What are you currently reading?

by Sirona 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman. This is a book for parents of pre-teen and adolescent girls, to help them help their daughters deal with the challenges they face as they try to fit in and navigate the social behaviours that are imposed upon them by the social hierarchy known as "cliques".

Here's what is on the back cover:

Parents CAN make a difference in Girl World

Do you feel as though your adolescent daughter exists in a different world, speaking a different language and living by different laws? She does. This groundbreaking book takes you inside the secret world of girls' friendships, translating and decoding them, so parents can better understand and help their daughters navigate through these crucial years. Rosalind Wiseman has spent more than a decade listening to thousands of girls talk about the powerful role cliques play in shaping what they wear and say, how they feel about school, how they respond to boys, and how they feel about themselves. In this candid and insightful book, Wiseman discusses:

• Queen Bees, Wannabes, Targets, Torn Bystanders, and others: how to tell what role your daughter plays and help her be herself
    • Girls' power plays, from birthday invitations to cafeteria seating arrangements and illicit parties, and how to handle them
    • Good popularity and bad popularity: how cliques bear on every situation
    • Hip Parents, Best-Friend Parents, Pushover Parents, and others: examine your own parenting style, "Check Your Baggage" and identify how your own background and biases affect how you relate to your daughter
    • Related movies, books, websites, and organizations: a carefully annotated resources section provides opportunities to follow up on your own and with your daughter

Enlivened with the voices of dozens of girls and parents and a welcome sense of humor, Queen Bees and Wannabes is compelling reading for parents and daughters alike. A conversation piece and a reference guide, it offers tools you need to help your daughter feel empowered and make smarter choices.

One thing that I've noticed as I'm reading through this book, is the astonishing similarity between what is being described as the social hierarchy of adolescent girls to what I observed among JWs (which has been confirmed many times over by people on this forum) as a JW, and the social hierarchy that exists in congregations/circuits etc. Even the act of shunning or excluding people is included as part of this dynamic.

If anyone is interested, I'll post some excerpts as I go through the book.

Love, Scully

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

You could check out this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/themes/index.shtml

Kate Atkinson and Margaret Atwood aren't in the list so its obviously a travesty. I have read 27 out of the hundred - a lot of my 27 are the childrens titles! I suspect that a lot of the nominations were on "worthiness" rather than an enjoyable read, but there's food for thought.

• gumby
    gumby

I PLAN on reading Thomas Paigns......."The age of Enlightenment". I have heard from many it is a interesting read on an outlook on life and religion/God

Gumby

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am reading Thunder Rider's Burden and a fluffy book called The Cat Who Smelled Glue (Mom loves these books and keeps giving them to me to read)

I don't read much unless we are on vacation. My next book to read is The Mists of Avalon.

• badwillie
    badwillie

"All God's Children" - I just finished this book, I thought it was excellent - very enlightening.

• version 2.0
    version 2.0

Last nonfiction: "Odd Girl Out" by Rachel Simmons, "Good to Great" by Jim Collins.

Last fiction: "Fury" by Salman Rushdie.

One of the best things about being freed from the WTS is not feeling guilty for reading what brings pleasure and expands the mind instead of the latest article in the awake about the yellow-bellied sapsucker and how it brings praise to god.

I like the work of Anne Rice, Tom Robbins, Rushdie, Doug Coupland and Bret Easton Ellis.

Tom Robbins' latest one is called "Villa Inca" and it comes out soon. Should be a good one!

d

• dedalus
    dedalus

On a huge Updike kick. Just read Couples, which was amazing. I didn't read it so much as inhabit it, such is Updike's descriptive prowess.

Am currently reading the Rabbit novels -- sort of like watching the America I wasn't alive to see, or was too young to remember.

Dedalus

• Sirona
    Sirona

Fe203grl, thanks for the list

Some great books mentioned here!

I'm finishing off "The Vampire Lestat" by Anne Rice. I'm also reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller.

Next I might try The Stand by Stephen King.

Sirona

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I am reading Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series. (He's a child psychologist who solves crimes on the side). I just started a couple weeks ago and I'm up to book three http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/675/104-3559281-5975912. I have also purchased The Inferno by Dante Alighieri and The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, both epic poems; and I have finally ordered Crisis of Conscience.

Sirona-

If you read The Stand, get the uneditted version! I've read 90% of King's novels and this is in my top 3.

• nowisee
    nowisee

the case for christ -- lee strobel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit