What The F..................!

by Englishman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

My nephew has Tourettes. He doesn't swear, or have any verbal tics, aside from a few sounds. His tics are mostly jerking, and touching others. He is only 12, but next year he is going to be in middle school. I'm afraid the touching tic is going to get him in serious trouble. He takes medication for it, but it doesn't completely take the tics away, only controls them a little more.

~Asortafairytale~

• Francois
    Francois

There is medication for this syndrome, and cursing is not its only symptom. I have seen, in this case, a woman who had Tourette's sitting in a restuarant and about every 90 seconds to two minutes, she would let out a hoot that would make any owl proud. And I mean it was rattling the dishes in this place. Tourette's has a very wide range of symptoms, but the cursing at the top of one's lungs is perhaps the most interesing manifestation so that's why so many seem to think it's the only one. As has been pointed out, WTF is the deal that makes the writer point out this tangential point? what does it have to do with soccer? It would make as much sense to point out that the guy "dresses left" or something just as inane.

European footballers! I'll never understand 'em.

francois

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I believe that with many people with Tourette's are symptom-free when completely absorbed in something (I remember a story about a surgeon with Tourette's who also was a pilot. No symptoms when operating or flying. Barking and twitching like mad the rest of the time. So, as long as he's playing, he may be okay.

• manon
    manon

I can tell you one thing if he played for any NY/NJ team sports you folks are in for a mouthful/earful. The credo is you must swear uncontrollably naturally chockful of words.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I believe that with many people with Tourette's are symptom-free when completely absorbed in something

Right.... I know a teenager who has a mild form of Tourette's. When he's focus on something of keen interest, the symptoms do not manifest themselves.

• foreword
    foreword

They can always duct tape his mouth if it causes a problem......

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I can tell you one thing if he played for any NY/NJ team sports you folks are in for a mouthful/earful. The credo is you must swear uncontrollably naturally chockful of words.

Using obscene language within earshot of the referee is a bookable offence and warrants a yellow card. 2 yellow cards in one match gets you sent off the field of play, so now your team have to play the rest of the game with only 10 out of 11 men on the field. It's tough out there.. Englishman.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

ooooooooooooooo, Englishman said f......

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

My Brother has Tourettes, he doesn't cuss, he does cough, clear his throat, have jerky movements with his arms, claps, etc. My sister had a client with Tourettes, one of her tics was to say "F**k me in the A**Hoooollleee" man, can you imagine...not even realizing your saying this? Talking to the grocery clerk and that slips out...It's a serious deal, but can be dealt with humorously too.

And yes, with extreme concentration some tics diminish or go away completely (for the duration of the period of concentration). My brother, who is also mentally handicapped (go figure) can normally make it through Mass without too many tics. When he gets excited, they really start flying. Watching Jeffy watch Wrestling is a ball. Jeff is 34, lives in a Silva home (independent group setting for the handicapped), he taught himself to read and write using the TV and TV Guide...Jeff is just AWESOME, and a great brother. I'm proud of Jeffy, I foresee his picture appearing on the board sometime too.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i wonder if there's ever been a JW with TS. do you think the JWS would theink the person would have a demon?

just imagine a meeting where a special talk is given where the speaker says that this is god's organisation, and someone with TS shouts out "Bollocks!". now that would be funny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit