What's Expected in Field Service?

by Cold Steel 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

The elders delayed my baptism until the next assembly several months because my hours weren't up high enough long enough.

"What prevents me from being baptized?" Figures on a timeslip.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Skepsis » The material used to preach is so stupid: tracts with questions and 3 possible answers we are supposed to ask to introduce the information, a video that says nothing you are supposed to show at the door... And finally the carts. Now pioneering consists of spebding almost half your hours if not more, standing up in the street waiting.

When it it occur to you it was stupid? When I took the Bible Study, I was astounded they would ask me questions, then not move on until I'd answered it the way they wanted. To read someone two small pages about what they think happens to man at death and expect him/her to accept it on the spot after an entire life of believing otherwise is ridiculous. Especially when the bulk of it is based on a single verse from one of the most insignificant books of the Bible.

Who writes those Bible Study books anyway? Don't you have to have a lot of freedom to pick up on what people are thinking or do you just read the book to them and ask them the questions?

Phaedra » The elders delayed my baptism until the next assembly several months because my hours weren't up high enough long enough.

How long did you stay active? And what made you rethink things?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Cold Steel - "...To read someone two small pages about what they think happens to man at death and expect him/her to accept it on the spot after an entire life of believing otherwise is ridiculous..."

To be fair, they aren't really looking for someone like that.

They're looking - primarily - for already-believers who are disgruntled with their current situation and ripe for something new.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Cold Steel - "...Who writes those Bible Study books anyway?"

These days?

High-school dropouts, mostly.

:smirk:

Cold Steel - "...Don't you have to have a lot of freedom to pick up on what people are thinking...?"

Why would the WTS give a shit about "what people were thinking"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit