept like a child...). When we finish that book, we're really looking forward to June 21st when our new copy of the fifth Harry Potter book is delivered!

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Sara-

I thought that Freeman played Alex CROSS from Patterson's series, not Delaware. If that's what you mean, I agree, he's much too old for the part.

Also, I've read the Kay Scarpetta series. I love seeing a female in that type of role. As for juggling two or three books, I do that all of the time. But when I do, I try not to do two of the same kind of books. For example I am now reading Over the Edge by Kellerman and What to Expect when You're Expecting.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

StinkyPatnz- You know, you're totally right! I got to thinking about it just now and Alex Cross was a James Patterson character (those novels with the nursery rhymes names). Color me stupid! I guess that's the hazard of reading too many books from the same genre, right?

Now I suppose I can stop thinking of Freeman while reading Kellerman books...

• integ
    integ

"Then is finished, The mystery of God" I don't know who wrote it, but it's a fascinating work of fiction.

• bebu
    bebu

'Waaaay back in college when I took a lot of psych courses and a few counseling courses, a friend lent me a book called "Effective Biblical Counseling". I read it with the thought it might give me one more perspective in helping others. ...Instead, I benefitted from it myself: my depression left, and I lost 20 stubborn pounds without dieting. (I realized later that many folks go into psych because they are trying to understand themselves most of all! ) I found this book again lately, and still think it's excellent.

I'm our church's librarian, so mostly I'm reading thru new and old "inventory". That and news on the web. And posts here. It's been fun.

bebu

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

"The Beauty Myth" by Naomi Wolf

It is an excellent book about women and how they are affected by media portrayal, and how images of women are used in media to perpetuate said beauty myth.

I also just read "Kissing the Witch" by Emma Donaghue

That is a book of fairytales retold, most with a feminist twist.

~Asortafairytale~

• Gwydion
    Gwydion

Just finished reading the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald next I think I am going to pick up Uncle Tom's Cabin. Catching up on the classics I guess

• Francois
    Francois

Hmmm. Lessee

Just re-read all of James Heriott's books. Best reading I've ever done. You know: All Creatures Great & Small and three others. Wonderful stuff.

The Fatal Shore, Robert Hughes. Epic of Australia's Founding. Excellent.

The Gathering Storm, Winston Churchill. Famous story about start of WWII.

The Nanny Diaries, Emma McLaughlin. You wouldn't believe it till you read it. I never realized the super-rich were so, so, so common.

Secret Soldiers, Philip Gerard. How we outfoxed the Germans with sound trucks. Fascinating. With rubber tanks and tape recorders, we faked 'em out.

Body of Secrets, James Bamford. Incredible stories about the National Security Agency. Makes your skin crawl to know the truth.

Now, could I please ask for your help in locating some books of the genre I really like, and that's historical fiction. I just can't get enough. I've read all of Jimmy Michner, all of James Rutherford, all of Gary Jennings. Anyway, I would so much appreciate hearing your recommendations for historical fiction, with two exceptions. I am Civil Warred-OUT. I have never read a historical fiction about the civil war, with the exception of Gone With the Wind. Also, I don't think I want to read anything else about the Holocaust. I am holocausted out. Over-exposure I guess.

But other than that, I would really, really, like to hear your historical fiction recommendations.

Many Thanks,
    francois

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just finished "Enigma" by Robert Harris.

Far superior to the film, with a totally different ending.

I just wish that the "Inspector Morse" series hadn't finished.

Englishman.

• hurt
    hurt

About finishing Salman Rushdie's "East, West" and "Step Across this Line".

Recently finished: Dominique Lapierre's [incredibly moving] "The City of Joy" and John Grisham's [disappointing] "The Summons".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit