What's Expected in Field Service?

by Cold Steel 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Do all potential converts have to take part in field service before baptism? And do new members generally try to bring in their friends and family or do they generally keep their religion to themselves? What do Pioneers do if they're going door to door and chance on someone they know or work with in their personal lives? I mean, you knock on a door and your boss or coworker answers in a bathrobe and a t-shirt.

Has this ever happened to you? What would you say?

And are JWs still pushing bible study? Lately they just give me some magazines and leave. I notice that many come in two cars. They head out and around noon-thirty, they all head back to the cars and I think they go to lunch.

They used to ask for donations for their magazines years ago. Who pays for the magazines they distribute?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Do all potential converts have to take part in field service before baptism?

Yes

And do new members generally try to bring in their friends and family

Yes, there are regular guilt tripping sermons about people who are bloodguilty for not trying to convert everyone they know.

What do Pioneers do if they're going door to door and chance on someone they know or work with in their personal lives?

The same sales pitch you use on everybody else.

Has this ever happened to you?

Yes it has happened and it was humiliating.I tried hard to avoid preaching in my own neighborhood, but you still often encounter people you know.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Rebel nailed the first part, so I'll take the second.

are JWs still pushing bible study?

Yes. Let's face it though, they were always supposed to, and some just never progress past leaving magazines because it's easy. Most don't truly want to study with people. It's a lot of work and commitment.

Who pays for the magazines they distribute?

The people that leave them often pay for them. They are supposed to ask for donations, but that's uncomfortable, so many don't.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1)..Avoid houses that look like people are home..

2)..Tell people you're too busy to talk to them,if they ask difficult questions..

3)..Go for a really long coffee break..

4)..Leave WBT$ Literature as a tip for the waitress,so you can count the time..

5)..Call on one more house and call it a day..

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What they are supposed to do:

First, they are supposed to do street work from 5:30 in the morning until it is time to meet for door to door work at 9. During street work, they are supposed to place rags and wastes of paper with everyone they run into, and they are supposed to catch everyone that passes on or near that area.

At 9, they are supposed to meet for field circus. Obviously, they want the whole congregation to show up. They are supposed to spend about 10 minutes discussing the text, organizing the groups, and saying the damnation request they call a prayer. Following that, they are supposed to reach the territory at 9:15. Then they are supposed to walk briskly from door to door, or to each not at home. If they have calls, they are supposed to group them in the most efficient fashion possible and drive aggressively to minimize time spent traveling. They are supposed to BANG on the doors so anyone can hear and respond--not rely on a doorbell that might not work. This is supposed to go non-stop until noon. Running out of territory means taking your iPhone out and calling for a new territory, working not at homes, or rounding up your calls.

At noon, you go and get a poisonburger for lunch (and yes, that's what those things are--when eaten every single day). Eat that en route to the afternoon meeting, and then meet at 1 PM. Arrive in the territory at 1:15, and repeat the process. Bang on doors, briskly walk, aggressively drive, and make sure calls are together. You have a study, it should be 60 minutes long and then you go right back into the territory.

Sometime around 4 or 5 PM, you go home for a quick supper. Throw a TV dinner into the food poisoner (they call them microwaves), and then rush back out for evening witlessing at 6 PM or to the evening boasting session. That lasts until it gets too dark, which can be as late as 9 PM or later during the early summer (and, if it is near winter, use your phone or write letters and waste phone tolls or minutes, data or text charges, or stamps).

Now, as to whether or not people actually do this, joke-hova really does expect this in preparation for total enslavement. Under joke-hova, people really will be expected to work a schedule like the above under punishment of torture and slaughter. And they will be required to maintain productivity. That people don't actually do this (they are usually late, haphazard in going out, dog calls, goof off, take too many breaks, and call in early) is one of the "many imperfections and sins we commit each and every day". Once joke-hova takes full control, everyone will be fully enslaved and will actually be required to keep up the above mentioned schedule. The work will be different, but joke-hova will not put up with goofing off, going in early, or dogging your work.

• Skepsis
    Skepsis

I'm a regular pioneer until they announce I'm not serving as one very soon and the nonsense of dedicating 70 hours each month to an empty mission was one of the things that started my process of awakening.

The material used to preach is so stupid: tracts with questions and 3 possible answers we are supposed to ask to introduce the information, a video that says nothing you are supposed to show at the door... And finally the carts. Now pioneering consists of spebding almost half your hours if not more, standing up in the street waiting.

At least in Western countries the message is not appealing. I know of brothers speaking how well it's worked in Latin America but here in Europe you look ridiculous with that.

When someone approaches you, he/she speaks about the news and where is God. Some even asked us: How are you sure you are preaching the correct version of Christianism?

And we can only redirect them to the website or publications. We are supposed not to have a normal conversation where the two parts can share their ideas. The WT knows they don't have answers to real questions.

Maybe they know it in WT HQ. Now preaching is a work that consists in keeping us busy to not think about all the nonsense involved in being a JW today. Like meetings dedicated to highlight the importance of being present to meetings. Quite circular and redundant.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Show up and endure the next 1-2 hours of utter non sense trying to avoid anyone that really has a real question! It's only important to show up which makes a pretense of righteousness!

just saying!

• blondie
    blondie

How often do jws offer a bible study right away to people they talk to? Not often, it is difficult to bring themselves to do cold calls at doors, let alone jump into a bible study...many jws feel they have to soften people up. Many don't keep records of people who take literature let alone talk about the bible with them. Jws know that they will get everlasting life on a paradise earth whether they convert anyone or not.

• baker
    baker

take brochures with you when you grocery shop, so when you see a likely dub, you can count the whole trip.

• Saename
    Saename

You ask very interesting questions. I will answer each of them based on my own experiences that I had in the area that I live in. Keep in mind that this may not necessarily apply to other regions/countries. I live in Ontario, Canada.

Do all potential converts have to take part in field service before baptism?

Yes. Before you get baptised, you need to become an unbaptised publisher. It's a stage before baptism, and you need to show that you are ready to be committed to the organisation. Hence, you preach and apply the JW teachings to your own life already before baptism. (This answer applies to every single country.)

And do new members generally try to bring in their friends and family or do they generally keep their religion to themselves?

New members are encouraged to preach to anyone, so that obviously includes your friends and family. If they aren't interested, you may also be encouraged to cut all ties with them, but that depends on your congregation. My congregation never encouraged me to stop talking to my family; on the contrary, they often told me that good servants of Jehovah need to be able to keep in contact with their family members and balance this with the JW life (preaching, studying, meetings, etc.) However, they did discourage me from having non-JW friends. They were understanding since I was in high school, but I was expected to treat my classmates as acquaintances, not as friends. I never got baptised, too (I was an unbaptised publisher—still probably am listed as one), so they weren't too pushy about this, but I have no doubt at all that they would "encourage" me to lose all my non-JW friends if I ever got actually baptised.

What do Pioneers do if they're going door to door and chance on someone they know or work with in their personal lives?

Pioneers are expected to treat them as they would any other householder—that is, they are supposed to hand them a magazine, read a Bible verse, have a brief discussion about it, and then ask if they can come back next week to continue their conversation. The same applies to non-pioneers and unbaptised publishers. If I ever encountered a friend from school (which never happened to me as I live far away from the school that I attended), I was supposed to talk to them about the Bible no matter what. However, elders in my area were always understanding about it, so while they did encourage us to keep the conversation going, they also understood if we ever were too embarrassed to actually do so. However, after one such encounter, the elders would usually talk to you about it and encourage you to love Jehovah more—that is, to preach to even your colleagues. If you remained too embarrassed, you could be labeled as spiritually weak in the eyes of the congregation. That would not end too well.

Has this ever happened to you? What would you say?

No, that has never happened to me. However, I did once preach in my high school to my friends about the Memorial of Jesus Christ. This is a big celebration (of Jesus' death) for every Jehovah's Witness, so naturally, I was "encouraged" to preach about it in my school. I did it with a few people (a limited number) and even brought one friend to the Memorial, but I was too embarrassed to do it ever again. Needless to say, I never actually did it again. Young people should never be told to do something like that! (I did, however, lie—or more like suggested—to the Jehovah's Witnesses in my congregation that I continued to preach in my school so that they wouldn't ostracize me or label me as spiritually weak.)

And are JWs still pushing bible study?

Technically they are. You may just not notice it. They did change their technique a bit, I think. Today, they just start with handing a magazine to the householder, and if s/he accepts it, two Jehovah's Witnesses ask whether they can come back next week to continue their discussion (along with the magazine, they would introduce a topic to talk about.) Eventually, those 5-minute weekly visits turn into Bible studies. It happens gradually now. In the past, they were more straightforward with it. (However, they do have special campaigns during which they are encouraged to start a Bible study immediately.)

They used to ask for donations for their magazines years ago. Who pays for the magazines they distribute?

Where I live, they don't ask for donations anymore. The magazines (and everything else) is paid for by those who already are members. They usually donate monthly. Additionally, they ask for donations those that they are already acquainted with (such as non-JW friends or family members that they have Bible discussions with or weekly visits that I already mentioned before), but they never ask strangers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit